1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You are seeing why we have to play iso

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 17, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

We do know, Dantoni was calling time outs throughout the series, that is what happend. We lost, it did not matter.

Yea and thats not caused we were gassed, its because we lacked the personnel, we needed to better on the boards and on defense.

Because it gives the other team a chance to stop the bleeding? Why, when you are coming back from a deficit would you want to stop the momentum for your team? I guess that would be the other side it I assume.

You are gonna have to point out these instances to be sometime bro, because Im failing to see where these timeouts would have sufficed.

Well yea there offense was better than ours. We could have been better, but we have different kinds of player than they do so we dont run the same system. We lost because we couldn't defend them. Our offense was good enough to get it done.

I disagree that it negates what harden did. Harden put up better stats then Curry and Klay for this series. Yes i agree our 4th quarter offense could be better but the points we put up were good enough to win. That is the whats there.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

For me watching what works starts at the point man. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Draymond, you cant let him to free will the offense. You must pressure him and force him to score. Also, you must contest all passes and passes. If you sag of Iggy or Green, they're too good of passers they will make the correct play. The Rockets in my opinion have some of the ingredients to beat the Warriors going forward, but they dont have that extra guy. They need a guy big enough and quick enough to combat Green or a guy skilled enough in the post to make their defense collapse like Cousins. Or they can get bigger on the perimeter. I thought all season Gordon should come off the bench, but he started. Capela is who he is, a rim runner, but very limited. McGee is better around the basket after a catch than Capela. If they just have to have that type of center, they can trade Capela and sign Javele.

3. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Absolutely. If KD is close to healthy, GS is clearly still the best team, but either of those East teams will give them a tough series. And with a couple of breaks, GS could fall.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

^ This is a really long way of saying "Bench Capela against small ball lineups".

That's the stupid thing about all of this. We HAD the personnel to beat them this year but D'Antoni just couldn't resist but give Clint his 30+ minutes. How does Rivers only play 16? How does House get zero opportunity as a young player to shine at home? Where's Clark? Those players could've made a difference in games decided by a couple of possessions. It's infuriating that we're stuck with MDA.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  5. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

"You have to attack Steph. And to a lesser degree KD."

Wait. Basketballholic, you want to attack KD?? Uh, no. There's a reason GS switched KD onto Harden in key moments.

6. SemisolidSnake

I stopped paying attention to the NBA playoffs with 1 minute left in the 4th quarter of Game 6, so, no, I haven't seen what happened to Portland.

I'm not smart enough to really dig into the pros and cons here. It's a well-written explanation. Makes me think.

Since I have nothing to contribute, I'll just ask rhetorically if its possible to ISO without running the shot clock down to nothing on every play?

7. HP3

HP3 Member

One was shook and was making bone headed plays. Clark should have been played more earlier in the season but it is what it is. Rivers played enough. Capela had to come on because every time we went small we would get dominated on the boards that happened almost everybody single time.

8. basketballholic

I don't feel like we had the personnel. Clark was good early. But he is a rookie. And his jumper finally betrayed him. So you can't really say he was a shooter.

Rivers was great and rotation worthy. But he's a guard. And we've got Paul and Ego and Harden there. We were squeezing EGo and Harden to make minutes for Rivers as it is.

We needed a healthy Luc and a 30 year old healthy Ariza.

Or we needed to plug in Hartenstein, commit to him, and let the chemistry develop between him and the starters.

You make an excellent point about playing Capela 30 though. That was going to happen regardless. And really for the regular season we got by with it more often than not.

But the problem is when you are not a cap space team, nor are you going to be a cap space team going forward for the next 4-5 seasons, and you've got an aging superstar that you've totally committed to and just re-signed to basically an untradeable deal that will only become more untradeable for the next 3 seasons until it is expiring, and then you re-up a guy for 5 seasons and make him your third highest paid player..... then you HAVE TO PLAY HIM!!!!

You can't bench a guy that's got 5 years on his deal and is making that much money without openly messaging the rest of the league that at best its just a neutral value contract. You have to play him and try to adjust the system to accommodate him and cover his deficiencies until you can move him out. We already had one bad contact that we were dealing with that was draining us of assets to manage. So there goes a lot of developmental minutes for Harty and Clark and Bruno or somebody else.

And that's exactly what happened to us. We had to fiddle with our system to try to make it work to accommodate being committed to playing Capela rotation minutes every night. And we had a tax problem because we CANNOT pay the repeater tax which I kept saying was an issue. And that caused us not to be able to pay Ariza or give some other player the full MLE. And the tax issue probably played a big role in not signing Bruno. And the tax issue made every problem that came along during the season very tedious to deal with.

For instance the Melo issue. We had no margin for error with stuff like that with two guys signed fresh to long term deals that pushed us way into the tax.

This is why I said we should trade Capela BEFORE his free agency came up!!!!

And why I was crossing my fingers we would trade Capela from the moment we traded for Paul!!

Because the moment we traded for Paul we were on the luxury tax clock and we were already having to manage one bad contract.

I literally got sick to my stomach when we re-signed Capela and didn't sign-a trade him. And I immediately told you guys we gotta get off his deal. We have to trade him. Because it's too risky. Capela blows out his Achilles.... and we are hit and sunk!!!! Not only this past season but going forward because we're managing against the tax all the time and have to find a point to get out of it. And getting off a long term deal on an injured player is virtually impossible. Which means we would be constantly nickel-and-diming the rest of the roster and hoping for a miracle second rounder.

Once Capela signed for 5 years we had NO CHOICE but to play him and adjust the system to make him look good and cross our fingers that he doesn't get hurt.

And we have to delay moving to 5-out play because we've got to play a non-shooting center starter minutes. The Capela signing is a cascade effect on so many things.

It takes a team to win a championship. A team that is built with the right skill sets to match the right system that is required to win it all. You cannot prioritize one player over the system and what it takes to win a championship.

I hope we can move Capela this summer as part of a package for a superstar. But I have my doubts. It is my firm opinion that if that deal does not materialize by the end of summer that we need to move out Capela regardless even if all we get back is expiring contracts.... or smaller contracts that have a couple years left. And we'd better hope he doesn't get injured this summer while working out somewhere before we can trade him. Because his contract is a landmine that could detonate on this roster at any time. And if it does we are up a creek without a paddle.

#148 basketballholic, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. caneks

caneks Rookie

This is all wrong.
    Team ball always beats iso ball, Passing doesn't necessarily increase TOs, it actually increase your opportunity to win. There is a reason why it is a team sport, not an individual sport.

10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Thanks for the post, hollic! It forms the base of my article that goes tomorrow live on our FB platform. I want to "educate" my fellow countrymen a bit and you helped me a great deal :)

basketballholic likes this.