1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Artest opposes All-Defensive picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 7, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6411831.html

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. — The Rockets’ defensive one-two punch of Shane Battier and Ron Artest was named to the NBA All-Defensive Team second team, the first time the Rockets have had two players honored the same season in more than 20 years.

Artest, however, was not happy about it, believing he, Battier or both should have been on the first team.

“I’m going to stop arguing with these people and telling them that I’m first team every year,” Artest said. “Every team would want me on their team. Shane, too. Who would you rather have guarding LeBron (James) or Kobe (Bryant) than Shane or me? Who would you rather have guarding LeBron, Kobe or Dwyane Wade than me or Shane?”

Kevin Garnett and LeBron James were the first-team forwards, with Bryant and Chris Paul at the guard spots and Dwight Howard at center. Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo were the second-team guards with Tim Duncan at center.

Battier and Artest were fourth and fifth, respectively, in the media Defensive Player of the Year voting. The defensive team is chosen by the coaches.

Artest and Battier were the first Rockets named to the team the same season since Hakeem Olajuwon and Rodney McCray were first-team choices in 1988.

“I’m happy that both Ron and I were able to make it because I think we had a really great year defensively, underrated really,” Battier said. “No one really talked about us defensively. With Ron on the team, it’s great because you don’t see two teammates on the (All-Defensive) team. It’s hard enough to get one.

“I thought when I played I had a solid defensive year, despite the missed time. It took a while to get my rhythm and timing, but I still thought I was effective.”

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The voters are giving the superstars the nod for these all defensive team slots and the DPOY... might as well just rename it to the All NBA team.

3. akuma

akuma Member

Yao should have at least made the second team over Duncan.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's popularity contest with a stats leader sprinkled in sometimes to make it sound passable.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Huh? It's voted on by the 30 coaches? Unless you're saying coaches are voting as if it's a popularity contest?

6. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Didn't Garnett miss like half the season? I agree with Ron at least one of them should have on the 1st team.

But having said that, congrats to Ron-Ron and Shane for the accolade, you guys deserved 2nd team at the very least.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I finally figured it out. Lebron and Kobe got NBA Defensive First team because they are supposedly the only guys who can stop themselves. You always hear "only Lebron can stop Lebron" or "the only person who can stop Kobe is Kobe" so the media, not really being that bright or even into watching actual games, just decided that was solid reasoning behind picking those two.

8. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I am also surprised that neither Artest nor Battier made it to the 1st defensive team. I also initially thought that it is just another case of people not knowing who is a good defender, but then I read that they get voted in by the NBA coaches, so I'm at total lost here. Can anyone give objective reason for why these other players should be above Artest and Shane? I understand that some of these people have better physical ability to defend than Shane but they don't bring it every game like Shane does, so I'm not sure what Shane needs to do more to get into the 1st team.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

even a year later, I'm still baffled that Battier was SECOND in DPOY last year and was on the SECOND all defensive team, WTF? Shouldn't the top 5 in voting in DPOY be an automatic first team? That's just freaking r****ded.....

10. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Its selected by the coaches, and the coaches cant vote for their own players.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I think the coaches were stuck by this dilemma...

they were like...

"Battier?? no no Artest...wait...Battier!..actually nah...prob Artest...hey stop...no! Battier! faarrkkk watever man...screw this.."

nd proceeded to vote corey brewer as all-defensive first team