1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You are seeing why it's the switching defensive scheme that matters, and the offense can change

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, May 21, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Somewhat tongue in cheek.... having great ISO players and game helps, though I think they need to change 30%ish of their half-court offense to include more action, plays, diverse offense, responsibility on the role players, etc. Blazers certainly weren't great offensively

But to me, it's the defense that is the difference that has kept the Rockets closer to GSW than anyone else.

Recall Stotts decided to go Game 1 with a drop the big strategy, lol. The Rockets switching/hybrid switching defense is what has kept it close, and but for the fact that even as decent as Clint is at that, he still is a worse, confused player when forced to do it a lot on the perimeter, and it impacts his whole game, the Rockets might be in the Finals right now.

Steph just scored the most points in a 4 game sweep in NBA history, and 3 more points overall against the Blazers than he did against the Rockets. With KD, without KD... if you can't contain Steph, you're f'd. Steph gets off, Draymond gets off, Klay gets off.

I also think offense ties into defense and defense ties into offense much more than is typically thought. Stop the Warriors more, its easier to score on them. Their half-court defense is so good. Of course, similarly, score on them, its easier to defend them.

I think the offense can change entirely. Or not. Or somewhat. I'm not sure it matters a ton. As I said, I think it needs to change 30% in halfcourt sets. It's the defense that is super important.

This doesn't change off-season needs much. You still have massive needs at forwards. Even when doing great at switching, even with Tucker being as valuable at it as he is, they're just too small.

But it does make me question things like:
    * Bzdelik let go
    * Rockets interested in Kevin Love

Kim, Highlyrated and saleem like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. The Rockets offense might be blunt force and it might be boring to some but it WORKS on GSW. But at the end of the day it is the switching defense that is the key. Look how HARD GSW had to work to get off great shots. The rest of the league is still playing catchup to try to defend the Warriors. Hell, the Cavs CHANGED their defense to switching in the finals to try to stope them. You can't change overnight and of course it did not work. But they understood why they had to try.

Remlap likes this.
  3. basketballholic

Rockets are interested in Love because he's a better player than Capela, fits our offense better, is a better rebounder than Capela, one of the best outlet passers (alongside Bird) of all time, and he switches just as well as Capela. So it may come down to trading Capela and Gordon or Shump for Love and JR if we cant get anything else done.

Highlyrated likes this.