1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you keep, Brooks or Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

If I had to pick it would be Martin.

I still think Brooks might be sent off for a big name

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Before the trade, I think Daryl Morey predicted that Martin was a smart guy who would adjust to the team defensive concept.

He might be second guessing himself now.

3. choujie

choujie Member

Wrong. If Rafer could finish half decent as Lowry (get fouled) getting to the lane instead of his ugliest floater in the world, Rocket's offense would look a lot better. Rafer's floater and the inability to get fouled did more damage than his 35% 3pt shooting.

Lowry didn't start in Memphis didn't mean he was worse than the rookie starter. It was a direction their Franchise chose to go. Just like if JVG is still coaching Rockets, AB wouldn't get the chance over Rafer, and likely to play behind Lowry.

4. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

he also said they need to be balanced and have offense as well as defense but if we do a sign and trade I doubt a team would not want to include either one of them.

5. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

keep brooks, he just signed my bobble head of him. he is in the valley again to watch the vipers

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Brooks' value in the league is more inflated than Martin's.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Keep AB and let Martin go, then sign T-Mac to the vet minimum to be our starting SG.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Did you even read the last paragraph? The question was posed and then I gave my thoughts (though I didn't give a particular player positions were given.) Sorry for assuming anyone on this board would realize that either one would be traded and not just released or allowed to walk (especially since both are under contract). I apologize.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lowry didn't start, and has never been a starter, because he is limited offensively.

He is a change of pace guy, someone that pushes the ball......it works with Houston because he had CBud, Landry and others that could finish.

But as a starter, he would be exposed big time for his lack of shooting ability.

Lowry is a different type of Bobby Jackson, but just as effective, change of pace only.

DD

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lay off him? Bad idea, that's just giving him a running start. Andre Miller and D-Wade, for example... If he can develop a mid-range game, that is all he needs. You do NOT need a 3-pointer to be a successful player in this league. Shall I list all the HOF players that did not shoot many 3's?
    False. Again, I cite Steve Francis. The best finishers in the league get to the line to close out games. How many games did Steve win for the Rockets in the 4th quarter by getting do the free-throw line and working the refs?
    How old is he again? You talk all day about Aaron Brooks potential, yet you don't give a YOUNGER player that same chance? You have to give him a chance before you label him, and it was EXACTLY the same with AB.
    Yup... And one person believed Dan Langhi was the answer...

#70 RudyTBag, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  11. DaDakota

No doubt, a midrange game would be great, let me know when he gets a good one.

ROFLMAO - Steve Francis and winning games in the 4th quarter at the FT line, uh...not many.

I agree, he can get better, I certainly hope he does.

If you were around then, you would know I was saying that in jest after a summer league game....having fun by exaggerating.

Lowry might start on some teams, but not on the Rockets he is not good enough to beat out AB.

DD

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Lowry started 21 games for Memphis in 2008-09 before management decided they couldn't let Conley not play anymore. Nice try though. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kyle_lowry/career_stats.html

Also, the topic of this thread is: IF you had to pick one, which one do you keep? Your answer of "gah! offseason's here! keep both, duh!" are pretty pointless. Try to stick to the thread topic, please.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Nearly every single game we won was Steve Francis getting fouls and "and 1" buckets. Don't diminish his history as a closer, he had that ability.

How about D-Wade at Dallas in the playoffs? By no means do the refs swallow the whistles in the playoffs, and sometimes it is the opposite.

2. Stop lying...
    The search function is very handy, and you were not in jest when talking about Dan Langhi and Marcus Fizer who you had pegged as studs.

3. Until he is given a chance, like AB was, we will not know that. Most everyone believed trading Rafer was a bad idea, because NO ONE had any real confidence in Brooks, but he got a chance...

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

When Rondo first came into the league, remember how the other team guarded him? His defender just backed off and guarded the passing lanes rather than guarding Rondo.

You need to be somewhat of a threat from 3-point range to be successful.
    Even for Lowry... he can hit those wide-open 3s.
    Rose can hit wide-open 3s.
    Even Rondo (now).

I think the top ten PGs in the league are all spectacular or at least decent shooters...

Paul - Career 35.3% from downtown...
    Williams - 36.1%
    Brooks - 38%
    Rondo - 24.4%
    Nash - 43.2%
    Nelson - 38.7%

etc. etc.

With the lone exception of Rondo. Most good PGs are considered threats from downtown.

15. DaDakota

Sorry, I think the thread topic is silly there is no "either or" option.

How did he do in those starts?

Link to the 21 starts averages

In those starts Lowry has averaged:

9.0 ppg
    42% FG
    17% 3pt
    4.8 assists

That is not bad, but hardly compares to Brooks.

Meanwhile his stats off the bench are much much better......don't you think Morey knows this?

Do you?

DD

#75 DaDakota, Apr 17, 2010
  16. DaDakota

I was EXAGGERATING for fun on Langhi, I did like him but not as an all star.....as for Fizer, yep, liked him a lot, he never panned out.

How would a guy that joined in 2006, know this? Unless you were formerly banned, what was your previous user name?

OMG....MOST people thought trading him was a bad idea, LOL......maybe only the stupid ones thought that.

The intelligent fans could see that Rafer was horrible.

DD

#76 DaDakota, Apr 17, 2010
  17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Then why respond? Here's what it is:

It's not "would you get rid of one?", like you're trying to respond to. Quit being an old man and taking the fun out of the thread by trying to play both sides -- the point of the thread is to decide which player is more important to the Rockets success. We're not asking you to pick which of your kids you love the most in front of them -- if you can't decide which of the two players you'd boot for the other, there's no sense in pretending to be a coach or an arm-chair analyst. :)

Sorry, the whole point of the thread was to see which players posters feel is more successful to this team. It's annoying to me when people come in, gasping at the thought we could be discussing this because we shouldn't get rid of any of them! They're both great! ...

It's the off-season, it's when we put everything under a microscope to cure our boredom from not caring about the playoffs without our Rockets in them.

Then I guess you should have said, "Lowry has put up better stats in his bench role than he has in his brief starting role" instead of "Lowry has never been a starter". You're a contributing member, feel free to go edit to make your point correct/clear.

The stats you posted are irrelevant -- different coaches, players, personel, system, etc. I just posted the Memphis starts to refute your claim that Lowry has never been a starter.

And I have no idea what Daryl Morey thinks of Kyle Lowry. Neither do you. I do know that he's willing to match any offer he gets, despite the luxury tax ramifications -- so he must think pretty highly of him. Or maybe he anticipates trading AB this summer .. who knows.

18. DaDakota

Well that is what he says, but that doesn't mean that is what he will do......

And I like Kyle too, but I don't believe for a second that if he gets a larger deal, that the Rockets will match.

It is one thing to say that, it is another to actually do it....and it is not DM's money, it is Les's......

Maybe he does....

I suspect that Scola will get done early and Lowry will drag out.....just a guess though.

DD

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, the question is not to choose between Brooks and Lowry. Why are you comparing them. Few people are arguing Lowry is better than Brooks.

The choice is between Brooks and Martin. Besides comparing which of these two guys is the better player (which is very debatable), we also need to consider which has a better replacement. I think it is not hard to see that Lowry is an adequate starting PG while we have NO good starting SG on our roster.

And don't tell me Morey would not trade either Brooks or Martin for an elite 2-way player.

20. DaDakota

Easy, it is a question not worth answering, because it is incomplete, who would we be getting what does the rest of the roster look like.

But, just to appease you.

Brooks.

Martin is not a go to guy, he can not get off his own shot, and late in games the refs swallow their whistles.

Not to mention his FG% has been on the decline...I like him, but hope he rebounds some to be honest.

DD

#80 DaDakota, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010