1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looka like a bomb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 15, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

*tinfoil hat*

Remember how his dad has tried to run for President of Sudan numerous times?

Perhaps this was just an elaborate ruse to get a meeting with Obama and facilitate something.

2. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

You're wrong, the marines heard the terrorist clock his gun in the bathroom

3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Poor kid. Glad the charges were dropped.

The school and the police definitely overreacted. It is very likely that lawsuits will be coming their way. I really don't like the paranoia that has been plaguing the United States for the past 10-15 years. Loosen up, America.

That said, Ahmed's parents should have been more socially aware of this country's current tense climate and potential strong reaction his clock (circuit board + wires) may have elicited...even if the reaction would have been incorrect and overblown due to teachers unfamiliar with electronics. And strongly advised the kid to make something else.

This is not the first time that a student brought something to school as a science project that was mistaken for an explosive device and caused a stir in the community. It's happened at least a few times in the past 10 years...those students weren't Muslim though.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Remember, for every 1 incident you hear about, 50 have been foiled thanks to preventative measures that do not get press. Stereotyping is a big part of this because.. well..

it's based on reality.

It's based on empirical evidence.

Check yourself, kid. You're punching in above your pay grade and it shows.

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1st) Are you seriously going to pretend like you didn't just clown yourself by posting a fake news story about some kid getting suspended for reading the Bible?

2nd) Why are wingnuts such bed wetters? Isn't it exhausting to go through life terrified all of the time?

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

OH LORD

This is the furthest thing from empirical evidence

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ahmed:

Suspended 3 days; still suspended until Thursday.

I wanted to impress my teacher. She thought it was a threat to her. Sad she took the wrong impression for it. I want to go to MIT. I'm thinking about transferring schools. Thanks to supporters on social media.

Says he's going to the White House;
    Police still have the clock

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IStandWithAhmed?src=hash">#IStandWithAhmed</a> - Ahmed's family offers pizza to crowd of waiting media at their home. <a href="http://t.co/GfCxTv2vna">pic.twitter.com/GfCxTv2vna</a></p>&mdash; Abu Hudhayfah (@AHudhayfah) <a href="https://twitter.com/AHudhayfah/status/644254676087652352">September 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ahmed Mohamed's family orders pizza for media. Nicest people. <a href="http://t.co/JeNLVx0wIU">pic.twitter.com/JeNLVx0wIU</a></p>&mdash; Shaun Rabb (@shaunrabbfox4) <a href="https://twitter.com/shaunrabbfox4/status/644250120662351872">September 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Any pork salami on the pizza?

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Ahmed's press conference just ended. The kid is transferring to another school and I don't blame him one bit. He has no interest in meeting with the school dumbasses (my term not his) since he's leaving MacArthur HS. The family has retained a lawyer and won't meet with the police without counsel (smart). The father spoke and you could hear the anger in his voice (I don't blame him - I'd be beyond livid if that happened to my son). Irving ISD deserves every once of ridicule for looking like the brain dead jackasses that they have made themselves out to be.

10. what

what Member

I've been an avid Barack Obama supporter, but he is just dead wrong picking a side in this situation. How many times has he given speeches after the fact of a mass killing at a school and the first time a school actually does something right to make sure kids are safe, he undercuts their authority.

This is the wrong move Obama has made as president.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You were funnier as T_J. Please, Conquistador, ride again.

12. malakas

malakas Member

they should have stopped that girl and NOT handcuffed the brown boy with the arab name for mking a clock. As you agree racial profiling is wrong.

if my kids went to that school I would transfer them. Who wants their kids taught by morons who think circuits = bomb?

13. what

what Member

Nobody thought it was a bomb

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

My reaction when it turns out this was all an elaborate plot to meet Obama in order to assassinate him:

[​IMG]

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I find it hard to blame the teacher or the school. If they legitimately did not know what it was, they were both right to push it up to someone who does.

That said... they need to be careful phrasing what's happening when they called the police. If you call the police and use "bomb" and "school" in the same sentence, the officers are going to get all cranked up on the way over and go bananas when they get there. If they explained that a kid brought in some sort of home made electronics and they just wanted to make sure it wasn't more than it appeared, it's hard to blame anyone but the police for overreacting.

16. malakas

malakas Member

IF noone thought it was a bomb then why they confiscated the clock, called the police, suspended the student, interrogated him handcuffed him and send him to a prison facility?
    I didn't know clocks were illegal.

17. what

what Member

They did all that because they did not understand his motives for bring a clock like that to school and they did not want to let something like this go unreported if Ahmed had other things planned in the future.

Clearly everyone knows now that ahmed did not have anything else planned, but if I'm the teacher, I'd report it too.

18. hlcc

hlcc Member

clock his gun? is that another dangerous clock?

I suggest you re-read the news articles regarding that event.

“We heard a gunshot and we heard glass breaking behind us and saw a train employee sprint past us down the aisle,” Sadler said. The trio then saw a gunman entering the carriage with an automatic rifle, he added.

“As he was cocking it to shoot it, Alek just yells: ‘Spencer, go!’ and Spencer runs down the aisle,” Sadler said. “Spencer makes first contact, he tackles the guy, Alek wrestles the gun away from him, and the gunman pulls out a box cutter and slices Spencer a few times. And the three of us beat him until he was unconscious.”

I still fail to see how this is an example of successful profiling, the 2 soldiers (again not Marines) heard a gun shot, saw the terrorist walk into their carriage and cocking his gun and they reacted heroically.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We are a country were RULES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN PEOPLE

Rocket River

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, spelling rules.

1 person likes this.