1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: HOU ditched early 90s logo cuz Les A. thought it had become synonymous with losing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ironically, that flying dildo logo and pajama uniform had become synonymous with losing.

2. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Hahaha true!

Here's all NBA logos together for the upcoming season:
    [​IMG]

What is very noticeable compared to NHL & NFL is how a lot of teams want the name of the city and or the team to be included in the logo. I think that makes a lot of them bad. They should stand for themselves or incorporate them in the logo, not just the name surrounding it.

For example, I like the Grizzlies logo but with the Memphis Grizzlies underneath it just doesn't work for me. I also do not like our own logo when it has Houston, the R in the middle and Rockets after it. That's really our main logo right, not just the R?

3. bmd

bmd Member

Same here.

The logo the Rockets have now is distinctive, simple, and clean.

I like it.

But I agree about the uniforms... they should be changed.

And if I had my preference, I'd go back to the ketchup and mustard color scheme.

Look to what the Astros did with their branding. They hit a homerun, pun intended. I mean I'm extremely pleased with what the Astros did. It just feels "right".

If the Rockets can rebrand their team similar to how the Astros did, it would be fantastic.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I think it is league rules that the main logo must have the city and team name as part of the logo.

5. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Really? That's crazy..

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's synonymous with dildo

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Damn it Les.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I like what the Pistons, Sixers, Wizards and (gasp) the jazz did. Just went back to their classic uniforms and tweaked them just a bit. It's what the Rockets should do.

That's what the Astros did and their uniforms are now among the best in the league. THE best, as far as I'm concerned.

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That rocketship logo was dope I don't care what anyone says. The generic ass ones we have now suck. Wtf is that font.

10. basketballholic

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D58LpHBnvsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ok, I gave the R a couple of years to see if it grew on me. It didn't. It's not an abomination or anything, but change it.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

My "source" said the same thing. The logo isn't coming back, the jersey isnt coming back. Get the **** over it. It's not a Leslie Alexander thing, it's an nba thing.

So If tinny has a problem with it, he could always still root for the mavs and Cuban.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

*cries* You're like the first person I've seen that also likes the old logo, breh. :(

Still think my versions should be used for the next Rockets logo, but still haven't received feedback from the organization.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Synonymous with losing? WTF? What a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE decision. Bring back our championship jerseys damnit.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Real Rockets fans don't care about logos or jersey colors. :cool:

17. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

I don't think Les knows how much merchandise sales he's missing out on..

The Astros by far have the best branding in our city.

Simple, bold and classic..

No normal grown ass man is going to excitedly wear that Red R on a hat or a shirt. It's too unique of a style, while I understand the value in that, our logo will never be an Icon.

The Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs, are all boring brands, but they are clean and iconic. They'll never be forgotten or out of style.

I own 4 Astros shirts, 2 Astros jerseys, 4 Astros new era caps, 2 Texans shirts, 1 Texans Jersey, 1 Texans hat.

I love the Rockets more than any of our other home town teams, but I just don't want to wear that crap. It looks like a vampiric family crest mixed with a logo for a ****ty night club. It try's too hard and doesn't reflect the history of our team or the culture of our city.

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

luv the R! but i agree with PJ86, its much better w/o the text.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Astros and Oilers are both ahead of the Rockets. THE OILERS. With that said, 100% of our branding in China is focused on the current scheme. I'm sure marketing analytics are telling a story that has the decision makers hesitant about changing. 95% of the Yao imagery out there has him in red. They're probably scared about losing market share there by alienating the fans.

20. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Yeah. I like the R just fine, don't care for the V pinstripe uniforms. I don't care how much the alternative uniforms resemble McDonald's, they're way better...

Would love to bring back the red/yellow/white uniforms to the regular lineup, and an alternate version similar to that dark blue/red/white Yao Ming jersey
    [​IMG]