1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans sign Gary Anderson

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by giddyup, Sep 10, 2003.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

NASHVILLE, TN, Sept. 10, 2003 -- The Tennessee Titans agreed to terms today with unrestricted free agent K Gary Anderson.

“It was important to us to find a veteran kicker who has made all the big kicks and been in all of the situations,” said Titans general manager Floyd Reese.

“We feel like Gary is the best available kicker and that we couldn’t afford to take a chance with a younger player with the number of games in this league that come down to a final kick. The numbers for Gary speak for themselves.”

A 21-year veteran of the league, Anderson is the NFL’s all-time leading scorer with 2,223 points and 494 made field goals. Over his career, he has made 80% (494-619) of his field goal attempts and 90% (341-381) on his attempts inside of 40 yards. He spent the first 13 years of his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, before moving on to play for the Eagles (1995-96), 49ers (1997) and Vikings (1998-2002). Anderson has played in over 300 NFL games, including 21 postseason contests and appeared in four Pro Bowls.

2. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Holy crap! Gary Anderson must be like a hundred million years old!

But he is one of the best ever. Good pickup.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Thats acutally a nice pickup. Last I heard is, due to the cap they would have to sign someone with only a few years experience. Plus there will now be 2 old man Andersons in the league now.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How was Anderson not playing for anyone this year? :eek:

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

My guess is that his age (44) scared teams off. I think you are right though, he still may have plenty left in him. Morton Anderson is 43 and is still performing at a very high level.

6. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1613277

As I am still a Titan fan, this part of that article isn't that good to hear:

The former Syracuse standout can no longer handle kickoff duties and, over the past four years, he has made just 21 of 34 field goal attempts of 40 yards or more. In that period, he has converted just one field goal of 50 or more yards. It is likely that punter Craig Hentrich, who had three field goals Sunday night after replacing Nedney, will be used by Titans coach Jeff Fisher for longer field-goal attempts.

Hopefully Anderson can get the job done. Heck, at least the Titans did not bring back Al Del Greco.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

damn this guy is like older than DoD and Behad

8. Kill Dirty Stockton

Kill Dirty Stockton Contributing Member

Gary Anderson's one of the few players from the Tecmo Super Bowl so's Bill Romanowski, Jeff Feagles, and Jerry Rice to name a few.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Anderson is old and he sucks. I hate Joe Nedney because he played like crap in 1999 with the Raiders and made senile Al draft the Polish Sausage in the 1st frickin round.

also still active from the TSB roster - (off the top of my head) Rodney Peete Sean Landetta, Morten Anderson, Steve Beuerlein, Vinny Testeverde (although he was known as QB #12), Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Trace Armstrong, (Geez, 4 of these guys are on the Raiders right now :eek: )

I still play this game all the time with my little brothers. All they know is that Bo Jackson is god. ;)

Maybe they'll start to learn someday, but until then the 70-0 ass-beatings will continue.