1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jian Lian to enter NBA 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingkow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. banky

banky Member

Mac, no offense man but you're a worthless poster on these boards.

pryuen actually contributes to these forums and other board members like the info he gives us.

2. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Yi is making a fool out of himself.

I am just curious, doesn't this in any way hurt his image back in China? :confused:

3. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

actually from what i've heard, most chinese fans are sold on Yi's agent team's theory that bucks is not the best fit. and they don't care about the integrity of NBA draft. so no Yi's image isn't hurt by all this drama. but of course there're also many sensible fans that think Yi should just suck it up and play.

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I don't think what you said is true. Even on the forum of his team, where most of his ardent fans are, only about 7% votes either for against playing for the Bucks or for letting Fegan to decide. 56% chose to play for the Bucks. 10% for quick resolution, one way or another. 27% for whatever Yi wants.

True that Chinese fans don't think the Bucks is an ideal place for Yi, but majority agree a rule is a rule and Yi should just suck it up and play.

5. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

7. papsi2010

papsi2010 Member

i dont know what Yi is waiting for, bucks is not that bad. I don't think he has right to choose the team... it's NBA!

GET to Milwaukee NOW before the fans loss their patient. :mad:

8. richter911

richter911 Member

Yi had a press coference today in HK and signed the contract.Yi is officaly a Bucks right now.

9. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

source?

10. richter911

richter911 Member

Here is the link

Bucks Sign Yi Jianlian To Multi-Year Contract

August 29, 2007 - The Milwaukee Bucks announced today that 2007 first round draft pick Yi Jianlian (EE jee-AHN-lee-AHN) has signed a multi-year contract. The Bucks 6th overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft, Yi Jianlian signed his contract in Hong Kong following a negotiating session with Mr. Chen Haitao, owner of the Guangdong Tigers. Bucks owner and team president Senator Herb Kohl, General Manager Larry Harris and Bucks Vice President Ron Walter were able to meet with Mr. Chen, as well as Yi and his family, as part of the process.
    Yi Jianlian is expected to join the team for training camp that begins on Monday, October 1 at the Bucks Training Center in St. Francis, WI.

“There has been a genuine excitement throughout our city and state, as well as internationally, following our selection of Yi in the NBA Draft,” said Senator Herb Kohl. “We all anticipate Yi’s arrival and welcome him and his family to Milwaukee. We look forward to a successful relationship for many years to come.”

“We would be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge and thank Mr. Chen for his assistance and support in the negotiating process,” Kohl added.

“We were thrilled to be able to draft Yi Jianlian in June and are equally excited to sign him to a NBA contract as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks,” said Harris. “We drafted Yi with the expectation that he would be a part of our franchise for a very long time and this is the first step in that process. Yi is a skilled and versatile young man who we have seen play numerous times over the last few years including this summer in the NBA Summer League. Our players and coaches look forward to working with Yi and I know our fans will enjoy watching him compete with the many talented, young players on our roster.”

NBA Commissioner David J. Stern commented, “We are happy that Yi will be playing with the Bucks to further develop his skill and his contribution to both the Chinese National Team and the NBA. This is another great example of cooperation between the CBA and the NBA and I want to congratulate the CBA, Mr. Chen, the Guangdong Tigers and the Milwaukee Bucks.”

A 6-11, 238-lbs. forward, Yi Jianlian has played professionally for the Guangdong Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) since 2002-03, when he was awarded Rookie of the Year honors. He has competed in the last five CBA Finals and won titles in 2004, 2005 and 2006, earning the Finals Most Valuable Player honors in 2006. In 2003-04, he averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds in 28 games, including his first CBA title. The following season in 53 contests, Yi improved his numbers to 16.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots on his way to a second consecutive CBA title. Yi led Guangdong to a third straight CBA title in 2005-06, averaging 20.5 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 52 games. Last season, Yi posted career-high averages with 24.9 points, 11.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 30.7 minutes. He led Guangdong to a fifth straight appearance in the CBA Finals, but bowed to Bayi in five games (4-1).

This summer, Yi Jianlian and Team China Basketball played five games in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Yi averaged 12.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots in 28.0 minutes per game. He tallied a team-high 23 points vs. Memphis, and 20 points, including the game-winner, in Team China Basketball’s win over Cleveland.

Most recently in the Efes Pilsen World Cup in Izmir, Turkey, Yi averaged 23 points and 8 rebounds over three games against Poland (28 points, 10 rebounds), Serbia (17 points, 9 rebounds) and Latvia (24 points, 5 rebounds).

Yi competed for the Chinese National Team at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan.

About the Milwaukee Bucks
    The Milwaukee Bucks are entering their 40th season of competition in the National Basketball Association (NBA). During the 2007-08 season, General Manager Larry Harris and Head Coach Larry Krystkowiak look to lead the Central Division squad into the playoffs for the 26th time in team history. The Bucks won the NBA Championship in 1971 and became the only professional sports expansion team to win a league championship in the third season of play, a mark that still stands. The team has captured two Conference Titles (1971 and 1974) and thirteen division titles. The Bucks own the seventh best winning percentage among active NBA franchises (53 percent) and the ninth best home winning percentage (65 percent). Since 1968, the Bucks have played before 90% capacity crowds. The Bucks are owned by U.S. Senator Herb Kohl, who is in his 23rd season of ownership. The team opens its 2007-08 season on October 31 at Orlando and plays its first home game in the Bradley Center on Saturday, November 3 vs. Chicago.

11. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this!

I'm confused as to why it isn't on NBA.com or other large media outlets yet. This is pretty big news!

This was really the only option that made sense. Milwaukee gets who they drafted and JianLian gets a chance to repair his image (which would be tougher if he forced a trade).

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah, he and his agents basically forced the Bucks to promise them that he will get a lot of playing time, regardless of how well he plays so that he will be better in the Olympics. That's pathetic. If he isn't ready for the NBA, the Bucks had to promise to play him anyway.

A real team player

(I pretty much posted the same thing in the other Yi thread)

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Yeah, but the Bucks had to have wanted to give him lots of minutes if they were willing to draft him without a workout or any discussions. They took a risk, now they have to hope it'll pay off.

14. Blake

players/agents and ESPECIALLY governments should not dictate or have any say whatsoever in how many minutes a coach gives a player. A player has to EARN minutes by playing well. If Yi does that, good for him. This negotiation, however, is selfish and ridiculous, and it makes me hope he is a bust...when, before all this crap went down, I was hoping he would be good.

15. RoxD

RoxD Member

Which governments? US Government and Chinese Government? I see none of them in this matter.

NBA is not part of the US Government, and CBA is not part of the Chinese Government.

16. howe070523

howe070523 Member

heh some people just need to realise they actually got brainwashed too.
    :D

17. Blake

Then why has the Chinese government had a say in the Yao and Yi negotiations?

18. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

People forget that China is still a communist country albeit a capitalistic communist country.

19. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I agree, I'm just saying that it worked out better than I would have expected. Sure, they have to give him lots of minutes...but at least they're not losing their first-rounder for nothing.

20. zong

zong Member

Chinese government? What level of government are you talking? Everyone has a boss in the world, but Yi's boss is not Chinese government.