1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Too much turnover?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Mar 2, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

With the exception of Yao - we've pretty much re-made our entire team every offseason and mideseason for the past 4 in a row.

Just counting rotation-ish players look at the evolution, new names in bold, departing names in italics :

02/03 (beginning)
    Yao/Cato/Collier
    Griffin/Taylor/Thomas
    Rice/Hawkins/Morris
    Mobley
    Francis/Norris

02-03 (end)
    Yao/Cato
    Griffin/Taylor
    Posey,Rice
    Mobley
    Francis/Norris

03-04 (beginning)
    Yao
    Cato/Taylor/Braggs/Padgett
    Jackson
    Mobley/Piatkowski
    Francis/Norris

03/04 (end)
    Yao
    Cato/Taylor/Witherspoon/Padgett/Oakley (his cup of coffee is still warm -ha)
    Jackson/Piatkowski
    Mobley
    Francis/M.Jackson

04-05(beginning)
    Yao/Mutumbo
    Howard/Taylor/Witherspoon/Padgett
    Jackson/Bowen/Nachbar
    McGrady
    Ward/Lue

04-05 (end)
    Yao/Mutumbo
    Howard/Padgett
    McGrady/Bowen
    Wesley/Barry
    Sura/James

05-06 (beginning)

Yao/Mutumbo
    Howard/Swift
    McGrady/Bowen
    Wesley/Anderson
    Alston/Barry

05-06 (end)

Yao/Mutumbo
    Howard/Hayes
    McGrady/Bowen
    Wesley/Bogans
    Alston/Head

Now this is not to suggest that a Cato/Griffin/Juaquin Hawkins/Francis/Mobley starting 5 would have blossomed with 4 years together - but is it just me or does it seem like the Rockets have had way too much turnover to keep track of over the last few years? Maybe I'm just getting old - but doesn't this sort of hurt our chemistry? Granted, lots of it is due to injuries and such - I just thought that we've been playing revolving door for players quite a bit recently.

#1 SamFisher, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

That's what happen when you don't have draft picks, and your FA pick ups are often too old/injury prone.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The TMac trade decimated the depth of the team.

Only way to stay competitve is by signing talent on the cheap, which means old players. You have to replace the old players relatively quickly, hence the turnover.

But I really like the direction the roster has been taking. Right now the biggest concern is stocking up on wing players, which is the easiest position to fill imo, whether it be trade, draft, or fagency. We could use an upgrade at pf and pg, but it is by no means a pressing need, and the rox have time to luck out in finding an upgrade on the cheap, and who knows, maybe they already have(the books are still open on Swift and spoony as far as I'm concerned).

4. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Yeah, lots of turn-over, but you have to remember that we've gotten better every year, as well, except for this year. And we would have been better this year if we hadn't had all the injuries. And we could have been even better than that if DA and Swift hadn't been flops. They seemed like good acquisitions at the time, but honestly, always wished they had gone after SAR instead of Swift. Even if it cost us quit a bit, because he would have been a solid player, solid 3 or second-option scorer. Oh well, can't change it now. :(

But back to the point--aside from injuries this year--each of those years have been improvements from the previous.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

While I agree with you to a point, I think the "too much turnover" argument only works on a youthful team, which we certainly are not. (although, to CD's credit, we're making strides in that direction)

Despite all of our roster changes, we still don't have a single player aside from Yao and McGrady that we want to build a future on. (Luther is the heir apparent, but he desperately needs to break through the rookie wall to solidify his position)

Until we bring in a third, and preferably fourth, player to complete the foundation of the team, our role players are going to continue to be a revolving door.

This is actually the perfect opportunity to cut our losses and make a serious move to fix our depth problem. If we keep trying to patch our problems with temporary solutions, we'll end up doing what Philly did by squandering away Allen Iverson in his prime. We need to take advantage of T-Mac and Yao while they're still at the top of their game, but to do so we may have to take a couple of steps backward first.

6. sun12

sun12 Member

Absolutely, I wish they have traded Wesley by the deadline when other teams were interested in him. If the Rox can't make the playoff due to Wesley, so be it. What's so good of it if Rox makes the playoff this year and burns out at round 1? Let's be honest, this team is not good enough to be in the final. This season is gone, let's build for the future.

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

That's why I said we need to use the rest of the season to play Lampe, Fitch, Head, Hayes and Bogans alot! Heck, make this the starting lineup! They are all young, and if we can turn one of them into a starter that we can build around along with Yao and Tmac (maybe Rafer), then mission accomplished. Here is what we have:

pg - Rafer (for the next 2 to 3 years)
    sg - ???
    sf - Tmac (for the next 5 years)
    pf - ???
    c - Yao (for the next 7 years)

We need a young starting calibur talents on the 2 and 4 positions. Howard and Wesley are serviceable, but they are both too old and not good enough for either the short term or the long term. Swift and Bogans are serviceable backups, but not good enough to start. We need to address the 2 and 4 badly this offseason.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

No doubt about it. Turnover is affecting our chemistry. It's no coincidence that the three top teams in the league (Pistons, Spurs, and Mavs) have kept most of their team together for a couple of years now. The Mavs after years and years of overhauling the roster after disappointing playoff performances, have stopped making blockbuster deadline deals, and blowing things up in the offseason. And now they are seeing the fruits of their patience (as much as I hate to say so. :mad: ).

Unfortunately for the Rockets, I don't see how this team is good enough to keep for a couple of years in order to let them gel. Juwan and Wes are old and will only get worse from here on out. Swift, Bogans, Hayes and Head may or may not be good enough rotation players, but I'm not that optomistic about this bunch. Rafer's a decent enough PG, but his 3pt shooting probably isn't going to get much better. He's only slightly below his career average.

So there's the problem. This team needs time to gel and maximize their potential. Unfortunately even at their max potential, this team probably isn't good enough to contend. So we could very well have to revamp the roster anyway, thereby resetting our "Chemisty Clock".

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that we have too much player turnover. I tend to blame it on JVG because he seems to keep complaining not having the right players. But I don't know if it's all his fault.

I feel that we don't have a long term plan after we got TMac. What we kept getting in JVG's first 2 years were old players. I understand that having smart and savvy veterans is important for winning. But these players are all quick fixes. We weren't going to win big with Yao still maturing. We've got to develop a stable core so that when Yao and TMac both hit the peak of their careers, we can contend.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I just tried to list the major rotational players (with the exception of Oakley, just to make fun of him) - if you list the short time-role players who came and left but did play important minutes for stretches (Andre Barret, Rod Strickland, Lonny Baxter, Moochie v. 2.0, ....etc) the list gets even longer.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You forgot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

What turnover? With the exception of the last 2 years, our roster changes are entirely changes to inconsequential minimum players. That happens to every team. Boy, imagine telling that Braggs or a 40+ year old Mark Jackson + an almost equally old Oakley impacts the roster.

The only arguably impact change in the early years was losing Posey. The other non - minimum change was a Spoon Moochie trade, pick your poison. Of course, we did end up picking up the tab on both of them.

Even in the last two years it wasn't because we were purposefully trading the roster just to trade the roster. The ONLY splash trade was for TMac, which decimated our roster and some positions and we were trying to re-adjust for that. In fact, we are still re-adjusting for that.