1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook called me this evening...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bag0b0y, Sep 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Your first mistake was answering the phone when you don't know who it is.
    Never answer the phone, always wait and return a message. Always assume it's bull**** wanting money.

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

:):grin::(:eek::cool:

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Say this with respect, but our Savior needs a serious hardware upgrade. I know he appreciates vintage wares, but just... no. Jesus, no.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You should keep trying the number till you get a response. I once got an email from a Nigerian prince and things have never been the same since I responded.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, they send a sign-in notice to your email if a computer signs in from an unknown location. They don't call.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Water unto wine.

Don't doubt the Jesus.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's a hipster.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Facebook never calls anybody and you really can't call them unless you have connects and some determination or very specific questions on ad spend. They don't even make themselves very available for inbound calls from major ad accounts--doing outbound for random accounts doesn't seem plausible.

If that person calls back, f**k with them and ask them if they're on the Facebook security team. If yes, congrats, confirmed sketcher/scammer. You could then ask how they hash passwords, and what process they went through with the Adobe leak to discover vulnerable passwords to put that person in a tight spot. or just proceed with general f**kery. "What is your CPU core Blazit-Gamut Index?" "What Python module do you use to grave the diggits?"

<--tech aside-->

FWIW, the algorithmic approach to detecting repeated invalid login attacks in my mind is either a high failure rate on two-factor authentication calls (though how many users actually use Login Approvals is an open question) or a range of IP addresses that historically have nothing to do with your account suddenly racking up a whole bunch of missed hits on your account.

Google dashboards those attempts for you and lets you determine what constitutes invalid attempts. Facebook plausibly has a similar way of detecting attempted account brute-force attacks but a) has enough encryption to know it'll be pure brute-force and b) are smart enough to set an automated flow for the thousands to millions of users going through those conditions that doesn't involve escalating to calls.

Also, there is no Facebook office in Port Arthur.

all said, don't trust those who call you from any major tech company unless you're a major API user, or a major ad account. anybody who claims to do so deserves to be ignored or f**ked with depending on your preferences.

<--aside over-->

9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Update: I just found out my friend pranked me. My wheels are turning for payback.

10. Mr. Clutch

That is an absolutely hilarious prank.

11. raj87

raj87 Member

[​IMG]

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Just sleep with his wife / gf / so

That should teach him a lesson.

13. Mr. Clutch

Go to his house and literally kick his door in.

1 person likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Friend his wife on another account and start an affair.

#aneye4aneye

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Your friend pulled a fast one on you. Now you must drink his tears.

[​IMG]