1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe - Power of the 'Pretty Good' Guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Apr 29, 2014.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

And I hope he goes that route instead of putting all his chips in the Carmelo/KLove/Aldridge basket. Don't get me wrong--I'd be ecstatic if we can get another superstar on this team. But as the team is currently constructed with Harden and Howard it won't take a 3rd superstar to push this team to the top.

2. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

no amount of roster changes will solve ball movement and player movement off the ball short of rondo. who knows if rondo would actually fix that problem too.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

It's the same thing ppl have been saying all along - we need some 3&D players to go with our stars. Durvasa created a great thread on them about a year ago - where has that guy been?

Problem is it doesn't seem Morey is willing to pay market value for these 3&D players, or maybe he can't. Look at Wesley Matthews - $6M+ a year. Nicolas Batum freaking makes like $12M!! Martell Webster (whom I really wanted this past summer) - I think around $7M.

I'd love to know more about these D League guys (Daniels, Canaan, and Covington). I know they're great shooters, but it sounds like they aren't the best defenders - am I right?

I actually consider Patrick Patterson a 3&D role player at the 4 spot. I would love to see us get him - even coming off the bench. I wonder what the market will pay him this summer.

We really need a good wing defender 3&D guy. It's funny that everybody thought Hamilton is such a great defender when he is not. Garcia was supposed to be that guy, but perhaps he is just over the hill.

How are we going to get 3&D players? It just doesn't seem like free agency will be the route, because of the price tag. If only we could go about it the Spurs way. They drafted Kawhi & I believe got Danny Green from the D League?

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope the Rockets go back and entertain the idea of trading Asik to Philly for Thaddeus Young.

5. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

"Superstars??" I mean I'd argue dwight could be considered one but who else on this roster is remotely "superstar level..." Lins a a decent player but not an all-star. Parsons is decent but not a defensive presence. Bev plays hard but wouldn't get pt on any other team in the league. I guess that leaves harden, who would be a decent sixth man on a rebuilding team, certainly not beneficial to a playoff team, (see OKC trading him away/rockets experience)... So no we do not yet have "superstars..."

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Harden has had a poor series against Portland but if you think he's not a superstar, you're delusional. He is a singular offensive talent and his issues are mental and hopefully fixable with the proper coaching and experience.

7. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Harden is a superstar. Streaky as hell but he's better than you're making him out to be. Best 2 in the league IMO, even with his crappy defense. For reference, Melo's a superstar and his defense is just as bad.

If you're in win now mode, Lin, Asik, and Parsons have to be flipped in the offseason for Kevin Love. Otherwise it's wait for 2015 free agency when Lin and Asik are off the books and hope Parsons is willing to take role player money.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

A decent 6th man on a rebuilding team....

Yikes.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This team wasn't/isn't going to the Finals no matter who it faces in the next two rounds. The truth is Portland isn't this team's kryptonite. The intensity and execution required in NBA playoff basketball are.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The first and most obvious and glaring is the decision not to resign Goran Dragic. As Zach Lowe points out - "Houston could have held on to Goran Dragic, a demonstrably better player, but it chose Lin in part because he accepted a three-year contract. Dragic insisted on a fourth year,2 and that was a deal-breaker for a Rockets team dreaming of stars, because that extra year made Dragic less of a trade asset."
    If the Rockets knew thought they had a chance to win it all THIS year, perhaps they wouldnt have cared so much about the 4th year option. However one could argue, that the difference between Lin and Dragic were not so drastic and apparent as it became this year.

Replacing Lin with Dragic, would've given the Rockets a much better two way player, a better fit along with Harden and a much better jumpshooter to take advantage of all the space, Harden and Howard creates. Without a doubt, Houston + Dragic would be leading the Blazers and be a favorite to win the West.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

To answer your question on what other moves should rockets have made, I can't answer it entirely until I see the rockets final results in playoffs, but I will say if lose to Portland they're a good example of just upgrading spots thay NEED, getting Lopez a better center, & getting mo Williams a solid vet 6th man. Rockets needs we're a backup center, PF, & backup wingman or a starter with better D than parsons and let him come off the bench.

Grizzlies another good example, how they got lee & mike miller and are hanging with okc, could we hang with okc with our team now ?

my thing is getting stars always doesn't work, sometimes taking care of the teams needs will lead to more playoff success

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Tisk tisk tisk Zach, the rockets original offer was 4 years, the 3 years was only to up the ante on the poison pill because the knicks were going to match.

13. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Any chance we could sign Shawn Marion?

Assuming we don't get Carmelo.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey paid $8mil for Asik and $8mil for Lin. He also re-signed Lowry for $6mil, Scola for $8mil.

Also, in the NBA capspace is limited. Would you take Batum and Mathews and Webster or Howard? Morey chose Howard. And I 100% agree with him even if we lose next game.

15. bmd

bmd Member

Agree with Lowe. The Rockets went all in for Dwight and so it put he rest of the team building on the back burner. I expect the Rockets to get some better players this off season.

I mean, look at the Rockets role players and look at a team like the Mavs. Mavs have Jose Caulderon, Monta Ellis, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion, etc. They have a bunch of vets.

Rockets need to get rid of these players like Garcia, Casspi, Hamilton, etc and sign some vets who can play.

16. bmd

bmd Member

The Rockets also need a better PG. I love Bev, but he's not a starter.