1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You Knew It Was Coming

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Almu, Aug 27, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Success = Lawsuits

One 'Survivor' Sues Another in Chicago Court

Updated 6:05 PM ET August 26, 2000
    CHICAGO (Reuters) - A founder of the Grammy-winning rock band Survivor will take legal action to prevent the name from being used on a soon-to-be-released soundtrack from the hit TV series of the same name, his lawyer said Friday. Lead guitarist Franklin Sullivan III, who trademarked the name Survivor in 1977 for the band, will ask a federal court in Chicago next month for a preliminary injunction against CBS and TVT Records LLC, lawyer Annette McGarry said.

Here are the a couple or so suits I think will be next:

1) The Bahamas sues CBS and the US because the Survivor island looks a little bit too much like the Bahamas.

2) McDonalds sues the Gervase because Gervase claims the Bacon Double Cheese Burger taste just like the rat meat he ate. This causes a 35 percent drop in business. Has the same effect as the Oprah/cow farmer issue.

Count on more suits coming.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

2. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

You just had to post something about Chicago.

------------------

3. TossedSalad

TossedSalad New Member

You just had to post something COACH SAMPSON.

------------------

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Nice handle TossedSalad. I was thinking of getting an extra handle like 'Cleveland Steamer'.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

1. I like the single old lady who sued her neighbors because they would make so much noise when having sex that they not only woke her up, but because they did it so fast, she was always left "un-fullfilled" after being awoken and "taking things into her own hands".

2. Or, the three time felony loser who was caught burglarizing a home by police when he fell from the upstairs window. He sued the homeowner because the homeowner's ladder which was left beside the house and used by the burglar-bungler, was "unsafe" and "presented a danger to would-be users". Welcome to America! HE WON HIS CASE AND WAS AWARDED $1.2 MILLION DOLLARS.

3. I love this one ..... no I can't. It would be cruel to remind anyone else of just how stupid this legal profession makes us look.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Are you talking about the woman who spilled hot coffee on her lap and sued McDonalds? The cup says "WARNING: CONTENTS MIGHT BE HOT!"

------------------

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I've heard that McDonald's coffee story a million times. And, everyone always laughs and discounts it as a frivolus lawsuit. Well, I have a differing opinion.

You don't have to be in your car. Let's say you go to Shipley's to have a morning doughnut. You're a little tired from your pitcher and a half of margaritas the night before so you get the large coffee instead of the 2oz regular sized one. You go sit down, ready to enjoy a delicious bear claw, when some idiot bumps that wobbly-ass table that seems to be "special order" for Shipley's. And the coffee spills all over you. Now, you've had coffe spill on you before and you survived. In fact, if you're like most people you've done stupid things, like: bump into a BBQ pit and scald your arm, or put your hand on a stove top burner before it's cooled, or maybe had a black cat go off in your hand.... Well, this coffee is not like the coffee you usually are accustomed to. This coffee is used to smelt iron ore. This coffee is so hot, you get 3rd degree burns in your CROTCH. I said in your crotch... on your genitals...

You know coffee is hot. Any sane person knows coffee is hot. Any sane person also knows that you should be able to walk away from a "coffee spill", not be rushed to a hospital.

I mean what if the ice-cream man was coming down your street, and when he handed you the ice cream bar it was ZERO KELVIN. Well, your hand would freeze off. Would that be your fault? You should know that ice cream is cold. But, then why the hell did that dumb Good Humor Man have to give you something so cold that it would cause you to be admitted into a hospital if you touched it with any part of your body? Who knows? But, I do know if you buy something from a business and you are injured by using it as any normal person would use it, then that company is negligent.

My take.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The coffee did cause second degree burns. The lady required skin grafts and other medical attention (her clothes even melted to her skin). She originally asked McDonald's to only pay her medical bills but was rebuffed, so she sued. It came out that McDonald's superheated their coffee to a temperature far beyond what would be considered reasonably prudent (about 195 degrees, according to official company policy, compared to about 135 degrees for your home-brewed coffee), and McDonald's had been warned on previous occassions that they were serving their coffee way too hot. and served the coffee in a cup that was not the greatest example of stability. The lady was sitting in the passenger seat of a parked car. The jury awarded her $2.9 million, and that was reduced by the judge to $700,000 ($200,000 of which was compensatory, $500,000 of which was punative.)

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

Mr. Paige (or anyone else),

Do you remember what happened to the man that sued Burger King for the "faulty" toilett seat? It happened shortly after the McDonalds thing. Apparently the seat shifted while he was sitting on it, and somehow his genitals were smashed between the seat and the rim.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Oelipere are u serious about that burglar suing the homeowner? Because if you are, thats the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.

And about that McDonalds thing, mrpaige is right. They had been warned many times about their hot coffee, but never seemed to learn.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Ouch! That must have been pretty painful for the guy at Burger King. For his sake, I hope it still functions.

------------------