1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Previous In-Person Astros Playoff Experience(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Oct 13, 2004.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Any of you ever seen the Astros in person play a playoff game before?

If so, when and where?

I was at game 4 against the Phillies in 1980, the game with the FUBAR "triple play" call that delayed the game for 20 minutes. I was sitting in the right field bleachers at the Dome. I remember chicks blowing kisses at Terry Puhl, and I remember me and my buds almost getting thrown out of the game for getting into a fight with a Phillie fan/heckler sitting behind us.

I was also at game 4 in 1999 against Atlanta, which turned out to be the Astros' final game played in the Astrodome. I remember the total feeling of melancholy after game 3 (the Walt Weiss game) and feeling how the Astros were done for, which they were.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I went to Game 4 on Sunday.

I went to a game in 2001...a day game...but I can't remember which game it was.

I was in 6th grade in 86....I remember listening to Game 6 at school and racing home to watch the protracted ending.

3. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

None as of yet...will ALWAYS remember how bitter I was at the tender age of 8 years old watching the final game of the Stro's and Mets in the NLCS at the YMCA after school...

Hope to make some new memories though as I am going to Monday's game for my first Stro's play-off game!

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I went to Game 4 vs Philly as well in 1980...when I was still living down here.

I came back to see Mike Scott strike out 14 Mets and the Astros beat the Mets in Game 1 of the 1986 NLCS. Glenn Davis' 2nd inning HR was the difference in a 1-0 game.

I went to Game 4 in Shea that yr as well.

I went to Game 3 this yr vs Atlanta...crowd was as good as it gets!

Going to Games 4 and 5 (unless we sweep) this series.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The last playoff game I went to was when I sat in the Rainbow seats in the upper deck of the Astrodome watching the Astros lose the final game of their series with the Braves. This was the final baseball game ever in the dome.

I remember me and my friends being virtually the only people sitting out there in the outfield upper deck ... My have things changed for the better since then.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I have never been to a post season game in any professional sports game. :(

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've been to a couple.

Game 1 vs the Braves in 2001 - Sat in the Crawford boxes while Chipper ripped our hearts out.

and I went this past Saturday, had a blast!

8. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Never made it to a playoff game, but I was at the Mike Scott no-no that won the division in 86. Favorite part was Kerfeld and Andersen coming out in their Conehead masks about 30 minutes after the game ended!

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have been to one post season astros game. My great Grandfather took me to the 1 game playoff with LA in '80. We had SRO tickets and he stood and held me for most of the game, until some man gave him his seat. I was 5 at the time. I don't really remember anything about itother than that my mother has told me we went.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Can't remember exactly but the last year we played the Braves i wen tot that game where we were leading and then gave it up and ended up loosing.

2004 - Scored 2 tickets to Mondays Game in the Astros Suite. (it's good to be a sponser) woohoooooo

11. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I was at Game 2 in Atlanta when we lost.....it was still an awesome night.

They brought Smoltz in to Darth Vader's Theme to start the 8th, and I got goosebumps, and was scared ****less.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

awesome

13. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

The only Astros playoff game I ever went to was game 3 of the 1999 series against the Braves, in the Astrodome.

It featured stomach punching moments such as these:

Brian Jordan's homer off Mike Hampton (who had previously been cruising) to give the Braves a 3-2 lead.

The Astros escaping the top of the 10th despite the fact that the Braves had a man on third with 1 out, and had the bases loaded with 2 outs...

... only to load the bases in the bottom of the 10th with no outs and not score. (The Walt Weiss effect).

In the 12th inning, with Jay Freaking Powell pitching, the Braves managed to get men on 2nd and 3rd, with one out. Who's coming up? I'ts Brian Jordan. The guy who hit the homer that drove in Atlanta's only runs of the game to that point. He's hitting like .500 for the series (seriously - I'm not making this up). The Braves previously got out of a bases loaded, no outs jam in the 10th thanks to 2 straight forceouts at home. First base is open, remember. Next up after Jordan would be Andruw Jones (hitting .231 for the series), followed by John Rocker (batting .000). So what does Larry Dierker do? Pitches to him, of course. With Jay Powell. Jordan doubles in 2 runs, 5-3 Braves. Ballgame.

I should say it was a really exciting game, and if the Astros had won, it would have been one of the highlights of my sports fandom. Instead, my friend and I (after sitting, shell-shocked, in our seats for 5-10 minutes after the game and watching Brian Jordan get interviewed on the field) wandered around the Astrodome parking lot in a daze for like 30 minutes.

So let's just say I'm really glad the Astros won this time.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

1997-Game 3-Chipper hits HR before I can even get in the building
    2001-Game 1-Mike Freaking Jackson???
    2004-Game 3-Despite the Astros' ineptitude (and apparent lack of caring since I still haven't heard from them) causing us not to get in the door until the 4th inning, the atmosphere was amazing
    2004-Game 4-Crowd seemed nervous the entire time more than anything. Couldn't watch the top of the 9th in my seat. Didn't hear the Texans' score until right when they lost. :mad:

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Games 1,2 in the "strike" playoff series against LA.
    Games 1,2, 6 in 1986

After game 1 in 1986, we went out to our car in the Dome parking lot. It wasn't where we left it. (1986 Firebird with Smoked T-tops). We looked around a bit to make sure we were where we thought we parked. Eventually we walked back to the dome to find the police. We asked one of the dome security guys where we should go to report a stolen car. He then asked "Is that it" and pointed towards the grassy area. It was.

Apparently the security guards were patrolling the parking lot and noticed two people in our car during the middle of the game. They thought that was odd. They slowed down and the guys took off running. They chased but were unable to catch them. The thieves had already busted the steering column, so the security guys thought they should tow the car where no one else could get to it.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1980 was the Phillies. 1981 was the playoff series with L.A. to determine the division winner due to the strike that year. Game 1 in 1980 was in Philly, so it must have been the 1981 series. I was there, I don't remember seeing you :).

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I went to game 3 or 4 of the 2004 World Series in Houston, can't remember exactly which one it was.

18. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I only went to Game 1 in 2001. A beautiful day, roof open, crowd pumped, beer flowing. Then Mike Jackson came in and.....I can't continue.

*cries:(

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

My only sports playoff moment was at game 5 of the NLCS against the Phillies in 1980. I was nine years old. Maybe this is why I am a sporting goth. Anyway, I remember the crowd being incredible (chanting Art Howe's name, for example..maybe for the last time in recorded history), but I don't remember much of the game, only that the Phillies roared back in the eigth inning and I was a sad kid on the way home that night.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I was at this game as well. Only Astros playoff game I've been to.

The view from the suite that day was pretty neat though. :)