1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tax Free Weekend Sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Aug 6, 2005.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

You think it's bad dealing with overcrowded malls while shopping this weekend? Try working at an overcrowded mall during tax free weekend...it sucks...i just now got back from work...

I sold shoes to Mase and former Rocket Oscar Torres today...so even rappers and NBA benchwarmers shop tax free...

2. drapg

drapg Member

It's tax free weekend?

How come no one told me?

3. Isabel

Isabel Member

I don't understand why tax free weekend is such a big deal. You can save a little money, but can't you save more on certain sale days? Or just shopping at the right places? Some things are not worth the crowds.

4. junglerules

junglerules Member

Some places do tie in big sales with the Tax Free weekend. Personally, I got some good deals today, and the rainy weather around Austin kept most of the big crowds away. Not too bad, if you ask me....I'm sure tomorrow will be worse out there.

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I'm gonna head off to Katy Mills tomorrow, maybe...if I feel like dealing with the crowds.

6. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Tax free shopping at san marcos was pretty damn good. Tommy had polos in every color for 20 bucks. I bought the Nike lebron II for 79 bucks and some really nice gap polos for 15 bucks..

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you gotta spend a fair amount of money to have an 8% discount mean something. way too crowded, in my opinion, to justify worrying about saving 8%.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Who is "Mase" and why is Oscar Torres still in Houston?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

To some people who have a hard time buying new clothes and school supplies for their kids, I'm sure 8% means a lot. I am grateful that this weekend doesn't mean anything to me, personally.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok, now i feel like crap! thanks! :D

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Move to Oregon, they don't have sales tax.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

One sales person told me that some lady bought a $100 TV (this was in another state) and saved 6% on the tax. She then sent a courier that cost $30 to pick up the TV. :D

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Mase the rapper, I guess.

Woo hoo, I'm cool. :)

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They make up for it with a state income tax. Bastids getcha one way or the other...

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ding!

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Yea, he was at the galleria yesterday...

17. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Was at the Galleria today and the place was SOOOO CROWDED but there were a lot of cool end of summer sales along w/ the tax free thing so it was worth it. Also saw the Birdman there w/ some buddy of his.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

And you should! :p

Actually, with three kids in school, you gotta plan school shopping. We checked out all the sales that occurred this weekend, went to the right places early in the morning, and got all the shopping done with minimum hassle. Mervins had a great sale going, plus an extra 10% off, plus the tax savings. Academy has a great price on school uniforms. All together I spent about $700 for three kids, and got them all the clothes and shoes they need.

I love tax free weekend.

19. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Fortunately for me, working in the team sports/fitness section all the crowds head straight to footwear or apparel. We've got it easy this weekend, although it does suck that we close at 10 rather than the usual 7. I'm stuck there until after midnight.

20. rvpals

rvpals Member

I know how it feels. I used to work in Macy's Christmas Department in the Christmas season right till a week after Christmas. All hell broke loose during that time because people are stressed out.