1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Baby?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by burlesk, Mar 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I'm an ignant yankee now with no tv and two new businesses to run so I don't get to watch any bball -- I just read that Glen Davis is going to declare for the draft this year -- do we want him? Could we get him? I read that he is projected late 1st to early 2nd round...

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Despite what you'll hear I dont think the guy can rebound in the NBA. And he has no defense. Reminds me exactly of Maurice Taylor. Maybe with a tad more heart.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He's definitely not as athletic as Mo Taylor was. I'd pass on him. He's pretty short and doesn't have the athleticism to play any defense.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Big Fatty has hit his peak and won't do well in the NBA.

5. goyao11

goyao11 Member

but hes so big and loveable... :D

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I like Big Baby and wouldnt mind if he were picked up by the Rockets. The fact that he lost around 30-40 pounds after last years final four show's his work ethic and desire to be successful. He's also big and strong enough to bang with the Elton Brands' and Carlos Boozer's of the league.

7. Laozi

Laozi Member

Glen Davis will probaly end up being a better the average NBA forward. His skills are more like a small forward then a power forward, but he does lack true athleticism and doesn't have very long arms. He does have quick feet, but a small gate so he has to take alot of steps to get where hes going. His strength is obviously his biggest asset and if he can lose a bit more weight I think he can be a good starter quality player if paired with a good center. Otherwise he'd probaly have to be a reserve type guy you look favorable matchup for during the game. I could see him being a very good pick and pop type player. On defensive other players who are long and athletic will be able to shoot over him with some ease, but he will be tough to post up against and hes quick enough to defend out on the perimeter.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

he'll definitely go in the second round, prolly towards the ends. I dont really think he can contribute a whole lot at the nba level

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Him and Bonzi are opening up a Pie Shop with Michael Sweetney. Robert Traylor might come out of retirement to join them as well.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The fact he lost that weight shows me just how easy it is for him to balloon up again. Each and every year his metabolism is slowing down and it will be harder for him to keep the weight off. I don't mean to be cruel, but for someone like him, keeping off the extra weight is similar to someone who has overcome an addiction but still has the temptations and urges. I think he will gain the weight back in a couple of years. Plus, it isn't work ethic that lost him the 30-40 lbs; it was a dietary change. With the travel schedule and freedom of the NBA, it will be very hard for him to stay so disciplined with his eating. Taking him in the 1st round would be a mistake for any team.

11. kevwun

kevwun Member

He doesn't have a position in the NBA.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The difference is that Big Baby is about 30-40 lbs. heavier than both Brand and Boozer, that is a HUGE weight difference (and not a good one).

The problem Davis is going to face in the NBA is that almost every PF he'll face will be more athletic than he is. He may have good size and strength, but it won't matter a whole lot when guys can drive right around you night in/night out.

13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

When I first saw Zack Randolph's picture, he was so chubby and cuddly. But later on I found he cracked his teammate's eyesocket with a sucker punch.

14. goyao11

goyao11 Member

lol, but to be fair to big baby, zach randolph is a nutcase :p

15. lalala902102001

Think Tractor Traylor. Think Bust.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He isnt as fat as yall make him out to be. He lost some significant weight this year, I am sure he will lose much more at the pro level. He is somewhat quick, actually uses his first step on slower posts more than Durant does (lol that sounds insane), would have been an insane defensive end. He is shorter than advertised, probably 6'7", maybe 6'6".

But ya. Like I said before. Mo Taylor style.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

he's not tall enough to hang with brand and boozer though.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

or maybe he's chuck hayes with more offense.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

and a whole lot less defense... don't get me wrong Big Baby isn't as bad as this year looked at LSU, but his on court energy isn't near the level of Chuck's.

He is an affable guy who worked hard in the offseason before this season to lose weight and increase his lateral movement, but didn't have any success this season to show for it. He has a decent mid range, but mostly he's a cleanup guy with a few post moves... and maybe once every five times down the court he plays good defense.

Chuck had no problems beating him in college... allow me to demonstrate :)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p3_BueYn4YQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p3_BueYn4YQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

PURPLE!!!