1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You Know What Strikes Me As Odd, But Typical Rudy .... ????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan34, Dec 10, 1999.

1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The Rockets are obviously building a team around Francis and lacking a SF and a PF. Notice Kenyon Martin is coming out. Perhaps they are targeting him.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I agree that keeping a positive and progressive attitude about this season is important. Trying to goof around and hang out with the dregs of the league would be the wrong thing to do with a very young and impressionable team.

Once someone loses forward momentum in life, it is more difficult to regain the initiative.
    Ask the Clippers orgainzation about that.

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 10, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 10, 1999).]

3. Primetime

Primetime Member

I think we are a class organization and will continue to play the game with the intention of winning each and every game. We're not like the freakin Spurs who benched all their starters and tanked the last few months of the season so that they could get Duncan. Houston pride will prevail and clutchcity will rise again.

------------------
    I'll miss you Charles.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cat's game is progressing at a fast rate.His improvement over the summer showed incredible work ethic and when you have that combined with bigtime athleticism and talent,you have the potential for one helluva player.Would you all pay him 4yrs. 20 mil.?I would...........

5. playahata

playahata Member

Great post Popeye...I still like the pieces of this team, despite the devastating reality Charles' injury has me facing. Cato...if he ever learns to catch the ball could score 20 a night off dunks alone. I love this team, but we are kinda stuck in a really bad place. I think that there's no one of established worth that we could get that I'd be willing to get rid of. I am just crushed because in all likelyhood this season is over. What the hell can the damn team do, there's no moves to be made and Hakeem is out for too long and I'm not sure that he can be the leader Barkley is. Hakeem always led in my mind by example. His trademark was quiet dominance. He can't do that anymore. We are screwed, but I guess I'm going down with the ship. I just wanna see some Rudyball. This guy is an Olympic coach (remember??) and very well regarded. I just want to see him get the most out of these guys. I thought he supposedly did wonders with the CBA team at the World Championships> You tell me because my mind is shot.

6. popeye

popeye Member

Some Odd Thoughts

1. In almost every interview I have viewed or heard with RT since this injury to CB, he has mentioned Mobley in very long term positive things. This is a vast departure from previous. He used to get general and sometimes he may say something positive about him, but now he's talking about building a team around Francis, Mobley and Anderson. Very interesting.It sounds to be like he has no intention of trading the Cat, despite what I keep hearing from others in the NBA trade corners.Does this mean they make him an offer and an extension during this season? Would be a great move.

2. He has nipped in the bud, the very intention of considering this season as a wash and an afterthought. He is quoted in the Boston Globe and again today in the Chronicle as saying he will not allow this team to flounder this year. I like his win-win approach. Whether it is practical remains to be seen. If they stay competitive they win experience, skill, familiarity with each other and continuity of purpose, as well as success and respect. If they mount loss after loss, he will keep them focused to the future and he will not let up on them one bit. Admirable, but I still think this young team NEEDS to win. Regardless of the situation. They are all prideful and all have won before. Successive losses will be demoralizing to say the least. This grand experiment could be a diseaster if they fall on their proverbial butts.

3. There is a lot of questions of whether they are retooling (adding some players, possibly one key player) or rebuilding (adding several new elements and key players)this season. From his statements it appears he wants them to remain competitive but he will not make any major moves. He has refused to use the "rebuilding" term. But if he does not add anyone of merit, then that is what Thr rockets are doing. rebuilding. Does that mean we can expect to go with what we have? I mean D. Gray (who both CD and RT really liked) is apparently coming on board, but is that it? Or, is he open to one other key move? I sure hope so. This team is still one player away. Just like earlier, only we now know we will not include Charles in the mix.

4. It sure makes it easier to make personnel decisions when guys like K. Thomas is showing so much promise. T.Hamilton has a limited but effective role when used properly. Walt appears to be getting a hold of his game.

5. I still think,however, that the key is three things:

(a) Francis staying healthy, trying not to overextend his game, play within his own progressive level and staying healthy.This is his team, and actually I feel comfortable with his progress. Charles' role in helping him mature and develop his game under key game situations will be missed.

(b) Cato coming to grips with the heart of a team leadership role. That is think before you react, and react with team concept in mind. At both the skill level and the emotional level. Cato could take this team over,if he wanted to.

(c) Hakeem accepting his role as the father who is willing to participate wholeheartedly in helping and guiding, but not leading this young team to the next level.

7. SaluteCharles

SaluteCharles Member

Thanks, Popeye. I always like to read your posts. I agree with everything you say and find it very informative and concise. (Wish I could do that!) By the way, if Barkley hadn't gone down, I would be 5-0 in the December predictions.

The only thing I want to mention is I think we are more than one player away now.

I wonder if everyone realizes how much we have lost in losing Chuck. 80% of the old Chuck is still one hell of a player. One more player with him still in there playing like his life depended on it, and we could have gone far, actually, we might could have gone far without even adding another while we had Chuck, Dream and these talented young guys.

Without him, I expect these guys to play hard and win more than they lose for themselves and for Chuck and for us but I don't think we have much chance of doing anything big this year. I hope they prove me wrong.

I think if Stevie can be the man without trying to do too much by himself we can still have an encouraging season.

Right now, I still hurt for Chuck (in fact, it is even worse today after reading Chronicle articles) so I know the players and coaches are hurting too. I expect the guys to play like Chuck always did, like their life depends on it. Fight for everything! Don't be denied.

We love you, Chuck!

8. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I agree that the Cat has played his way into a nice contract for the Rockets. He has grown his game from the start, and we are in good shape up top for several years.

Definitely agree about Fracis holding back on some of his driving moves into other players. It is so easy to come down on someone else's ankles/shoes when your offbalance/up in the air. He has this one move where he drives into the post man, trying to draw contact by hanging in the air long enough to draw it. BUt sometimes it doesn't come and he is left trying to create a shot on his way down to the ground. It seems this is how he has been hurt a couple of times.

I am not looking for Cato to take over any leadership role this year. I am looking for him to develop his offensive game some more. He is in need of some established moves in the "low post".

No comment on Hak, except that I don't expect any changes in his game until he retires.

BUT, Can anybody get T Ham to dunk a ball for us. If the guy would just take an aggressive move to the hole w/ the ball in his hand he would double his off output. I am already frustrated w/ his soft touches around the basket that don't go in.

9. RocketHead2

RocketHead2 Member

The Big Three-

Then--->Dream,Drexler,Barkley
    Then again--->Dream,Barkley,Quitten
    Now--->Francis,Mobley,Anderson

Sad as it seems, we can't make any moves with these three guys. Im pleased to see RT thinking about sticking with this mix. I love CB but to this day believe we panicked when we traded Horry and Cassell for him. One thing about the Rox, they're not afraid to make a move. Hopefully they now understand that sometimes it's better to stick with it then to jump ship and hopefully they dont panic when the losses start to pile up. We need these three guys along with Cato. Now lets get a legit PF and we are in business next year.

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I agree. A PF is what we need. Isn't Duncan going to be available?

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

11. popeye

popeye Member

Dennis the Menace:

Yep. But that is like booking the local VFW hall for a wedding and reminding everyone that Ceaser's Palace in Las Vegas is also available.

We will not even be in the same timezone when it comes to bartering for Mr.Tim Duncan's services.

Look for him and his buddy Hill playing the rest of their respective careers for Doc Rivers in Orlando.

[​IMG]

12. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Rudyball: Two Sandwiches must have been listening. He is getting a few slam dunks the last game or two!

I think Rudy and friends have found another good one. I really like Thomas Hamilton. AND HE IS SOOOO BIG!