1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Norv Turner Suddenly Resigns from Vikings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was curious about this. . . .what prompted it

Rocket River

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

How quickly things change.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Sam called him Norv the pineapple?

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A followup that there has been no definitive explanation for why Norv Turner suddenly resigned but given the Vikings loss today this is looking like a team in a turmoil after a great start. What makes this odder is that Norv Turner's son is stil the QB coach.

6. Buck Turgidson

You think he's just burned out?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There had to be a major tiff with Mike Zimmer. Maybe details will leak out.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's possible but he said he was resigning and not retiring.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-thought-he-was-holding-vikings-offense-back

Norv Turner thought he was holding Vikings' offense back

When he answered the phone Wednesday afternoon, hours after making one of the more shocking decisions of the 2016 season, Norv Turner had just woken up from a lengthy nap.

"Forgive me, I haven't slept in days," Turner told NFL.com. "This is the hardest thing I've done in football."

Turner abruptly stepped down as the Vikings' offensive coordinator Wednesday morning, leading to former tight ends coach Pat Shurmur's ascension on a short week and creating more questions than answers. What in the world happened?

In Turner's mind, after some difficult soul-searching, it boiled down to this: "Sometimes, you feel like you might be holding them back," Turner said, "holding them back from things all getting on the same page. I don't want anyone to think I was bailing. It just wasn't working."

Turner clarified a few things. He's completely healthy. He doesn't know if he's retiring at age 64, though he admits moving around has been difficult for his wife. He still has immense respect for Vikings coach Mike Zimmer.

"It's something people may not understand," Turner said. "It's not me against somebody else. The situation was such ... I don't think I could get done the things we needed to get done. It wasn't something you just wake up and decide. It's been building. It wasn't going to work with me. So let me get out of the way and let them have a chance to make it work."

A source involved with the situation was adamant that Turner was not forced out by the team. Turner's decision caught Zimmer by surprise, and Zimmer got emotional at the news conference discussing the departure.

In a way, Turner's comments are stunning. He was one of the NFL's most respected offensive coordinators. His arrival in Minnesota in January 2014 immediately lead to optimism about the Vikings' future, and his work with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (working alongside his son and quarterbacks coach Scott Turner) had impressed many within the team.

But Shurmur was a huge proponent of quarterback Sam Bradford, and he helped advocate for the trade with the Eagles. Bradford and Shurmur speak the same language, and have had success. Despite calling the plays, Turner was a bit of an outsider when it came to his quarterback and the shotgun wedding.

Injuries have crushed the Vikings, even with their hot start. From Bridgewater to Adrian Peterson to left tackle Matt Kalil, the entire season has been about slotting backups in and watching them adjust. As one Vikings source said, "bizarre is the new normal."

Turner admits several decisions "just didn't work." Not that there were better options, and because of injuries, there likely won't be many changes heading into Sunday's contest with the Detroit Lions.

Turner mentioned several times "where we are as a team" as a reason for why he stepped away.

So now, at 5-2, the Vikings go on without him. Turner thinks if the defense continues to play well, the team can be successful. But have we seen the last of Turner?

"I haven't made a decision," he said. "(My wife) Nancy and I say, 'Let's get to January and see where we are. That's been the case the last two to three years. But this has been a challenge for my wife. Cleveland, then Minnesota ... and we have a house five minutes from the ocean (in California) ... At 64 years old, if you continue, it would need to be a right place and with the right people."

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet.