1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet another example of stupid Jazz fans

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by buiyahkah, May 4, 2008.

1. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke4-2008may04,0,1409513.column?page=3

Fisher's eyes on prize -- his family
    Last spring, in a whirlwind of events that captured the attention of a nation, a cancerous tumor was discovered in the left eye of his infant daughter.
    May 4 2008

Her eyes are his eyes.

On the bad days, when little Tatum Fisher can't stop crying and can't begin to understand, Derek Fisher's clear eyes cloud.

"Sometimes in the morning, I want to call Phil and tell him I just can't make the shoot-around, I just need to be home," he says. "But as one of this team's leaders, that's not something I can do."

On the worse days, every eight weeks, when Tatum is laid on a gurney and a tiny gas mask is placed over her face and she undergoes a cancer-evaluation procedure, Derek Fisher's clear eyes grow red.

"They let us stay in the room and hold her until she goes to sleep, but then they make us leave," he says. "It's always so hard to leave."

Her eyes are his eyes.

Last spring, in a whirlwind of events that captured the attention of a nation, a cancerous tumor was discovered in the left eye of Derek Fisher's infant daughter.

The story has departed the front page but become embedded in his life.

Quietly, typically, with neither fanfare nor complaint, he has spent the last year helping his 22-month-old child fight retinoblastoma while trying to help the Lakers fight for a championship.

The man known for his uncanny vision -- both on the court and in the locker room -- has exhausted himself trying to save his little girl's eye.

He has gone from practice floor to hospital room, from charter flight to computer web cam, from prayer to prayer, keeping one strong hand on his family while directing the Lakers with the other.

"Nothing can prepare you for a sick child, nothing," says his wife Candace.

Fisher shakes his head.

"Never been through a year like this," Fisher admits quietly. "Never."

You couldn't tell from his play. While Kobe Bryant has been the league MVP, Fisher has been the Lakers MVP, never missing a game or a loose ball or a chance to inspire.

"What he does for us, you don't see in a box score," assistant coach Frank Hamblen says. "In every way, he's a class act."

You also couldn't tell from his attitude. Until now, Fisher has refused to give detailed interviews about his personal situation for fear of attracting unnecessary sympathy.

"People everywhere have to deal with their troubles, whether it's medical or financial or whatever," he says. "I don't think my situation is anything special."

The only way you can tell anything is different is from Tatum herself.

As if she knows, she sometimes calls him, "Daddy-Daddy."

Twice the name.

Twice the man.

"She's my Tatey," he said. "She's my sweetie."

And now, it gets even harder.

Now, in the second round of the NBA playoffs beginning today at Staples Center, the Lakers face a team filled with Fisher's best memories and worst nightmares.

He was one of the leaders of the Utah Jazz last spring when Tatum was diagnosed with eye cancer.

He was a hero for the Jazz when he flew back from one of Tatum's cancer treatments in New York just in time to hit a three-pointer that clinched a playoff victory.

He became a former member of the Jazz when the team, in an unprecedented move at his request, terminated his contract so he could move to a place where he felt more stability and comfort with Tatum's cancer treatments.

He was then scorned by the Jazz last winter when its fans loudly accused one of basketball's character guys of being a charlatan.

Her eyes are his eyes.

When Fisher returned to Utah for his first game there as a reborn Laker at the end of November, his focused stare was wide with disbelief.

He was booed. He was booed as he'd never been booed before.

He was booed by fans who decided his request to take care of his daughter was a lie, that he left Utah only because he wanted to return to the Lakers.

This, even though he took about a $6.5-million pay cut to join the Lakers.

This, even though he wanted to bring his family back to within driving distances of trusted doctors and his wife's family.

"I honestly couldn't believe the reaction," Fisher says. "It was very hurtful. It threw me off."

A city that supposedly embraces family values booed like a legion of frauds.

"It was pretty sad," Candace says.

And it wasn't only the fans.

"It did look funny when we just released Derek outright . . . and like, three weeks later, he signed with the Lakers," Jazz owner Larry Miller told the Salt Lake Tribune.

Fisher was booed so much, the surprise stole his game.

"It was the first time in a long time when I felt I couldn't ground myself enough to contribute," he says.

He made only one of eight shots, his second-worst shooting game of the season. He scored three points, his second-worst total. The Lakers lost by 24 points, their worst defeat of the season.

But Fisher learned.

He received several apologies afterward, and some fans actually cheered him in the Lakers' second visit there, but, yeah, he learned.

"It was a great wake-up call for me," he says. "It made me realize, 'OK, you are no longer part of this team or this town.' "

Fisher didn't expect to be applauded. But goodness, does anyone who has known this man for even five seconds really think he would use his daughter's cancer as a bargaining chip?

Fisher thought, if only fans could see him and Candace sitting with Tatum on their drives to the hospital for the periodic procedures.

"Tatum is fine in the beginning, but we get to the hospital, she sees all those people, she knows what's coming, she gets a little upset," he said. "She has this certain cry, it's her scared cry. We always know that scared cry."

Fisher thought, if only they could see him and Candace sitting up with her for the next three nights while her body tries to regain its stability after the procedure's shock to her system.

"All the tubes that have been in her throat, sometimes she'll have trouble breathing, she always has to fight it," Fisher said.

It is these intense checkups -- every four weeks at Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, every two months at Memorial Sloane-Kettering Cancer Center in New York -- that is keeping them strong.

For now, the tumor in her eye is "dead," according to Candace, who runs her family of six with a quiet dignity and strength.

The tumor was put to sleep by three initial chemotherapy treatments, and has been monitored through the constant checkups.

Any decision to remove their daughter's eye -- a common option for those with retinoblastoma -- will wait until she is old enough to tell them how much she can see with that eye.

Initially, they thought her vision there was 10%. There are some signs that it has improved to 40%.

"As long as the tumor isn't getting any bigger, we'll just wait until she can tell us how it's affecting her," Fisher says. "We want to give her every possible chance to keep the eye."

In the meantime, the game is his refuge, the one thing he can control, one of the few 48-minute segments of his life that makes sense.

"I get scared sometimes," Fisher says. "Then I get around my teammates and, it's like, my sanctuary. For two or three hours, I have peace of mind."

Her eyes are his eyes.

It would be nice to say that he can use them to look up at Tatum in the stands during games.

But because she associates crowds with discomfort -- thanks to all the doctors and nurses who have surrounded her -- she's not happy at Staples Center, and has attended only two games.

It would also be nice to say that an NBA championship could make everything right, but it won't come close.

"We do what we have to do to keep Tatum first and foremost in our lives, she's our priority," Candace says. "What Derek is doing with the Lakers is very important, but [when] that's finished, we're waiting for the day when he can be home all the time."

He has thought about it. He'll keep thinking about it. But for now he's thinking about continuing to give his daughter the gift of the fight.

"Ten years from now, I want her to be able to see how she handled this, how she battled this, how special she is," he says, looking into the distance, faintly smiling. "Yeah, I want her to see it."

2. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

i hate utah.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This is why I don't think Utah fans can say anything about class.

That organization, the basketball culture...up and down, top to bottom, left to right are all classless.

Someone tried to defend Utah's view on this board, but there is no excuse.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

We should give Utah away to the Middle East or somethin.

5. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

It's been discussed here before. They didn't boo him because he was a former Jazz player, they booed him because they felt that to some extent he used his daughter as an excuse to get out of Utah.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That goes to show you how rotten they really are.

7. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

I also think this one is against Fisher. He claimed he wanted out of his contract to "spend more time with his daughter". and the signs with LA.

If it was all about his daughter then why not sit out a season.

Of course Utah also can't complain too much since they got Boozer when he hosed over cleveleand..

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

the owner's comments are just ridiculous. there's really no excuse for it. ive never been to Utah, nor do i ever want to go.....but i'll go bigtexxx, on yall and assume that everyone in Utah is a disrespectful POS....just judging on the jazz owner and their fans.

There could be really good reasons for that. It might sound crazy, but to be fair we dont know whether or not he needed the money. And i think he's said in the past that basketball served as an outlet just to get his mind off of that for 2 hours...

On the other hand, Utah fans have NO REASON to boo him.

#8 Nice Rollin, May 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Classless move by the Jazz fans - but if he wanted to be there all the time for his little girl he could have taken a year off.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

So he hands them this sob story and begs out of Utah, saying he needs more time with his daughter and can't be playing ball right now... then he signs with LA right away.

They have no reason to boo him? Really? That sounds pretty shady on Fisher's part if you ask me. How would you feel if, say, Shane Battier begged out of his contract with us, citing family reasons, then went and signed with Boston? Pretty sure you'd be pissed.

11. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I don't think Fisher meant to do anything wrong, but it certainly looks bad. It's also easy to hate him the way he flops.

12. clutch citizen

Why do some people think he's "using" his daughter? Doesn't Derek Fisher's family live in LA?

Didn't he specifically ask to leave Utah to "go to a city with state of the art medical treatment?" LA fits that bill.

Why would ANYONE boo a man in his situation?

Derek Fisher doesn't even have a history of being a jerk. He's a classy guy.

The Jazz owner and fans should just get over themselves. Anyone who thinks that a father of a happy family would use his ailing child as an excuse to leave a team really needs to get over themselves.

13. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Utah fans suck, but I have a feeling that if he was a Rocket at the time and the exact same thing happened, many Houston fans and most of the members of this bbs would boo him and would be outraged.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

anyone remember when he saved their a$$ and came to the game despite his daughter in the hospital? When Dee Brown and Deron williams went down he saved them.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Think it depends on the situation. I can see how it comes across to Utah, but at the same time I can why Fisher did what he did and why he chose to continue playing. Regardless, it's pretty classless to boo the guy since his daughter is very clearly sick. Plus, it's not like losing Fisher was a detriment to the team.

16. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

At first I thought it was a LITTLE ****ty for what Fisher did (mainly the timing of it all)...but I don't really know what Miller was expecting when he released him.

Now I don't know how fair of a comparison it is, but Horry had medical issues with his daughter, yet managed to play in Phoenix, Los Angeles, and San Antonio...all while the daughter stayed in Houston (I believe).

Fisher can do whatever he feels is necessary for his family, but still, Miller shouldn't be saying anything when he gifted the Lakers.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'm betting if he went to the Clippers instead of the Lakers Utah wouldn't have cared so much. Probably just booing because he wound up with a playoff team. Now, if he had signed with, say Boston, that might have been a cause for outrage, since Boston's nowhere near his family and might not have quite the top tier medical facilities that an LA or Houston would have.

18. clutch citizen

I don't think so. At least I hope not.

Battier:Houston is probably the same as Fisher:Utah.

Both class guys, both good at what they do, both are great role players, both flop.

Knock on wood, but if Battier was in the same situation, and he asked out of Houston to go to say Phoenix, I wouldn't hold it against him at all.

Why would he leave a good situation? this is applicable to Fisher, too. I think the Lakers were in worse position than the Jazz at the time. He left a better team to join a mediocre one.

I couldn't imagine Toyota Center booing Battier if he left under those circumstances. In fact, I think they'd give him an ovation.

Also, the heroics that Fisher provided to the city of Utah and that Jazz team is just incredible. He could have EASILY called off, instead he committed to the city and his team to play in the second half HOURS after his daughter's appointments. He gave more than anyone expected to the Jazz that year. Those in Utah should have appreciated that and reserved their boos.

But we're talking about the most classless existence in basketball.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He could have moved to LA and taken a year off or moved his family out there and continued to play for Utah. This is what the Jazz fans are thinking at least IMO -- the main thing is he is a multi-millionaire and could have taken a year off to make her the top priority.

"Sometimes in the morning, I want to call Phil and tell him I just can't make the shoot-around, I just need to be home," he says. "But as one of this team's leaders, that's not something I can do."

The things he considers to be problems taking away time from his daughter could have been easily resolved with a temporary leave from the NBA. He brings up the shoot around, but what about the week long road trips? His priorities are out of whack.

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I think the jazzholes organization and their fans despise the LA aqueducts as much as we despise the jazzholes.

How can anyone forget this gem from 2004:

The Utah Jazz were fined $15,000 by the NBA for a skit that ridiculed Karl Malone and teammate Kobe Bryant during a timeout in the Los Angeles Lakers' game at Utah last week.

During a timeout last Saturday, Jazz mascot "Bear" answered a fake call that was broadcast over the loudspeakers. The caller imitated Malone's voice and identified himself as "Mail," saying he wanted to come "home," L.A. fans were "mean" to him and the Lakers don't pass him the ball.

The call ended with the impersonated voice saying, "I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko...," stopping short of saying Kobe.

Bryant had spent the previous day in Colorado, where he's facing trial on a sexual assault charge.

The skit continued during a later timeout, this time with Jazz owner Larry Miller -- sitting courtside -- accepting a call from the Malone impersonator, hanging up and throwing the phone to the floor.

Here's the link, unfortunately my hyperlink isn't working.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/01/30/bc.bkp.lgns.jazzfine.r/