1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looka like a bomb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There's a joke in the picture somewhere. I think its about the cop in the background. Possibly about him being black. I just can't quite come up with it. Afraid it'd bomb.

/no racist

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I just want to know who took that epic picture and why. It couldn't have been his folks.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think what he was supposed to do was nod and say "Yes'm" when they accused him of bringing a bomb to school. You gotta go along to get along.

I actually don't have much quarrel with how the teachers handled it. I don't like how the police handled it. He had a device that disrupted class. It may as well have been a cellphone. Their policy is it gets confiscated. The thing has a bunch of wires so they're concerned. Fine. Sounds prudent and not yet harmful. Call him into the office to discuss. Alright, sure, let's air it all out. But, now the cops are involved, they detain him for a long time (possibly violating his civil rights in the process), won't accept rational explanations, get frustrated when he won't admit that it is anything other than a clock, arrest him on god-knows-what-charges (seriously, I'd like to no what charge they had in mind at that time and what reasonable suspicion they could point to), and perp walk him for no reason.

Well this is wrong. Putting a child through a prolonged interrogation without representation is harsh, and if he wasn't read his Miranda Rights at the beginning or it was not made clear that he was free to leave during the interview, he may have a civil rights case just on that. Arresting him on trumped up charges again is harsh -- though I give them credit for at least not putting him in a cell. The perp walk through school is harsh, it impugns his reputation. If this story hadn't gone national, I could see him having to put up with accusations of being a terrorist from the other Irving kids for the rest of his tenure there.

3 days suspension is heavy compared to the transgression, which was literally nothing. 3 days suspension means that in the school's eyes, that is still a hoax bomb. They've got nothing to show that it was a hoax bomb. They indict themselves with that suspension.

As for why he brought the clock, you've actually seen a good explanation over and over again, but won't accept it. He wanted to impress a teacher. I don't know if you have kids, but mine do it. And, I remember I would do it too when I was a kid. Did you never show a teacher a story you wrote or a picture you drew or a photo of the birdhouse you made, or anything?

There was nothing wrong with the kid's judgement, except that he gave school officials too much credit and trusted them too much. He assumed they wouldn't be racist xenophobes and that they would have his education and his best interests at heart. That's the attitude I'd like our young minorities to have; unfortunately, it requires some reciprocity.

Yeah, the boy wouldn't cooperate when they asked him why he brought a hoax bomb to school. He just kept telling them it was a clock.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

6. Major

Major Member

Except no one actually thought it was a threatening object. Or if they did, they are idiots for not evacuating the school.

7. what

what Member

He did. And he said so. Also, the engineering teacher did and he said so. I'm confused by you.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You cannot read mind, that I'm quite sure of. And again, you are making connections that doesn't exists. Are you even aware of what your mind is doing? Slow down a bit and watch it.

Let me try reading mind here as an example. His engineer teacher knew the other teachers are bias toward Muslim, are idiots and would be so blind and dumb to not be able to tell the difference between a type-writer and a Mac, thus wisely advice the student to not show it.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

He might have been high on lean

10. what

what Member

that's a direct quite from Ahmed, how the hell am I trying to read his mind?

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Dude, you read too much into everything in a bias way. I heard the interview and if that's what you are referencing to, you are reading it the way you want to read it.

I don't remember the exact quote, but I recall he saying that he didn't want to make it SEEM like a threat by locking the box, thus he used a simple cable. He of course said it's a clock and a clock isn't a threat to anyone, so we do know that he believe and think it was not a threat. Also, you and I have no idea from that interview if he was referencing to that box before or after his teacher told him to put the box away.

But EVEN if he thought it COULD be perceived as a threat, it does not justify how the school and PD handled it. You don't do that to a kid. Like I said before, I don't fault the teacher for reporting it. The actions and next steps though are ridiculous.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Glen, take heed.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

stop lying

They don't fault the cops, but they still think it wasn't right. You are twisting their words to fit you disgusting pig-headed racist view of the world.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

1. If the teacher/principal knew it wasn't a bomb and thought the kid was playing a prank, why the dog and pony show with the police?

or

2. If the teacher/principal didn't know it was a bomb, but it looked suspicious regardless, why was the suspicious item handled so poorly?

Everything about this was done so embarrassingly and it's shameful there are posters here defending their actions.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I wish I were Muslim and could get all those jihadi privledges.

Obama only let the kid to the whitehouse because He's a Muslim himself.

I can't believe that 43% of republicans think Obama is a Muslim still. That's kinda the entire problem all wrapped up in one fact about Republicans. Half the party is stupid and crazy.

Seems that the half on Clutchfans is part of the 43%

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Are you a school administrator?

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Make GARM great again!

19. Major

Major Member

Again, if someone thought there was a live bomb in the school, why wasn't the school evacuated? They just kept all the kids there to get blown up if the bomb went off?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member