1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looka like a bomb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Like I thought 5 pages ago, wasn't this thing small? And it was. And the photo makes it look like a briefcase so people find the school's and cops' actions justified. It's been hammered many times over the last few pages, but it needs to be repeated: It's not a briefcase. Please retract the arguments based on the assumption that this device was a briefcase.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

More conjecture and assumptions from the usual suspects

What if...

Had it been a bomb...

He might have been planning a future event...

I just love the justifications and pathetic arguments in favor of profiling a Muslim kid from TX as a hypothetical bomber.

GlenDice really believed that faux outrage bible story? Boy was he duped as usual.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

What I find particularly insulting is that these imbeciles thought this kid was so stupid that he'd build a fake bomb, bring it to school AND willingly show it to teachers knowing full well that he would be taken into custody. I mean, he'd have to be a total moron to do something like that but that's the mindset over in Irving these days whose bigoted and dimwitted mayor is politically scapegoating Muslims for personal political gain. The bozo mayor in Farmer's Branch did the same thing years ago with his "holy crusade" to rid that city of all undocumented citizens by denying them housing. Wound up costing the city millions in legal fees.

5. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

RIP to the people who took all but one of those pictures. :(

1 person likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Couldn't rep you again, so I'll quote you instead. And, I'll quote you also because this is the perfect and concise analysis for this case. There's no what-if here, or 'it's reasonable for them to be afraid that....' The administrators and cops at the school were smart enough to know it wasn't a bomb. They pulled this kid from class, interrogated him for hours (without legal counsel, I think), put him through a humiliating perp walk exercise, and detained him in juvee not because they thought there was actual danger, but because they had ascribed to him the worst motives for a symbolic gesture. Just like What did back on page 1 or 2, they dismiss the notion that a 14 year old might seek the approval of a teacher and instead assume he must have a very sensitive understanding about how he can manipulate the fears of others and is out to cause as much mischief as possible. And they didn't consider the damage they could cause the child (or the blowback they'd catch) if they were wrong in their assumptions.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP to our browser windows upon opening the pic.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem here is that stupid people no longer realize that they should be ashamed that they are so stupid.

Used to be that when someone discovered that the "bomb" was a clock, they'd shrink with embarasment. Now they think they are justified because the smart kid didn't put a giant label on it to help the mouthbreathers understand what's what.

Stupid people, at least have the decency to be embarased by your stupidity.

1 person likes this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is very true and has been for awhile. GlenDice, in this thread, is a perfect example of the phenomenon. When his story about some kid getting expelled for reading the Bible is exposed as a hoax his reaction isn't "****, I was misled. How'd that happen? I'm pissed/embarassed." Instead, he carries on like nothing happened. It's very strange.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Exactly. There was never a credible thought that it was ever a bomb. There is a presumption that it's a faux bomb. But based on what? What exactly does the school and PD see that think it's a faux bomb? The kid said it's a clock and they proceed to not trust him. What is it about him that they don't trust? Why was it necessary to handcuffed him? Was he an actual danger to the school? To the public? To the people around him? To escape? To himself? They couldn't have just walk him out without being handcuffed? Why was it necessary that they question him w/o his parent? Why was his parent not allow to see him?

The problem is how they treated a kid. They treated him like a criminal. Worse, as reported by at least how one cop reacted to seeing him - "Yup. That’s who I thought it was", they send a message that treated him like that because of his look.

12. what

what Member

if he would have sent this package to the white house, you are going to tell me that they would have done absolutely nothing to him? they would just have patted him on the back, saying good job ahmed.

ya'll are ridiculous

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You mean like mailed it in? You are crazy if you think reaction to mailed in package is the same as reaction to a school kid showing it off in his classroom.

Data means nothing without context.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Again, when did conservatives become such sissified bed wetters?

15. what

what Member

Oh, you mean that a school, where there have been mass shootings every year for the last 10 or 12 years, that it's different?

It's the same harmless clock, the white house would know that if they aren't idiots. They know it isn't a bomb but a school project.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lol, at the law enforcement hating liberals who really don't realize this was a dry run for an actual attack.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's not a gun nor a bomb. We already cover this.

There were no basis to believe it was anything other than what the kid explained it to be.

The WH would know its not a bomb and investigate why it was sent and for what purpose if it just show up without any other information.

18. what

what Member

And that's exactly what this teacher did, investigate WHY he made it.

And while this isn't necessarily part of the debate here, I question why Ahmed was back talking the teacher when she said it looked like a bomb and he said no it looks like a clock to me.

Also, a homemade clock has the same danger connotation that a gun does when you don't know what it is.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So either the school staff were genuine in their suspicion of the alleged bomb or they are bigots ****ing with the kid.

If it's the former, I have a question for the school staff. If they were genuinely concerned it might have been a bomb initially, why didn't they IMMEDIATELY evacuate the school?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's wrong with this? If the teacher wants to insinuate that he purposely brought something that looks like a bomb to school, he has every right to defend himself.

My understanding is he has an interest in electronics, and he brought something to show his engineering teacher. Later in the day, his English teacher happened to see it (he had kept it hidden away on the advice of his engineering teacher), didn't understand what it was, and jumped to a conclusion that it was a bomb or something he was trying to scare people with.

As others have pointed out, if she genuinely thought it was a bomb she didn't follow the appropriate protocols. And if she thought he was trying to scare people with what's simply an electronics project, that just speaks to her own ignorance.

#220 durvasa, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015