1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe : Patrick Beverley is a 2016 Marc Gasol All-Star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14924135/a-guide-most-watchable-players-nba

Patrick Beverley, G, Rockets:

Amid the Rockets' puzzling chemistry issues and horrid effort, there is Beverley, playing as if nothing has changed in Houston since last season. He's irritating opposing point guards, canning 40 percent of his 3s and working as an underutilized secondary attacker off the dribble.

When Harden sucks the defense away from Beverley and kicks him the ball, Beverley has a nice pump-and-go game; he can drive for soft runners or knife into the paint, draw another help defender and sling the ball across the court to the next open Rocket in the chain. Houston is most effective when it strings two or three of those sequences together, instead of watching Harden dribble away the shot clock and wing grenades to teammates who have no choice but to launch.

Beverley is a cagey offensive rebounder with free reign to slither in for second chances.

But let's get real: His chest-to-chest defense is the main draw. Beverley's battles simmer with the possibility of physical confrontation. He might annoy some fans, but it's hard to look away.

-------------------------------------------

As much as I like Bev the last couple years, I would say that this observation of Lowe is a joke.

Bev is an overall improved offensive player this year. But be honest, his defense sucks overall. Not as bad as Harden, but he is no where near a lock down 1 on 1 defender nor he will do much chest-to-chest defense this season, in fact, he is giving too much space to the other guards and still can not move to stop them going to the basket.

Bev isn't the main reason for the Rockets failure this season, but he is for sure part of it.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Zach Lowe is cool but he doesn't know as much about baskeball as a lot of people give him credit for.

He says a lot of stupid things that I know are just his options but man a lot of them are flat out wrong.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

In a time where members of this board are constantly complaining about the lack of respect by the media this team gets, I'll gladly take this compliment no matter how silly.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Beverley's defense has been average a lot of times this year if not worse.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When we play our best Ariza is guarding the opposing PG. Bev does not always get it done.

6. Garner

Garner Member

If you're going to make these types of proclamations, you should at least provide some sort of supporting evidence.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

wow - his defense has been pretty rough this year. he dials in after we give up a 20 point lead but early on is overplaying the ball so hard it contributes heavily to said 20 pt lead.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I like Zach Lowe's options, i'm not really sure what they are, but i really like them, and I'm sure they'll make america great again

1 person likes this.
  9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Does anyone know where I can find the advanced player tracking defensive statistics?

I remember seeing stats like 'opponent fg% change' on a site somewhere.

10. hakeemthagreat

I think you guys have unrealistic expectations for what a good defender is. If Bev's man doesn't get held to 0-12, with 0pts & 0 assists it's "Bev's clearly lost a step". Just like offensive players, you're going to have bad nights as a defender too. The question is does he defend every play the same way regardless of how hot his opponent is, which is absolutely.

Bev is a ELITE defender and has helped win multiple games this year off pure hustle, defense or big shot.

11. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

For Ariza to guard Dame - when we have "elite" defender in PBev - says enough about his title as Elite

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he is no longer an elite defender. And thats been true for quite some time now. it actually has regressed gradually since he was named on the 2nd defensive team two years ago. sure the hustle is there. it should always be because thats a big part of why hes in the league. But as an individual defender it isn't anywhere close to where it was before.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Beverley has a GREAT attitude.

Beverley is a GREAT teammate.

Beverley is a really good person from what I have been told by those that are around him a lot.

Beverley has worked on his game and quietly modeled his game to let Harden do whatever the hell he wants, without complaint.

Beverley is NOT the defender that he was, he is often times not even a "good defender".

Zach Lowe lets his personal opinions (subjective) about players influence his professional opinions (objective).

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His tenacity on defense has dipped since he became the only real PG option, but the real decline in his defense, IMO, has been due to the scheme. His role on defense does not look the same to as it did 2 years ago. He seems to funnel his man to certain spaces on the floor instead of hounding them.

I think he still has elite defense in him.

15. hakeemthagreat

What you mean is he's not as aggressive as was. I just don't understand how you say he's not elite lol. Great players score on ANYBODY. The best defenders in the league all are made to look bad guarding the NBA best players night to night. He may not take as many chances, but Bev's defense has been overall outstanding. Again he's won us multiple games with his defense & hustle

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Never confuse effort with skill

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's been notably worse this year than in 13-14, the last time he was really elite. Last season he was flat out bad. He's an overall better player this year and his offensive game has improved. His defense is OK. But he hasn't played elite defense in two years.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Team defense needs to improve, all I will say.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

no he still tries to be aggressive but its definitely overly and unnecessary. he isn't scaring anyone in this league. This contributes to alot of his silly mistakes defensively. Injuries has also played a part in his decline. So no hes definitely not in the elite category. From the looks of things now, he can barely sustain being average on nights these days.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Beverley has found a nice balance alongside Harden.

I don't take issue with him, but that doesn't mean we should stop seeking talented players at any position.