1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet Again - HDTV Help !!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 9, 2011.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did some searching, most threads were either specific to a model, deal, or old. A 9 month old HDTV thread is probably ancient, so thought I'd start a new one.

My Sony rear projection is 5 years old and needs a replacement. We've had some lamp issues, and rather than repalce again, and because tvs have gotten so much better, think it's time to buy new.

I am in the market for anything 55 inches or bigger. We really like size - if I coudl find a nice 65 incher, that'd be great (cue, that's what she said!!). That's about as far as I've gotten. Cheaper is better, but I'll spend more if I really like the value I'm getting.

I've spent some time at Best Buy, and on cnet, and breifly on avsforum. Avsforum has gotten so big it's difficult to use until you have narrowed down to a few specific models. I don't care about 3D one way or the other - nice if it has it, doesn't have to. Though I am noticing most of the newer models are all including it, plus some kind of internet connectivity. If I had to rate importance to us, it'd be (1) size, (2) picture quality, (3) thin-ness, weight, (4) sound quality, (5) internet connectivity, (6) 3D ability.

I of course know all the major brands have good options. I've also used a Vizio and feel comfortable with that, if truly a better deal.

Any thoughts? Tinman, et al? Any thing coming out very very soon to wait for? Any great great deals - I don't have to be on the very leading edge, willing to buy a 6 month old product if it's a great deal. I'm very flexible (Swoly...again!).

Also, thoughts on sound? I am very minimalist when it comes to sound. Been rolling only from the tv. Not a huge fan of big sound/theatre systems. I don't need to recreate AMC in my living room. I just like to be able to see and hear clearly. Do any of those surround sound bar systems work? That is my preference.

Appreciate any help!

1 person likes this.
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Ugh... FINE. You know what..? Just... UGH, FINE.
    :eek: That's what SHE said.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

4. droxford

droxford Member

How many years of life do you want from your TV before you expect it to need to be replaced?

5. DumDaDumDum

DumDaDumDum Member

HDTV is yet another way for foolish Americans to further throw money away rather than invest re-stimulate our economy.

How about you buy a REGULAR tv and toss the rest into a 401-K. :rolleyes:

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'm sure that was helpful.

Couldn't just say you think it's a bad value, couldn't just make a comment like "I don't understand why people think that's important"?

Had to go with peeing on his cheerios AND insulting the general populous too, eh? :rolleyes:

7. yo

yo Contributing Member

Thanks, Charles Schwab. Know where we can find these so-called "regular" TVs?

1 person likes this.
  8. JayZ750

I guess shorter than I used to. My current set's lifespan kind of crept up on me, really. Didn't even know it had been five years until we started thinking about replacement, etc. Realized bought it in summer 06, so yeah.

I anticipate in another 5 years, we'll probably replace again, then, for some reason. Probably cause 3D or whatever is new will be more important to us then, as we only have a 1 year old now.

For that reason, I'd really prefer not to overspend.

doing fine, thanks.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've had a DLP for about 5 years now. I don't think I will be replacing that just "because." I will wait until it actually malfunctions or the lamps aren't available. I hope for about 5 more years. It's unusual, but I hope it continues to function just like when we purchased it. It's a SONY, too, so I am expecting its quality to surpass most other TVs.

I have been ready to jump on the LED bandwagon, but I won't buy unless I have to. :eek:
    :rolleyes: There are NO "regular" TVs anymore, sir.

What, don't tell me you have one of these here beauties, still, at your house?

[​IMG]

:grin:

10. tmoney1101

Commie

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Newsflash:

Spending on consumer goods stimulates the economy.

Removing funds from circulation and placing them in a 401-k does not.

Economics fail.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the OP, I just bought one of these refurbished TVs from Tiger Direct. It got top reviews on cnet. As far as it being refurbished, I had to tell my wife it wasn't 100% new, because I can't tell, and I saved about $800. It was also delivered in about 1/2 the time they indicated it would take.

It's kind of on the edge of what you are looking for in terms of a high-end 55+ incher, but it is a great deal.

13. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I have an LG LCD that I bought about 3 years ago. It has been a great TV, although the speakers on the TV are not that great (should get a surround sound system anyway). I also find that they are a great value compared to the other major brands. I cannot find myself to buy a Vizio just because they have to be THAT inexpensive for a reason, right? But I feel that you are not into hardcore TV watching and you just want a quality TV at a good price, so I would recommend any LED (or 3D) TV that you are comfortable paying for. The parity in the TV market is pretty prevalent so I would just find some features that you like, and go with your gut.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Plasma HD TVs

At the larger sizes you will probably get a better Price/size deal with a Plasma TV over an LCD. LCDs can get pricy at the larger sizes.

I have a Panasonic Plasma (58") and it rocks (2008 model 800U). Great picture, deep blacks, great viewing angle and great with motion(sports). Panasonics are some of the best ones out there for Plasma, especially with Pioneer (Kuro) throwing in the towel.

I would include the Pannys in your search.

15. JayZ750

even without the split pay, wouldn't something like

http://www.fatwallet.com/best-tv-deals/lg-55lw5600-55-1080p-led-3d-hdtv/

be a much better deal? $400 cheaper, includes 4 pairs of glasses. one of the better deals i can find... just not sure I need to be the "deal-hunter" guy. do want a solid set.

does 120hz vs. 240hz make a huge difference?

16. tmoney1101

17. JayZ750

thanks for the link. helpful.

what about plasma vs. lcd/led? i know lcd/led is thinner (in case of new ones, much)... and plasma historically has had burn out issues (though reading that's gotten better), but a lot of the cnet reviews seem to rate the plasmas better.

thoughts?

EDIT: Found the updated 2011 LCD vs. Plasma article from the same site. Seems to still favor plasma overall.

#17 JayZ750, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  18. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you don't mind "deep", go rear projection DLP (my 72 inch is 20 inches deep). Best bang for the buck on picture and size. My 72 Mitsubishi DLP has a better picture than my 50 inch Sony Bravia LCD and 42 inch samsung plasma.

And for the love of all things holy, stay away from Best Buy.

I challenge you to find a new tv that isn't HD. (that's rhetorical - HD is "regular" now).

20. JayZ750

i don't think i want to do dlp again. i'm ready for plasma or lcd/led.

where is the best place to buy in person? is online safe? i bought my last tv at conn's of all places, cause they gave me a great price match. i have bought online, too, but it was a great deal for $500. For a bigger purchase like this... not sure?