1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Your Opinion Please

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Aug 8, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Some of you guys have seen me post here. Mostly I lurk. Recently, I've been posting more and more. However, I have a question for you guys. What do you guys think of the Nuggets? I'm curious to see what you guys think because most Nugs fans are predicting doom and gloom for the team (sometimes my message board is so bad that I need prozac just to read it). Personally, I think the team is on the right track.

Anyway, I'm just curious to see what a division rival thinks.

------------------
    Nuggets4
    The Pinnacle - Rising to the Top With the Denver Nuggets
    http://www.NugsPinnacle.com

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

With a real pg the Nuggets would be an up & comer.

Question to you: Has Nick behaved himself since going to Denver?

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

3. Nuggets4

Yeah. I'm a HUGE Van Exel fan personally. I was nervous about the acquisiton at first, but he's been a Godsend to this franchise. he single handedly brought McDyess back to Denver. And, most people don't know this, but he was working on bringing Eddie Jones to Denver. Unfortunately, Eddie had no other reason than Nick to go here, so he didn't consider it long.

As for his playing (and it's ironic you asked this considering I just answered the same question on my board [​IMG] ), at times, it's great. I wish his shooting percentage would go up some more (39% is too low). However, some of hte shooting percentage problem is due to Issel not implimenting an offense. Everyone stands around until there's 3 seconds left, and Nick has to heave.

Issel gave NVE a vote of confidence, and has always said "This is Nick's team", and NVE has responded well.

Besides, those 16 points and 9 assists a game really look nice. [​IMG]

------------------
    Nuggets4

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I wouldnt predict doom and gloom, but playoffs are out of the picture this year. Van Exel and McDyess are obviously great players, but to succeed they are going to have to have LaFrentz step it up. Playing in the Midwest is no ride at Disneyland though. Spurs, Jazz, Wolve, Grizz, Mavs, Rockets are all going to be better next year. Well not the Jazz (thank GOD). I dont know if Denver is going to be able to keep up.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I wouldnt predict doom and gloom, but playoffs are out of the picture this year. Van Exel and McDyess are obviously great players, but to succeed they are going to have to have LaFrentz step it up. Playing in the Midwest is no ride at Disneyland though. Spurs, Jazz, Wolve, Grizz, Mavs, Rockets are all going to be better next year. Well not the Jazz (thank GOD). I dont know if Denver is going to be able to keep up.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You think 39% is bad for your PG? Try having a 39%er of a PF. (Sorry, I had to take a quick shot Kenny Thomas.)

As for the Nuggets, I like their talent a lot. I'd love to have McDyess, Lafrentz, Clark, (BTW, do you think any of them will be traded? They are somewhat of a glut from my perspective.) Abdul-Wahad, or Posey on this team. I'm assuming the problem is chemistry, coaching, and/or not having a real center up front. Doom and gloom? I doubt it. But it's hard to see Denver make the playoffs this year. McDyess didn't have quite the season everyone was expecting, did he?

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Denver has some very good players. I think they won less than they should have considering the talent on the roster. I always thought of the Nuggets as a milder form of the Grizzlies: a bad front office keeping the team down. I would predict gloom and doom for the team. They'll get better than they are now, but I don't see them being legitimate contenders with the leadership they've got.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Denver has some very nice pieces to the puzzle. I wouldn't say that they will definitely make the playoffs, but they have a chance I believe. You have a point guard in Van Exel who averages 16/9 and from what I saw last year is not the headcase he once was. He was a great floor general, lightning quick, and did many of the things I like in a PG. You have two excellent defensive minded swingmen in Abdul-Wahad and Posey who should offensively become better and have long careers. McDyess is a superstar who can do it all. Your problem area seems to be center, where you are playing Lafrentz out of position. It would be good I think if you could trade Lafrentz and/or Clark for a legitimate center, as Lafrentz, Dice, and Clark are all really natural PFs. But they do have a lot of talent, and so do the Nuggets as a whole. Right now I see 3 things wrong with the Nuggets:

1.Lack of Depth
    2.Chemistry
    3.Leadership

If they can get those 3 questions resolved, the Nuggets may indeed have a bright future.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Third Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000971.html

9. Nuggets4

McDyess? Definately not.
    LaFrentz? Possibly. If he proves he can play the center position this year, the Nuggets will keep him. If not, they'll trade him for a real center.
    Clark? Probably. Unless he can prove he can play SF at a legitimate level, he's a goner next off-season.

------------------
    Nuggets4

10. MManal

MManal Member

Nuggets4, speaking of trading LaFrentz for a real center, have you heard anything on Cato-LaFrentz talks?

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

11. Nuggets4

Not a word. Honestly, if the Nuggets did that deal, we'd have some serious problems. CAto doesn't really fill the physical center need we have. We're looking for a big goon.

------------------
    Nuggets4

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think the nuggets are a good team.

McDyess just needs more help, but I do not think the playoffs are that far around the corner for them.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.