1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets target potential ahead of roster needs in draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 21, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7063524.html

[rquoter]For all that remains uncertain for the Rockets heading into Thursday's NBA draft — which is deep in mid-first-round talent and has the Rockets holding a mid-first position they would like to change — there are a few considerations that are clear.

The Rockets' draft-night track record under general manager Daryl Morey has been to ignore the roster and perceived needs and consider only prospects' potential. And the Rockets always look to — and usually do — change their draft position.

Morey has said there is a 50 percent chance the Rockets will not pick with their own selection, No. 14. They have not drafted anyone with their own pick since Aaron Brooks in 2007, Morey's first selection as Rockets GM, and they have been working to move up into the top third of the first round this season.

Even if the Rockets remain at 14, their willingness to ignore roster needs likely will give them a range of choices

"At 14, we're trying to identify what's the best talent available," vice president of player personnel Gersson Rosas said. "We try to stay away from just picking for need or picking based on what the market says. We want to identify the best talent. We don't want to leave talent on the table after we pick.

"We know the roster changes very quickly. Wings might be a position of strength right now. With a busy offseason ahead, we might make moves, and the depth at that position might be gone. We try not to let our roster affect it at all."

Whether they consider it, the Rockets could use a center/power forward with size. There are several — Hassan Whiteside, Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton — with potential to be available in the middle of the first round.

There to be taken

The Rockets' roster seems crowded with small forwards and shooting guards — Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier, Chase Budinger, Jared Jeffries, Kevin Martin and Jermaine Taylor. But the draft features a deep group of players at those positions or skill sets — Xavier Henry, James Anderson, Paul George, Gordon Hayward and Luke Babbitt - with several potentially lasting to the Rockets' position at the end of the lottery selections.

Just as they are not motivated to fit a player into their roster, the Rockets seem likely to value "upside," even if that means greater risk. Prospects such as Henry, Whiteside, Babbitt and George might be more long-term projects, but the Rockets are more likely to evaluate "what" a player will become rather than "when" he will reach that potential.

Long-term view

"We value upside strongly," Rosas said. "We're also looking at things we feel translate a little bit stronger, whether it's skill set or physical, athletic tools guys have. There is some upside you feel the risk might be too high. It might hurt the chance of a player fully developing. I wouldn't say it's all upside. It's a combination of both.

"The way we look at this decision is not a one-year window. We look at it as a three- or four-year window. We use the example of Aaron Brooks. We got killed in the media. We got killed in the public. Teams were like, 'What are you doing?' We had four point guards — Rafer (Alston), Steve (Francis,) John Lucas and Mike James. We felt, 'This guy (Brooks) has special talent, speed combined with finishing and shooting.' His overall offensive upside was too special to pass."

"For us, it would be a productive night if at 14 we're able to identify a guy who has not only the talent but the ability to develop at a high level," Rosas said. "Overall, the talent in this draft is strong. Up front, it's pretty deep. We feel we're going to get a player we're excited about. This draft, compared to past drafts, has a little more depth."[/rquoter]

2. Dei

Dei Member

I'd be happy if they just traded back for this guy:

[​IMG]

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

So the Rockets value upside, and in the other thread it say's that they may be looking for a big man... interesting...

Oh why can't it be june 24th already... :(

--RB

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you keep pimping Whiteside, you'll get disappointed when it doesn't happen.

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I would like to see the Rox move up in the draft, but I also think it would be pretty cool if they ended up with, say, #14 and #15. I think they could get two pretty good players that would help in the future.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I never even mentioned Whiteside in my previous post, I could be Larry Sanders or Daniel Orton for all I know...

--RB

7. h0uston83

h0uston83 Member

I would really like the Rockets to go after Whiteside and Sanders. Man just by looking at their pre-draft workouts and youtube videos-- I feel like these guys can help us drastically!

Sanders reminds me of an undeveloped Carl Landry and Whiteside reminds me of Marcus Camby.

Either way. I think the Rockets might end up getting someone from Europe that we all don't know about, and ends up being the next "Dirk Nowitzki" lol.

Nice thread by the way.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Babbit, Davis, George are the players I'm interested in. I would like it if we moved up a few spots to ensure one of them. One may be available by 14, but doubtful. Getting up to 10ish would be nice. I dont see the point getting up to 4-6 spot. Either top 3 or 10 is where I'd like to be.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like Feigen knows as much as we do, but with less deductive capability.

This administration has no history of drafting for upside over security. We've drafted one fifth year senior (Landry) three other seniors (Brooks, Dorsey, Taylor), one junior (Budinger), and one freshman who we never intended to keep anyway (Greene). The only guys we drafted for upside were ones we planned to stash away in Europe to see if anything developed since there was a low chance that they would be able to contribute in the first place (Llull, Leunen, Newley).

The only argument you can make as to the contrary is that the Rockets have never drafted this high in the Morey years. Will our strategy change? Probably, but to say that we're going to try to shoot the moon to get a diamond in the rough at 14, someone who could still become a superstar but at high risk for failure which is why they dropped that far, to make that proclamation in a newspaper article sounds entirely baseless to me.

At 14 if anything I would think that Morey and co. would be MORE certain to pick up someone with the consistency that makes him a high chance of sticking as an NBA piece. Perhaps they think they can get both a high upside and a high likelihood of success guy at that spot, someone who the traditional stats overlooked but all other metrics pointed to as a future star in the NBA. Somebody who on their internal rankings would have been top 10. My guesses? Xavier Henry and Patrick Patterson.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah lol Well both of the Europeans in this draft (Vesely and Motiejunas) that could have been available at our position opted out of the draft...

But I guess we could pick up Ryan Richards(euro), as a 2nd rounder... :grin:

--RB

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Of course they would, that's how they operate.

Just because people don't know who Carl Landry is and have all types of information on Glen Davis doesn't mean he doesn't have a little more skill and upside.

Same could go with Chase and JT. They see something in these guys that could take them a notch or more above average.

Drafting by needs have been a crutch to teams through the history of the draft, examples: Bowie over Jordan, Oden over Durant, Darko Milicic over Melo, D Wade, and CB4. The list goes on....

I just love Morey and Friends' process, we will finally have a player that we can be excited about coming thru a lottery pick under this regime. :grin:

12. Houston_Rockets

Can people/commentators stop saying that jeferries is a SF??? Do these people even see basketball, or they only read false information about a player and start making analysis based on false facts, trying to look cool and knowledgeable???

PeAcE

13. pbthunder

I would disagree. 1) I think AB was taken for his potential. 2) Last year, when they purchased those 2nd-rounders. That was a long-shot. 2nd-rounders are usually just used to fill in on trades. Even when you make a draft-day trade for them, you look at is as taking a shot. That Les just took a few $ million that he had laying around is atypical of an NBA owner, who is more likely to scream over having to pay a couple # million LT.

14. pbthunder

More likely, it will be somebody we all thought would go later. Our reactions will be of chagrin, though with trust in DM. We'll start to get excited after the Summer League, if then.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This has not been confirmed.

16. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Jeffries played the 3 spot in Washington. I always saw him as a PF/SF, so mentioning him as a player that would get minutes at the wing position isn't off base.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Look who's talking.

BTW, JJ is a Forward. He can be played at Power Forward depending on the matchup or Small Forward. Heck, we even played him at Center at one point in the season.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

For me, there is already enough youth in the team. Hence I'm just crossing my fingers and hope we be able to sign a proven player.

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

abso"freaking"lutely! grab the best player available and worry about balancing the roster later. if a draft pick makes a previous position clogged, starter or bench, that's a good pick! at least we'll know we have an asset valuable on floor or trade.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

EVERY team says they are drafting "Best Player Available Regardless of Need." This is just standard GM talk.