1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Cobra Kai (true Karate Kid sequel!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

"Adventures in Babysitting" Shue or "Leaving Las Vegas" Shue?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Karate Kid Shue better than both.

They do mention her character a ton on this show.... even up to the point of what she's doing now-a-days.
    Pediatric surgeon, married to an oncologist, lives in Denver.... Larusso was pseudo-facebook stalking her, while Johnny has no idea what facebook is

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Watched the entire season. Really good, not excellent but good.

I really like how Johnny and Daniel are switching up their mentorship roles. I thought that really brought a great parallel of who they are and what their leadership brings in young impressionable teens.

What I thought was really cool was when:

Johnny starts telling Miguel his side of the story of the events that occurred in Karate Kid. How he was the victim of being bullied by LaRusso.

I've always wanted to see that, and I'm really glad they did it

BTW: I subscribe to Google Play Music, so I automatically get YouTube Red with the subscription. This was the first YouTube Red series I've ever watched, all the other ones seem very meh. Another bonus is no more commercials on YouTube

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not all the way through it but as of right now the least sympathetic characters are discount Jonathan Brandis and Ralph Macchio

TMac'n and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. TMac'n

holy crap...i knew he reminded me of someone! RIP Jonathan Brandis

[​IMG]

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

sidekicks is underrated.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I finished it, IMO the series took a piss with the last 2 episodes.

8. Asian Sensation

Agreed. Not sure what your reasoning is but for me I felt like they rushed it in the end and the pace was really fast like an extended movie that just happened to be broken down into episodes.

I would’ve liked to have seen some more character background and building. I’m not sure how much quality/relevant material they’ll have leftover for anything beyond a season 2.

I still found it very enjoyable.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very similar reasons. I feel like they rushed it too and as such a lot of things that happened felt forced or out of character. It basically made the series feel like this

[​IMG]

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

10 1/2 hour episodes will do that to you.

Most decent series now-days are about 8-10 1 hour episodes.

This was basically a 5 hour movie that had to get through a lot of different characters... even ones that may never play a role in the crux of the series (the big cobra kai girl, the bratty girls, lip/hawk, the brainy kid that talks too much, the HS bullies, Larusso's fat kid that resembles AJ Soprano's early years).

To get more background with Larusso and Johnny, or Miguel/Robby/Sam, they'd probably have to get rid of all the other scenes that involved these other characters.

I thought the tournament episode was done well... stands alone. Only thing missing was some Joe Esposito (why wouldn't he give them the rights to the only song that ever mattered in Karate Kid).

11. VanityHalfBlack

Having each episodes for 1/2 is perfect. The Esposito song has been done and parodied to death on South Park and even The Goldbergs. It was smart of them to stay away from that.
    Paid homage elsewhere like the Miyagi tribute and Daniel's Gi training scene towards the end of Eps 5.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet they brought back the golf and stuff, "young hearts" by Commuter song.

13. TMac'n

But no one ever parodies this song. It's iconic to Golf and Stuff, and not worth parodying.

Joe Eposito probably gets paid for every parody done. Probably looking for his payout, which YouTube probably didn't have if you look at some of the overall quality/production of this show

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It would be a nice touch to series to show a few cameos from the original series - Shue, Kove (Kreese), the other Cobra Kai dudes ... I wouldn't be against them making references to 2nd and 3rd movies.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There hasn't been "that" many parodies.

And, small network issues aside, the song isn't famous without Karate Kid... if he's being advised to hold out for a bigger payday, then the producers were right to pivot to a Queen song.

And not sure in what world Joe Esposito can demand more than Queen... but what the hell do I know.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They mentioned his trip to Okinawa (2nd movie). They also mentioned Terry Silver, Mike Barnes, and "Mr. Miyagi's little trees" (3rd movie).

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Thanks. Only seen first 2 episodes.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

5 episodes in and I'm loving it. It ain't The Godfather, but it's a lot of fun. Zabka is really great and fun to watch.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Actually, the thing that annoyed me most about the series was in the tournament episode.

Miguel's transition to the "dark side" was too over-the-top cartoony to me. He was being super-nice to Samantha and all that, then all that miscommunication happened and he ended up accidentally hitting her at that party (while drunk, and swinging for Robby). Yeah he tried to apologize, but when she pointed out that he probably shouldn't have been trying to hit some guy he'd never even met, I don't really buy that he'd actually respond by challenging that statement. I bought that he would try to hit the dude while sloppy drunk, notsomuch that he would maintain it was a good idea after sobering up.

The only way I kinda sorta buy all that is slavish devotion to Johnny. Except he ignored Johnny prior to the final point when Johnny told him to not fight dirty. Soooo... yeah.

All that said... I still really liked the series. I was thoroughly entertained throughout, even if the suspension of disbelief was palpable at times. Can't wait for season 2.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

SEASON 2 Confirmed!