1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet another incident of Twitter Stupidity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 14, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/teenager-arrested-threatening-tweet-american-airlines-n80006

Teenager Arrested For Threatening Tweet To American Airlines

Dutch police have arrested a 14-year-old girl in Rotterdam after she sent American Airlines a threatening tweet on Sunday.

The exchange became a viral sensation on Twitter after a user identified as Sarah who went by the name "@QueenDemetriax_," tweeted: "@AmericanAir hello my name's Ibrahim and I'm from Afghanistan. I'm part of Al Qaida and on June 1st I'm gonna do something really big bye."

The alarmed airline swiftly replied: "@queendemetriax_Sarah, we take these threats very seriously. Your IP address and details will be forwarded to security and the FBI."

The regretful and fearful teenager sent multiple tweets back to the airline insisting she was just a kid and joking.

Her Twitter account has subsequently been suspended.

Rotterdam police told NBC News that the girl, accompanied by her mother, voluntarily turned herself into a local police station on Monday.

"It was a serious tweet, so we had to investigate," Cenet De Jonge, spokesperson for Rotterdam Police, told NBC News.

The police say they are investigating the teen and what her motivation was, but that she does not face any charges yet.

The young girl did not get a lot of sympathy on Twitter over the weekend, with many users calling her an "idiot" and the "winner of 'Dumbest Person Alive."

In a statement, the airline assured its customers of its dedication to safety.

“At American, the safety of our passengers and crew is our number one priority. We take security matters very seriously and work with authorities on a case by case basis.”
    [​IMG]

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

It was a well-deserved arrest.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

sometimes.... kids shouldn't be allowed on the internet...

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

5. NateNate

NateNate Member

I deal with juveniles frequently and when **** hits the fan they always retreat to the "I'm just a kid" card. Kids think they can do whatever and suffer no consequences, they feel almost untouchable because they're juveniles and they have the "I'm just a kid" card in their back pockets. I'm happy she got a dose of reality :)

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

lol "Please save my live"

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL @ "It was my friend not me, take her IP address, not mine."

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Sarah is an idiot bye

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol, funny thing when celebrity tweets dumb shet, they resort to this as well. "it wasn't me I swear, it was hax, trust me"

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

arrest-worthy? i don't think so.

i find it hard to believe that of the zillions of tweets, this is the only red-flag-raising one of this nature.

there has to be a better way of sorting these out than arresting every idiot who makes a tweet like this.

so weird to think that anybody can have the feds come knocking at their door by spending 5 seconds composing and sending a tweet.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

She got backtraced.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

"I never did anything wrong in my love"

<3

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Lmao that was awesome.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Poor girl didn't know that you have to be a recognized comedian before you can get away with joking about whatever topic you want.

Normal person gets their live turned upside down, comedian gets some cash in the tip jar.

She also better hope this doesn't go viral in the Middle East before causing a cleric to put a death order on her.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It's not like they'll toss her in jail. They'll question her long and hard, make sure there's nothing serious, and teach her a lesson of watch what you say on the internet. It's the police's job to investigate threats, and that's what they're doing here.

16. VanityHalfBlack

And they still can't function a walkman, smh.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"like OMG i'm in like al quada? and like i'm gunna do something really big? k thx bye"

- Osama bin Laden

18. droopy421

droopy421 Member

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stuff like this distracts from attempts to track down actual threats by adding more noise to the data. Also as Sydeffect's article shows encourages other copycats to engage in more stupidity.

We complain about how much of our privacy is violated by the NSA but stuff like this is why governments go out and collect so much data. To be able to sort out what is an actual threat and what isn't they are going to end up collecting a lot more data.