1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Gene Peterson calling for Rockets fans to get red and rowdy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4759943.html

Peterson wants volume

We transition from a long-running Houston radio team to an even longer-running show — the pairing of Gene Peterson and Jim Foley on Rockets radio.

Both have had a difficult spring. Foley missed a month of the regular season while recovering from surgery, and Peterson and his wife of 44 years, Marsha, are mourning the recent death of her father, Harold Reimer, at age 90.

Tonight, however, personal concerns give way to preparation for the Rockets' Game 5 against the Utah Jazz.

"I'm still living and dying with these guys, and after the last two games, I'm hoping they can turn things around (tonight)," Peterson said. "I hope the home-court fans will get red and rowdy before the game starts. (In Salt Lake City), we came out on the floor 17, 18 minutes before the game, and everybody was in their seats booing the Rockets like crazy, and it was nonstop."

Even though the team and its fans are still getting accustomed to Toyota Center, Peterson said "the playoffs have been good, and I think (Game 5) will be a good one. The fans have been getting louder and louder, and the team has played better."

Four DVRs, no waiting

Tonight's Jazz-Rockets game and Game 7, if necessary, will air in HDTV on FSN Houston. FSN HD airs in Houston on Time Warner Cable channel 302, DirecTV channel 96 and Dish Network channel 366. The standard-def broadcast airs on its usual channel. TNT has the national broadcast.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Doesn't hurt to ask, but it won't happen. The Houston fan base isn't going to change overnight, especially with optimism at an almost non-existent level.

Rockets fans are more likely to be in their seats 17 or 18 minutes after the game starts, and booing the Rockets.

3. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

handing out red shirts and red thunder sticks to the lower level wouldn't hurt.

4. tsunami

tsunami Member

how about comparing with GS's arena ?

5. ClutchCityReturns

It's too expensive!

Only super-duper rich franchises can do stuff like that. You know, like Golden State, Toronto, and Miami.

:rolleyes: (I hate using this face but it was needed)

6. ClutchCityReturns

I don't follow your point.

7. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Gene Petersen putting the onus on the crowd is like George Bush saying American's don't want to succeed in Iraq. It's suddenly our fault that the leadership has screwed up so badly.

I love Gene, but please, the ROX fans will be there and will be rowdy, but really, if the Jazz manhandle the ROX in the first half or even beginning in the third quarter, it's over for us and if so, I will gratefully cheer JVG's dismissal from the team!!!

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Where did he imply that it was the fans fault? Is there anything wrong with asking the fans to get there early and go nuts? We should know by now that the Rockets need all the help they can get right now. What's the sense of having home court advantage if they don't take advantage of it?

9. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Member

the fans know whats up and they will bring it. but i would rather the players bring it :mad:

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's not saying we've been quiet:
    [qoute]Peterson said "the playoffs have been good, and I think (Game 5) will be a good one. The fans have been getting louder and louder, and the team has played better."[/quote]

This is just a rally cry to make an all-out stand. We're on our heels in a must-win game to regain some momentum in the series. We lose this game, and we're done. We win, we have a decent shot.

But yes, the players are the ones that seriously need to show up.

Evan

11. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Member

will the crowd BOO UTAH on every possession...

how do you think the crowd tonight will be like? do you think we will boo utah from the pre game warmups to the end of the game? maybe our crowd can frustrate utah like their crowd frustrated our players.

12. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

seriously after watching the Golden State game, we need some fan support like that.

13. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Member

ya goldenstate fans are crazy loud

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think it'll be weaker than the first two games, which is still 2 levels above the reg season. Just look around at the defeatist mood on this BBS - the casual fans are going to be worse.

The Rockets are going to HAVE to give the crowd something to get behind. If they come out looking like a mess like they have all series, the place will go cold. Quick. You can only bring your A game for so long when the Rockets are only giving you a C-.

Evan

15. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Let's get red and rowdy and wearing red thru out the city please. Rockets needs our support to advance to the final.

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Yeah Gene, and I'm calling for the Rockets to play like they actually WANT to win the series.. But it doest look like we’re going to get either of them does it? :rolleyes:

17. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Member

im wearing red right now

18. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

At the end of the article it says channel 366 on Dish Network will have the game on HD, but I don't get that channel?!

WTF!?

Can anyone explain?

19. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Finally a freaking HD game!!! :mad:

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Same here, wish I were in Houston today to go to the game!