1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You Knew It Was Coming...Another What Is in the CD Player!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Excellent choice!

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree. I think I've been waiting longer for their next album than any other artist currently active (with Lauryn Hill being a close second)...unless of course Portishead has broken up and I just haven't heard about it. I mean, it's been six frickin' years!

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yeah. i got the cd when i was in college.

the only reason i got it then was because there was this show on mtv back then called "twelve angry viewers". basically they would look at some of the new videos and debate as to whether it was a good video or not.

the portishead video "only you" came on the show and it was pretty bad assprin. shot underwater and had this weird effect that had something to do with shoelaces i think (it's been a while). anyway, when out to buy the album and found out that pretty much every song on the cd jammed. has a weird spaced out hiphop jazzy rock feel to it. (sorry that's the best way to describe it.) i don't know much more about the band, but i hear that the dummy album is good. i dunno.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

One of the most all-time underrated / forgotten albums. Every song on that one is great. Too bad they kind of went downhill after that.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what?? i pre-ordered it and only got some crappy bumper sticker!! :(

yeah...the music is WAY too simplistic...i don't want to sound like a music snob, but those are some of the worst lyrics i've ever heard.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"Dummy" is one of the 3 trip-hop albums that make up "The Trinity of Trip-Hop" along with "Maxinquaye" by Tricky and "Blue Lines" by Massive Attack. All 3 albums are outstanding.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I had to pay a little extra for the shirt...like $10.

Yeah, I had read a review at www.nancies.org and they were talking about how bad the lyrics were, but I just chalked it up to music snobbery. Uh, no. They do suck. My 12 year-old neice could come up with better lyrics than that.

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

didn't know this type of music was called "trip hop". makes sense though.

the only album that i have by tricky is pre-millennium tension and bought it only because of "bad dream".

the only reason i've heard of massive attack is because they did this weird version of "rabbit in your headlights". haven't heard any of their other stuff.

guess i don't pass the "musical snob" test.

9. DCkid

I agree. Those are the 3 "ground-breaking" albums, although I actually prefer <i>Portishead</i> and <i>Mezzanine</i> to <i>Dummy</i> and <i>Blue Lines</i>.

Speaking of Tricky, what the hell happened to that guy? Apparently he just released another album that I knew nothing about. His first two albums were superb, and then he just lost it.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

In my case, I'm also producing, so it is even more acute for me. I've done many recordings and am somewhat of a studio rat. I've done a lot of studio work as a musician for other people and I can honestly say it always gets old to hear a song for the 50th time in the early stages.

But, as the song starts to come together (and the whole record for that matter) after the initial tracking is done and the overdubs and vocals start to go down, I actually start to enjoy listening to the songs.

Then, 9 times out of 10, once the mastering is done and it is all finished, I never listen to it again unless I'm playing it for someone else. :)

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, DC, I agree that "Mezzanine" is Massive's best album, but I have never been able to get into "Portishead" like I did with "Dummy".

Also, I have stayed away from Tricky's other albums (I really do need to get another one, though) after "Maxinquaye".

"Mezzanine" is so dark and brooding that it is nothing like "Blue Lines" and I think that is why "Blue Lines' is grouped with "Dummy" and "Maxinquaye" because they all have a similar style to them.

12. DCkid

The only other Tricky album I would recommend is <i>Pre-Millenium Tension</i>. I don't like it as much as Maxinquaye, but it's damn close!

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I always dread recording. I'm my own worst critic. I'm very hard on myself and I'm NEVER satisfied with my tracks. Because of this, I do too many takes and I get more frustrated with each one. Then someone will say "I kinda liked the first one". :mad:

I find it hard to play relaxed in the studio. I guess it's a complex I have or something. I hate listening to myself play. Way too hard on myself.

Sorry, off topic. :)

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Lots of people feel that way. I really had to learn to get comfortable in there. Having a studio of my own makes it a lot easier.

15. DCkid

I record a lot of songs on my computer using some recording software (Acid Music), and I can even get pretty frustrated doing that...but that could just be due to the fact that I'm not a musician. :)

I'm thinking about getting a more sophisticated digital recording setup pretty soon. The quality surprisingly isn't all that bad.

16. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I think that because you're a drummer! I'm halfway joking but from all my experience and every friend who's in a band, drummers have the hardest time in the studio.. Playing with a click track is unnatural and our drummer used to freak out because he had a difficult time keeping the time exactly at the same tempo and our engineer would make him redo it each time. At one point, he quit and left for half and hour and then realized that he was being a little unreasonable and came back and finished up..

17. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Nice:)

King's X- "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska"
    Beatles- "Rubber Soul"
    Jimi- "Live At Monterey"
    Bob Dylan- "Love And Theft"

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I found it on CD in the used section at Warehouse music. It never gets old, and damn does it bring back some memories. :)

19. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits
    NIN
    Santana Greatest Hits
    and of course..............Porcupine Tree

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Actually I like the click track. My band uses sequenced keyboards (because we can't find a good keyboard player) live so I'm used to the click track. I think it's just the pressure. Kind of like when you study for a test, you know all the info backwards and forwards but you freeze up when you actually take the test.

Sorry again, thread-starter. :D