1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looka like a bomb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's a sad new world, but given the level of mass killing going on around the country, people in charge of children have no choice but to err on the side of caution. They are trained that way and there are less repercussion for overreacting than for missing a real threat.

dumb kid was dumb, his clock looked possibly dangerous and that qualifies in 2015

In 1960, I carried a TV tube around the playground and told everyone it was a bomb.
    No one cared, ha!

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a sad new world, because we allow to be that way. It's really sad when we think it's ok to treat kids this way.

I wonder when was the last time a school actually has a real bomb incident and when did a bomb actually was detonated in a US school. I can't recall one in recent time.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The thing is, NOBODY thought it was a "real threat." The police, teachers and administrator didn't call in a bomb squad or evacuate the students. They also never accused Ahmed Mohammed of bringing a real bomb to school-- only something that could be perceived as a "movie bomb" or "hoax bomb."

There was no concern for actual student safety at work here-- the only question was whether the student is bringing his clock for the purpose of causing a scare.

It was fine for them to question him. They should certainly determine that the clock is not actually dangerous-- which they did pretty quickly. And it was proper for them, even after determining that there is no real danger, to investigate whether a student is trying to scare others in school.

What crosses the line was how they went about the questioning. They didn't have to handcuff the student. They also didn't have to detain him for hours and denying him an opportunity to see his parents or counsel. Why take such harsh tactics when there was no imminent danger justifying it?

6. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

7. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

8. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

9. Anticope

Anticope Member

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

TEXAS: Where white kids walk around with open carry and Muslim kids get arrested for making a clock.

11. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

ITS RIGHT IN THE ARTICLE

LEARN TO READ!

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

From the article:

Then tell me what they are blaming the political leaders for if they think that the way this kid was treated is justifiable.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Typical BS from our pathetic president. How about you invite the family of Kate Steinle or the children of the murdered police officers to the White House, Barack?

14. HillBoy

Using your "logic" and I am being generous with the term here, please explain what any of that has to do with a 14 year kid who's interested in science and engineering. I didn't see his name on that list - did he somehow bear responsibility for the actions of others elsewhere in the world. If so then while you are at it, further explain why white male students being similarly held responsible after what's happened at Columbine, Sandy Hook, Everett High School, Portland Junior High School, Lindhurst High School, East Carter High School, Central Junior High School, Thurston High School, Heritage High School, Santana High School, Chardon High School and so on.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

#Muslimprivilege.

My mother is rolling in that cold hard Muslim privilege.

Muslims got it easy in the U.S and Christians are being oppressed here... AMIRITE!?!?!

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

fwiw, it does look like a bomb

17. HillBoy

No, to be honest, it looks like the inside of an old Atari or Nintendo game console. But that's beyond the intellectual capacity of the Irving ISD & Irving PD to comprehend.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, but when you are dealing with educators you aren't dealing with the best and the brightest. I get why they freaked out, which had nothing to do with racism btw, but the reason I get that is because I know what their foolish mindset is. I remember back in high school when a kid got suspended for a switchblade comb, they freaked out like he'd stabbed a bunch of people. I remember a kid getting suspended for wearing a shirt for a band called "Bomb Squad".

When you deal with public school teachers, principals, and administrators, you have to know that you are dealing with really, really stupid people most of the time.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It looks like a circuit board.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can someone show a picture of this so-called "hoax bomb" next to a picture of a similar-looking real bomb.