1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Culpepper to sign with the Lions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-lions-culpepper&prov=ap&type=lgns

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP)—The Detroit Lions are turning to a former Pro Bowl quarterback for help in trying to win their first game of the season.

Daunte Culpepper has agreed to a two-year deal with the Lions and said Monday he would sign it after taking a physical.

“As a result of doing some research on different places to play, the Detroit Lions seemed to be the best fit for me,” Culpepper told The Associated Press in an e-mail. “I am encouraged by the commitment of ownership, the vision of management and the great potential of the talent that is on the team.”

“I hope to contribute to the team in whatever role coach (Rod) Marinelli needs for me to play,” he wrote.

Culpepper, 31, was a first-round draft choice of Minnesota in 1999 and made three Pro Bowls as a member of the Vikings, where he teamed with Randy Moss to form one of the league’s most dynamic quarterback-receiver combinations.

Over nine NFL seasons, Culpepper has completed 64 percent of his passes, thrown 142 touchdowns and run for 33 scores. He had career highs in yards (4,717), touchdowns (39) and passer rating (110.9) in 2004 with the Vikings.

A knee injury the following year ended his career in Minnesota. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Culpepper started 10 games over the 2006-07 seasons with the Raiders and Dolphins, throwing seven touchdowns and eight interceptions.

He had announced plans to retire in early September after being frustrated over not finding work in the NFL.

The Lions have been starting former backup Dan Orlovsky at quarterback after Jon Kitna was placed on injured reserve earlier this season.

Detroit (0-8) lost to Chicago 27-23 on Sunday.

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

So is Kitna finally done?

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

He was put on IR a few weeks ago. I figure he will probably end up as a backup for someone next season.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I meant... like... where will he go?

Back to Cincy? Dallas? Lot's of teams have scrub-a-dubs at the #2 QB.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

As bad as backup QB's tend to be these days he could easily help someone out. A placeholder for a top drafted QB like Stafford would be a good place but the projected teams to take Stafford may have internal options.

Dallas seems a good like a pretty good place for him. Maybe back to Seattle?

#5 Kilgore Trout, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008