1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looka like a bomb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This is the modern world post 9-11 (although it isn't all because of 9-11. Everyone is afraid.

Afraid to screw up, afraid to offend, afraid to be non inclusive, afraid to have a real opinion, afraid of a terrorist attack, afraid of violence, afraid of being labeled intolerant or a racist, afraid of being an individual, afraid to fail and afraid to be extraordinary.

Do I think the teacher really thought it was a bomb? Did the police? Did anyone? I doubt it... but no one wanted to be wrong and no one had the balls and common sense to look at the circumstances and tear the clock apart and look the kid in the face and say; "be smarter"... Everyone delegated to the next authority, because that is what we do in a Bush/Obama world. No one thought for themselves or took responsibility... Because no one wanted to lose their job or be a meme for ridicule. The fact that public school teachers and cops were involved only guaranteed common sense and rationality were never possible.

2. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

3. hlcc

hlcc Member

4. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

So you want a 7 year old who drew a stick figure to be arrested and interrogated for 90 minutes. Does that even make sense?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What kind of logic is that just because one person who got victimized by a type of injustice didn't get nation-wide attention, then it's wrong for other similarly victimized persons to receive attention?

Yeah, there are plenty of idiotic disciplinary things going on in schools because of "zero tolerance" policies-- which by the way, wasn't a result of 9/11 as much as it was a result of freakouts about school gang violence in the late 80s and 90s-- and not all of them are gonna go viral on the internet or receive presidential attention, it doesn't mean than it's wrong for any of us to pay attention to one of them. It's just the nature of how information spread nowadays.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

About as much as your dumb as hell equivalence did.

Seriously how old are you?

Are you downbytheriver's new account? I'm actually fairly certain you're just the latest in the long line of whoever is creating those troll accounts.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

OBAMA YO!

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You seems to lack basic understanding and made connections that doesn't exists.

If someone drop off a device at your front door without any additional info, you investigate it.

If your neighbor 14 years old kid come to your house and show you an electronic project and tell you it's a clock, you don't need to investigate it. Or, you could go crazy, call the police and both of you and the cop go nut and handcuff him and ask him why he made a faux bomb.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I can understand this. Doesn't excuse stupidity or the "he's a muslim thus of course" bias that was shown at least by one of the cop.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What he doesn't know that it's not just Muslims. Obama is handing privileges to all of us minorities, immigrants, pagans, atheists, basically anyone other than white Christians.

We get them at the Obama goodies meeting on the third Thursday of every month.

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

when did I even remotely suggest that 7 year old kid should be arrested & interrogated for what he did? I'm just pointing out why he didn't get a white house invite.

Also, the 7 year old in your story drew a picture showing him shooting another kid, and he subsequently gave that picture to that particular kid. He only got suspended for 1 day when the other kid's parents complained. If he ended up getting arrested & interrogated by the police like what happened with Ahmed, I'm pretty sure Bush would have invited him to the white house.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh every person that views themselves as a victim points to another tangential situation to justify or validate their opinions...be that the left or the right, it is what this country now does. As far as 9-11 playing a part in this, of course it does. In the 1990's I could have brought something similar to school and rational minds would have prevailed and it certainly would not have been national headlines.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Not excusing it at all, simply pointing it out.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

He didn't even show it off, the alarm went off and the teacher made him show it.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not saying you excusing it at all, just simply pointing it out. :)

16. Nook

Nook Member

Ahh yes the right wing distraction..... Fools fail to see that Obama is as much a part of the "authority" as anyone that doesn't have "Bush" in his name. Obama and the wealthy traditional establishment went about it in a different way, but they both have used the system to their own advantage and now ARE the system. Let the right wing idiots get mad that Obama voices opinions on individual black people and let the left wing mopes say he is their guy... Because at the end of the day he isn't any different than any of the others.. He is a part of the system.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You forgot the gays, some of them are white, and christian.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

People are skittish these days. Can't blame them really. Bad things have happened recently, so I don't blame the teacher for being paranoid. However, I don't understand the handcuffing of the kid, and the interrogation. I haven't read the entire story, so I don't know if the boy wasn't being cooperative or something. Regardless, it seems like the entire thing could have been straightened in a matter of minutes.

20. what

what Member

He said that he closed it with a simple cable so that it wouldn't look like a threat. He (not the cops, not the teacher, not the school) said that he closed it with a simple cable so that it wouldn't look like a threat.

If he thought it might get misconstrued as a threat, the logical thing would be not to bring it to school.

Say what you want but he knew, his engineering teacher knew and he did it anyway.