1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You want to fix this country?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 4, 2016.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is because this is just at the starting point for these kinds of AI, in case you did not realize, computers can now beat the strongest human in both chess and go, which was totally unimaginable in the 80s, computers can now self study and self improve, who knows where the boundary is for AI. Terminator is not out of the question in the near future.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The purpose for the cartoon was to illustrate that when a business struggles, it makes tough decisions...When a government struggles, they would rather borrow and spend more. Akin to doubling down in blackjack after a big loss...Think you missed the general point, by overthinking the cartoon.

The Pie chart is interesting...It shows how much needs the government really has to allocate for and take care off. Sure it shows how much our current govt programs need to function, but very few people look at the NET total...4.1 TRILLION dollars... $4,100,000,000,000.00 All you have suggested is replacing ONE giant program with another...but nothing addresses the cost it would take to maintain such a program. This is why I believe that the government should downsize, and relegate power to state and local governments to fix healthcare, education, energy..etc..

3. pirc1

Almost everyone want to cut the government spending, the problem is everyone want to cut programs they don't like, not the programs they like.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Interstate roads, airports, look like isht...Some government hospitals...looks like their stuck in the 70's(I was born in the 80s lol)...The government isnt doing their jobs...AND they feel like they should take on more responsibilities. Perhaps having more business men and less politicians would actually help (And no this isnt an endorsement for Trump...enh).

5. dmoneybangbang

So throw the baby out with the bath water? I get what you are saying as we just need the government to do what they are doing better.

Baby boomers is a whole other issue as we simply can't afford to be as generous from SSN to medicare to public pensions.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's a big problem only the most fiscally conservative members of congress would support across the boards spending cuts......and you didn't even hear them until Ron Paul ran for president the first time. Now there's a little bit more support for the spending reform that needs to happen but you'd never get broad support for that from either major party.

Again, the problem is that we have one fiscally irresponsible party (Republicans) and one REALLY REALLY REALLY ridiculously fiscally irresponsible party (Democrats) and people always keep them in power and don't demand better.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

stuff other people get.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I shouldn't say "the first time" when talking about Ron Paul running for president, he ran as a Libertarian in 1988, I mean "the first time" being in 2008.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Let's not assume. Why should I assume that the Bernie Bros who whine about jobs while 10 million illegal immigrant and 30 million legal immigrant (600k+ visa workers) make it without a complaint, are actually helping themselves out?

College degree? So what, go home and play with your degree.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What is wrong with this Country:

Threads purporting to discuss what is wrong with this country begin and end the erroneous assumption that it's synonymous with a lot of bad discussion about the national debt/deficit.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Federal gov't needs to have a deficit - without it there would be no U.S. treasury market which is a key part of our financial system.

Humans were not designed to live in cramped quarters - at some point we need to figure out how to make capitalism work without a growing population.

Jobs are pretty thin where density is low.

Illegals take about as much money from the gov as they put in according to most studies. It's a wash.

And immigrants live in essentially squalor - sometimes 10 people in an apartment meant for 2 or 3 in NYC. You want Americans to live like that without health care? And a dollar saved for them is worth more back home. You can't even compare.

Plus the country doesn't have a shortage of nannies and orange pickers, it has a shortage of educated workers.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Is this one of those logical statements that state poor people need to spend more on luxuries and go into debt to stimulate the economy?

If you said Americans are not used to living in cramped quarters, I would agree with you. Its very common throughout the rest of the world to have several people living in a smaller sized home. Feel free to visit the UK in case you think this is a 'non-white' thing. The whole 3000sqft home on a 5 acre lot for a family of 4 is an American thing.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I decided to temporarily lift the ignore feature to play devil's advocate.

The Bernie Bros are college educated. They whine about being either under-employed and unemployed. For instance, here in Texas I can imagine that there are more than a few engineers who have been laid-off or let out of their contracts, and many younger ones who are like the Bernie Bros - either under-employed or unemployed.

Besides, how would shortcomings in the US education system be addressed by allowing higher numbers of all immigrants into the US?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe one of them would steal your computer and we wouldn't have to read your crackpot garbage, despite your bearing of SECRET KNOWLEDGE on so many subjects despite the absence of formal training or recognizable logic.

A man can dream.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Great thread. Also to add, maybe mix it up a little with how you allocate the resources:

[​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why focus on discretionary spending, it's only a little more than a quarter of the total federal spending, it gives you a false impression of where the money is really going.

[​IMG]

Medicare and other government health programs, social security, and interest makes up 2/3 of the entire federal spending per year.....that needs to change.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure where you are going. I don't think this thread is about discussing a higher amount of immigration. Right now we let in people who are educated to fills jobs that are not getting filled because we aren't producing enough home grown talent. I can only speak to the facts. We need to improve education so we are less dependent on immigration for filling jobs.

No. It's not. We need Treasury Bills. Their existence is far more than just for the gov't to borrow money.

I live in NYC so I know all about living in cramped spaces. I am saying humans were not designed for it - that's all.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You know exactly why he's using discretionary spending.

19. pirc1

SSN and medicare are still self sufficient, they still pay the government more than they pay out I believe. To fix the issues you just need to increase the income stream by update the cap and maybe retirement age.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, and it's more than a little disingenuous. For all the talk of the massive military spending, we spend almost half of that just on interest payments alone as of 2016 and it's only going up from here.