1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Youth and Discipline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cmoak1982, Mar 9, 2013.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I realize we have a young team and there is a learning curve and there will be mistakes. I like the free wheeling loose offense, it is exciting but at some point there has to be some kind of growth in the discipline department. Inbounding problems, lack of transition defense, late defensive rotation, lack of boxing out and turnovers. These issues are too prevalent and at some point we can't keep using youth as an excuse.

2. Redmark

Redmark Member

After watching team after team choke against the Lakers (that Hornets game rofl), I disagree. Young teams are young, they gonna choke. Excuse or not, that's just how it is.

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I just hope Morey is not so egotistical enough that he will pull the trigger and get a legit coach at the end of the season if the team gets anything less then a respectable second round exit. Even with the youth, Morey has gotten a lot of talented players with tools that could help us do a lot better if the coaching was close to what teams like Denver, Utah or even OKC were getting.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There is talent, but something is lacking. I'm not saying it's McHale or lack of discipline or work ethic with the players but there has to be improvement. No NBA team should ever have inbounding problems. Free lance playing is going to have turnovers but we just look to inconsistent from game to game, imo.

5. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

Did you even watch the game you **** tard? Or did you just hop on your account and go troll McHale because our PLAYERS played like **** tonight?

How the **** does anyone have the audacity to blame the coaches after that game? Did you watch that ****? Jeremy and James both played like ****. I don't care about James's stat line... He should've had another 3 turnovers charged to him for giving the ball to guys with 2 seconds on the shot clock after holding it for 10 seconds. McHale was jumping on the sidelines about it. He was disgusted with our end of the game execution. Just shut the **** up already.

1 person likes this.
  6. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

OMG.. You made a prevailing argument... It is not hard to realize that if you are young and unexperienced.. you are in an experience to make a lot of shots...

7. Spyckie

Spyckie Member

You lose 3 players that have spent a lot of minutes on the court (PPat, TD and Morris) and have helped make the system into what it was and now you throw in 3 players (DMO, TRob, Bev) who need another 10-15 games or so to adjust to the Rocket's system.

What do you expect? Instant synergy and mind reading? Bev, DMo, Garcia, Olb and TRob all need some time to adjust to the team, that is all.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If there is such a thing as a good excuse, then the best excuse of all is youth. I can completely understand that a young team with a dynamic, free-flowing offense continues to make these errors. I would rather have these errors than have even a slightly more rigid system whereby our otherwise offensively mediocre team would be where the analysts predicted - at or near the bottom of the western conference.

You guys need to check your expectations. Getting the #8 seed and getting swept in the first round is a massive success for this season. If you had said on the day we acquired James Harden that the coach's job would depend on whether we make the second round of the playoffs, it would have been laughable.

Due to the nature of AGE, we are still one of the youngest teams in the league, and the youngest by experience IIRC. We are going to be more error-prone even after 3/4th of a season. The advantage is that a team like ours is still learning in the final quarter of the season whereas other teams are past the learning curve right now and just are what they are.

I would rather have this problem than to have a mediocre team that does its best, executes perfectly, and jumps for every rebound yet remains consistently mediocre in the W-L column. Since you can't have the best of both and IT IS a choice, I'm pretty darn happy with how things are going.

#8 Mathloom, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This.....but we still don't need rookies like White

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you think 38 8 and 5 on more than 50% shooting is "s***"...you're just a damned fool.

His turnovers were bad, but don't just ignore a fantastic performance outside of that...:rolleyes:

11. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

We lost because Jeremy Lin played the fourth quarter.

1 person likes this.
  12. wapz

wapz Member

I still believe in our starters. Lin's b2b game though has to improve! this is usually what happens when he is tired and is not an excuse.

still believe in him though! :D

13. art

art Member

expectations have been gradually higher with the team overachieving. we are still one of the youngest/least experienced team in the league. the core guys do not have that much experience in their role. everybody is a first time full-time starter. completely new roster, no training camp with harden. this offense was basically put in on the fly.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Very true. But still...the team has set a clear standard on what their performance should generally be. Beating the Suns is something that they should easily live up to.

15. jeddah

jeddah Member

They will grow a year older next year :)...and by that time they were more or less played against each opposing teams...they will be able to cure this problem..

16. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

That was a fantastic performance by James? Losing the ball countless times for easy transition points the other way, giving his teammates 3 seconds of shot clock to decision make, deferring in key situations in the 4th, and playing what effectively amounted to no defense... I, for one, think the game is about more than stats, and James did not play an effective overall game tonight in my estimation.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

-Our bench kinda sucks now.

-DMo isn't really ready. He's fouling like crazy.

-TRob isn't ready either.

-Lin and Beverly are inconsistent.

-We are forced to play Francisco Garcia!?

I'd like to see Terrence Jones!

18. kastuul

kastuul Member

the trade w kings and suns really makes the team take a step back

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I've noticed that there are times when a shot goes up and you'll see Omer trying to get the board while four other guys stand around and watch him try to get the board. Seems like it's gotten particularly bad recently.

Really need to break that habit between now and the end of the regular season.