1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Greatest Memory of Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

On Tuesday September 5th the front page headline is a small clutchcity.net dedication, of what I'm sure will be many over the next year, to Hakeem heading in to his final season.

What I did want to ask is what is your greatest memory of Hakeem Olajuwon?

The reason I thought it fitting is I think Hakeem has given me so many memories I find it incredibly difficult to point out just one that sticks out the most.

In fact I can't do it. For me two things run a tight race.

Hakeem's coming of age was so apparent in the Lakers-Rockets series of '86. If I remember right in Game 1 Abdul-Jabbar had like 41 points or something ridiculous, but from there on Dream burst on to the scene. From blocking the "unblockable" skyhook to dominating the paint on the offensive end, Hakeem truly became the league's "New Force" as SI printed on the cover.

His utter domination of David Robinson in the 1995 West Finals has to be the other, though the class and respect he showed when he accepted the regular season MVP trophy in '94, giving the credit to his teammates and having them come out to help him lift the trophy (seriously, how often do you see that?), then going out and popping Karl Malone and co. for 40+ was truly an awesome day in my life's book.

Cap room and all that is nice -- believe me, I want it badly -- but reflecting on what Hakeem has meant to the city really makes me realize how much he's going to be missed and that this is the last time to watch a legend play the game.

<font face="arial" size="1">(I would appreciate this thread not turning in to a debate of any kind, just posting whatever you like about what you remember most. Thanks....)</font>

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Game 5 vs. Phoenix 1995

Clyde is sick, Rox are down 3-1, Barkley proclaims that things are good in the butt-kicking business. Dream makes a turnaround 15 footer to send the game to overtime. Every other Rocket is jumping for joy in disbelief. Dream calmly looks up at the time and score and walks back to the bench.

------------------

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

Sitting down and soaking it all in following championship #1.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited September 04, 2000).]

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

All of those memories were excellent, but my greatest memory of Hakeem was undoubtedly the 1995 Western Finals vs. the Spurs. After coming back from down 3-1 against the Suns, hardly anyone gave us a chance against the "dominant" Spurs. David Robinson was awarded MVP, and the series was supposed to be his coronation as the league's top player. Instead, it further proved that Hakeem was the true Most Valuable Player in the league. The way he thoroughly dominated Robinson in the series, including lighting him up for 40+ several times, was unbelievable. He showed that no one in the league was close to his level, and he carried the Rockets on his back to the Finals. Hakeem has had countless great memories, but IMO the '95 Western Finals will always stand out.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

My favorite memory of Dream everytime he ever put the spin on someone. That move alone should be in the hall of fame.

------------------
    The KT police:

Rule 1:dont diss on KT'
    Rule 2:Dont talk of Trading KT.
    Rule 3: Do not compare KT with owls!!!!!

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Probably against Robinson in the series against the Spurs, 95 playoffs, on our way to the second championship:
    Dream's under the basket, left side. Spins, jukes, fakes; he even holds out the ball out in his left hand, as if to say, "You want this, b****?" Robinson, faked out of his jock, goes flying out of the picture---and Hakeem scores two.

------------------

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Just remembered...there was also the spin dunk against Ewing in game 3, 1994. Ewing was left lost in the paint like a gorilla who couldn't find his banana tree.

------------------

8. Say_Jack

Say_Jack Member

There are so many great memories, but one play that stands out to me occurred during a playoff series against Phoenix.

Kevin Johnson had a sure layup, and a clear path to the basket. As KJ glided in for his uncontested basket, Dream galloped from 30 feet away and swatted away the layup. Nobody could believe that Olajuwon could cover so much ground so quickly.

I know my description sounds boring, but anyone who witnessed that block must understand the uniqueness of Hakeem's defensive skills. This play displayed everything that made Dream so special. Hakeem's desire, grace, quickness, and timing were all on display.

From 1993 to 1995, Hakeem was the best basketball player in the world. In my opinion, Michael Jordan's retirement robbed Olajuwon of the chance to be compared with the best. The Rockets had the Bulls number during Michael's last year, and it can be argued that Michael and the Bulls could NOT have won the NBA title against the '94 and '95 Rockets. We will never know.

------------------

9. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

easy for me-

the 3-pointer at the end of game 4 against orlando in '95. the joy on his face- the relaxation and contentment as he went up for a shot he knew would be nothing but net.

i must add i knew hakeem well when he was at uh, and i have several very funny memories of him when he was young and naive. i especially recall rob williams and benny anders takng the time to "school" hakeem on what it took to be a brother in a big city in the united states. it was really funny- hakeem wanted badly to fit in, and, for those of you who knew those two characters, it made for a lot of racy banter and wild times, none moreso than the '82 final four (the greatest collection of college talent ever to play two).

i recall a game at rice hakeem's freshman season. uh missed a shot and hakeem skied for the rebound and missed a putback off the glass. coach schverak got coach lewis to call a timeout, where hakeem was chewed out, profanely, for at least a minute or two for not dunking the ball. phi slamma jamma, brought out the man in hakeem's game- a great athlete became the modern era's bill russell- the complete player. many people forget the fact that in almost every nba game hakeem has played in, and many of those in college, he has been at least one inch shorter than his adversary.

------------------

10. jamma34

jamma34 Member

theres too many, but the playoff series with san antonio, when dream took "mvp" robinson to school, that was simply classic.
    the tip in at the end of game 1 against orlando.
    the 3 pointer to cap the championship.
    the block on the john starks 3 pointer.

------------------
    you are to be praised by gods and revered as women.

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Man, name one memory? No way.

The '86 Dream was amazing to watch. He just seemed three times as quick as everyone else on the floor. He'd block a shot on one end and slam it home on the ensuing fast break. Just his spaztic-style of defense, blocking everything, getting steals, knocking balls loose from guards, it was all amazing.

I also used to like the fights. I liked it when Akeem was the "enforcer" on our team. Leading scorer, leading defender, and enforcer, what a combination.

Man.... I just can't imagine what it will be like to watch his final regular season NBA game (especially if we don't make the playoffs). I think I'm gonna sit at home and watch that one all by myself so I can cry like a big baby.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

12. JR

JR Contributing Member

how about the 86 finals when he stole the ball from Walton and "dribbled" the ball down court for a dunk 3 times in a row?

------------------

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think my greatest memory of Hakeem was his evolution as a player and person. I started following the Rockets as a kid back in the latter 70's. I fell in love with the college game when I first heard about a guy named Akeem and quickly began following the Cougars. I was about 12-14 years old when I watched the Final Four that the Cougars lost against NC State. It was only one of 2 times I ever cried because of a sporting event (the other being during the Oilers' reception back in the Dome after the failed Super Bowl run).

Hakeem was wild back then. He was a dunking machine, had flying elbows a la Karl Malone, and had a mean streak in him (just ask the Celtics and Jerry Sichting). He was quick to explode at referees and get technicals, he was quick to argue with others, and I still remember the time he gave Barkley the finger on tv. Sixteen years later, the immature kid has become not only a man, but a legend in the game.

He was a specimen who combined quickness, speed, explosiveness, finesse, power, and skill like no big man before him had done. He abused the Admiral, he humbled the Big Aristotle, he outplayed Patrick, Zo is a poor wannabe in comparison, and Jordan was greater only because the media and the NBA wanted it that way.

Hakeem never got his due because his English was so broken. His greatest commercial had one word in it... "Unbeatable" and even that was jokingly ridiculed because of his thick accent. He was criticized for always wanting to renegotiate his contract, for always wanting the ball, and for holding the Rockets back from having a wide open game instead of the "Dump-It-Into-Hakeem" offense.

So what can I remember Hakeem by? I remember the time when I saw Hakeem perform the most devastating blocked shot I have ever seen. If there was a home run in basketball, that block would have been it. Here comes Xavier McDaniel driving into the lane to hammer home a dunk on Hakeem. Hakeem exploded upwards, almost as if to say, "this is proof I'm a Rocket". He met Xavier at the apex of his dunk attempt, grabbed the ball with Xavier still holding it and drove both him and the ball down. I've never seen a single play in basketball that made me just say "damn", quite like that.
    The time he ran Kevin Johnson down from behind from one end of the court to the other to block his shot would have to be another highlight. And of course, as someone's already mentioned, his complete dismembering of the Admiral in the playoffs I'll never forget.

Despite all these singular plays, nothing really stands out in my mind as a memory of Hakeem quite as much as how he's changed so much from when he first started playing college ball. The city of Houston watched a young brash boy become a humble, honorable man. I hope all of you that are old enough got a chance to watch it... it was a pleasure to see.

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited September 04, 2000).]

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Say_Jack...

Dream did the same thing to Rod Strickland in Game 2 against the Blazers '94....I still remember Dick Versace going crazy on TNT "You want points? I'll give you points! You want rebounds? I'll give you rebounds! You want blocks? I'll give you blocks! I'll give you everything!! Hakeem Olajuwon!! This guys just amazing!!"

He went on to torch Portland for 46 in that game...

------------------

15. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Hetero doxy-

Gotta agree. That three-pointer was unbelievable. Some people say that I started tearing up. I don't know what they're talking about. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

God, I was waiting for this topic to come around this summer. Man I can't believe this is it. Hakeem was like a childhood hero to me. You, know how the Rox were always the underdogs and always came on top and Hakeem was always there to lead the way. Also, I can't think of any team that had only ONE superstar to lead his team to a championship. The '94 Rockets and Dream did it. But one of the favorites on this boars will always be mine, and that's when Dream took Mr. Robinson back to his neighborhood.

------------------
    www.rocketzone.web.com

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Finally a thread that pays tribute to the greatest hero in the history of Houston. One memory? yeah rite! There are countless, but these three stand out for me.

3 Hakeem grabs an off balance off reb with one hand. And in one freakin motion dunks it rite on Ewings nasty ass.
    2 The greatest play of all time - Hakeem making David look like he is on a ride in Astroworld.
    1 My personnal favorite-Game 1 against Orlando, no time left on the clock as Hakeem tips it in. He runs trying to figure out if it counted. YES IT DID! YES IT DID!!!!
    Oh **** just thinking about that play gives me goose bumps like u wouldnt believe.

If Hakeem ever reads this site, I just want him to know one thing. That I never believed in trading him. I wouldnt have cared less if we got Duncan and Garnett. Hakeem is the greatest hero to me and to a million other Houstonians. I hope he has a pretty good year, but even if he doesnt I would still love him as much. I am going to miss Hakeem like crazy. I LOVE U HAKEEM!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry for the corniness, but thats how I feel damnit)

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Great thread-

So so so many

My Top 5:
    #5: David Robinson Massacre, 1995
    #4: Sharing the MVP award with teammates, 1994
    #3: The Game 4 three pointer, 1995
    #2: The time some idiot media guy at media day asked him how he would change his game before the 1998 season, and he said "this year, I am jump shooter, just a jump shooter" and Clyde came up behind him and said "okay, Ralph" and Dream doubled over laughing.
    #1: Punching Billy Paultz and not getting caught by the refs, 1985

Honorable Mention: Trying to teach my middle brother to do pushups at a health club, 1987

CBFC

------------------

19. sazhar

sazhar New Member

We can't overlook Hakeem's contributions even with the new showtime rockets. The way dream "enjoyed peace with himself and God" after the championship with all the fanfare around him, summarizes what he was all about... Stay humble, Stay hungry!

------------------
    --
    SoftWeb Consulting - IT Division
    www.softwebnet.com
    6501 Crown Blvd.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

My happiest moment as a fan was when Maxwell hit THE THREE in Game 7 (the ring was offically ours with that shot)....but it was Dream who drew the double and made the pass out to Max...that was the difference in Dream's game that made him into such a great player...even 2 years b4 that he probably wouldn't have made that pass...

------------------