1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Stockton the hate grows

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by srrono, Feb 4, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Member

As a Houston Rockets fan I have always hated John Stockton well now I have another reason John Stockton named his son Houston Stockton is this his last elbow in the throat of Houston Rocket fans.

Link
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20061020/ai_n16805176/

Stockton's son blazing his own trail
    by Brad Rock Deseret Morning News

Just a Stockton. Flying under the radar.

I tracked down Houston Stockton by phone in Missoula, Mont., this week, though it took a few tries. He probably wasn't looking forward to the call.

Mine was the first interview request the University of Montana's sports information office had received about him. The son of you- know-who is in college, a redshirt safety with the Grizzlies. Could that much time have passed? Could the ageless John Stockton really have a son in college?

Renowned rock climber Bonnie Prudden said: "You can't turn back the clock. But you can wind it up again."

That happened countless times with John.

Now another Stockton is on the clock.
    Related Results

* Playing his game: Stockton's son working hard as backup point guard
    * Miller son takes reins -- for drive to the top?
    * The Stockton clan keeps up tradition
    * Robert Field Stockton

Weber State plays perennial I-AA power Montana Saturday in Ogden. Although Houston Stockton won't be at the game -- redshirts don't travel with the team -- it was an irresistible story: The son of one of basketball's greatest players embarking on his own career. Missoula is a great place to play football, but an even better place to go incognito. On the bright side, it's a big-time, smaller-size program. On the brighter side (for any Stockton), the only media are several small TV and radio stations and one daily newspaper.

In a 20-minute interview, I learned the 5-foot-9, 160-pound Stockton is indeed his father's son. He offered the following anecdotes, but only after considerable prodding: He does get teased by teammates about being the son of a famous athlete. And his nickname is "Stock."

Other than that, it was fill in the blanks, same way it was for 19 seasons when his dad was in Salt Lake.

How the younger Stockton ended up in Missoula is a simple story. At his size, Notre Dame didn't want him. Neither did Utah or Washington State, for that matter. He grew up in Salt Lake, spending his freshman year of high school at Judge Memorial. But when John retired, the family moved back to Spokane. Houston enrolled at Gonzaga Prep, where his father's journey began. There the younger Stockton played basketball and football.

He was (surprise!) a point guard. Asked to compare himself with his dad, he said, "Compare? Um ... I'm not as good as my dad. No way."

Football was always his first love anyway. When he graduated, he drew interest from Idaho of the WAC and Montana of the Big Sky. He went with a quality program -- currently rated No. 2 among I-AA schools -- over a slightly bigger but less successful one.

Growing up with a famous parent can have its pitfalls, but Houston says his father never pushed him. Still, he admits, being John and Nada Stockton's son has its perks. He spent many a night running in and out of the Jazz locker room after games. At age 5, he met all the members of what is arguably history's greatest basketball team -- the 1992 Olympic Dream Team. He remembers being poolside in Barcelona and tucking a ball in Patrick Ewing's arm and hearing him say, "So, you're a lefty."

He also talked with Michael Jordan ("a nice guy from what I remember") and his favorite, Charles Barkley. Houston's younger brother Michael once wandered into the visiting team's locker room and ended up sitting on Barkley's lap during a TV interview.

These days, there are no Barkleys, Jordans or Ewings hanging around. Not even a stray Antoine Carr. John has inconspicuously attended two Grizzly scrimmages and watched them play at Eastern Washington this year.

The younger Stockton claims no aspirations of playing in the NFL, saying he's "just nervous (to contribute) because I'm pretty small." He's considering becoming a bartender when he graduates, same as his grandfather.

Though he admits to being "a clone" of his father, he says he's not interested in becoming famous.

"I'd rather keep it low profile, definitely," he said.

As if it could be any other way.

2. roksoer

roksoer Member

everyone knows this already + john's middle name is houston

3. srrono

srrono Member

can I remove thread I didnt know this was old news

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Houston Stockton. I'm surprised this little jerk hasn't ended up in prison yet, what with the lack of positive male role models in his life.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is a poster here who went to school with Houston Stockton and always posts about him. Has some weird mancrush type thing going on. Real odd.

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

BTW, this is old news anyway. No big deal. Whats wrong with STockton naming his son Houston? I dont even know why this is even a topic to hate on.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Old news and plus since I am not a Klingon I do not hold the sins of the father on the son.

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

John Stockton is our daddy ;)

9. LScolaDominates

Two things:

1) Nerd.

2) It is a logical fallacy to conclude that you "do not hold the sins of the father on the son" from concatenating the premises (a) Klingons hold the sins of the father on the son and (b) you are not a Klingon.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Un-****ing called for! :mad:

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

lol.. i know.. i know.. bad joke... but we still got 2 rings to their none :grin:

12. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I hated stockton when he played, ofcourse that shot still leaves a scar. BUt now that he is gone, especially after his hall of fame speech, he was a once in a lifetime player(not even once in a generation) and the greatest pg ever in my opinion, character wise. they don't make him like that any more, can you imagine how much marketing money he could've gotten if he wanted(being a clean cut Caucasian who was as good as he was), but he kept it low profile and only about hoops and I definitely respect him now that he is gone.

13. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Game Action and Roster Moves

14. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Why is every other cuss word censored, but people can go around saying John Stockton all willy-nilly? It's ****ing bull****!

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Thank you!

16. conquistador#11

He could probably start for the texans (non)Defense already!

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL Utah Olajuwon.. jk