1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case for Patrick Corbin to replace Dallas Keuchal...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SKYGODZ187, Oct 1, 2018.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

1. He is a lefty.
    2. He is younger although it's just 1 yr.
    3. Would feel better about giving him money rather then Keuchal and his so so type of play.
    4. Would flourish with this def behind him.
    5. If Dallas goes (crossed fingers) and Morton decides to leave either FA or Retires. It would be a smart move to shore up ur 1 2 3 in the rotation.

Note: Houston haven't spent that much in freeagency as of late. Last notable FA Josh Reddick. This could be the type of player that could change this club . 16m per for 3yrs with team options on 4th and 5th yr where he gets a pay raise of 3million . Sounds like a sure bet and a great add if you ask me.

2. HTown2017Champs

Not opposed. I know NYY is heavily targeting him, and he's from New York State and his entire extended family are big Yankees fans. But if we could snatch him to keep him away from the Evil Empire (a la Gerrit Cole), I'm not opposed. If we keep Morton, I hope it's only one year, MAYBE two, max. Still not 100% confident in him being able to stay fully healthy for a complete season, his "discomfort" and the game with the velo drop only reaffirm that).
    2019:
    1. JV
    2. Cole
    3. Corbin
    4. Morton (1-yr QO, Whitley slides into this spot for 2020)
    5. James

Speaking of Reddick, praying we can trade him for prospects (even if they aren't that great, which they probably won't be) to dump some $$$. These moves also make Valdez expendable, as much as I love him, his control is concerning.

Though the contract you laid out sounds a little low based on what I've heard, especially since he's coming off a career year.

3. Major

Major Member

With James, Valdez, and Whitley in the pipeline, and McHugh still available for a starting role, I don't see any reason to spend on a FA starter while you still have Verlander, Cole, McCullers and maybe Morton, especially with all the money that's going to be needed to retain all the offensive players in the coming years. Obviously, we lose Verlander next year, so maybe you preemptively go for a FA starter, but I'd rather give the others more opportunities first and only spend if needed.

4. Buck Turgidson

I don't think he's playoff eligible this postseason.

Joe Joe and bobrek like this.
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

My case is see if u can nab him if we dont have to trade prospects then that is better. We have to remember will Verlander resign and how much for Cole?

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Don’t see the Astros spending on pitching other than retaining either Morton or Keuchel.

Whitley, James, Valdez, C Perez, Martes, etc are in the immediate contention for fifth starter. McHugh can start, so can Peacock. There’s strong prospects like Bukauskas, etc from the last few drafts that will develop over the next few years. Morton has a 2-3 year window that is suitable to be replaced then. Don’t want to close that window.

Retaining Marwin with him being a super sub on paper, either McCann or Maldonado, Possibly a DH if White struggles in the ALDS and the Astros lean on Gattis, uncertainty about LF though I think Tucker or Straw can claim it. Hinch can be creative and manage it well. I think Astros spend more on position players this winter

7. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SWTsig, CrushCity and RunninRaven like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d rather resign Morton and have James/Valdez/Whitley/Perez/etc compete for the 5th spot. They will need money for extensions, arbitration raises, and a catcher.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Will be interesting what they do at catcher. I think they will try to bring back Maldonado, but there are plenty of catchers available, which could be cheap.

No way we spend big in FA. If it is a market like last offseason, we can probably spend the money to keep Keuchel or replace, otherwise it probably will be internal, with McHugh probably being the front runner and James taking his spot in the pen. I expect Valdez to be kept in the minors as the 6th starter we have to have. I do think we'll sign at least 1 starter, but that is most likely re-signing Charlie Morton to a 2 year deal.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This. They have too many internal options to go pay market price for (their) 3rd or 4th starter.

Use that money on re-up’ing Verlander, Cole or Morton.

11. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Can Astros afford to lose both DK and CFM? JV and Cole are great. LMJ will give us 3/4 of the season. Would everyone be ok with McHugh, James, Valdez, and Whitney competing for 4 & 5? But then I wouldn’t be surprised if Luhnow go out and trade for a Cole type SP this offseason with some chips (AAAA players) we have.

12. baubo

baubo Member

Keuchel is 100% gone. I think Morton will also leave if another team will give him a big multi-year deal, but the Astros probably willing to give him one year at maybe $20mil which probably isn’t enough.

But the Astros are known to have lots of pitching prospects with strikeout stuff now that they’re developing, I see them replacing the production in-house. Perhaps even do more of that Rays starter/bullpening stuff to make use of quantity instead of quality for some of our younger starters.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(Internal monologue) You know what would be the perfect post two days before the Astros begin their defense of the franchise's first championship? One about the 2019 roster. NAILED IT!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Better than watching boring NL tiebreaker, WC and NLDS games. Keep us busy till Friday.