1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yes go for Durant but don't sleep on Harrison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Feb 10, 2016.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if we give Barnes the max like he's going to get from some scrub team, we'll never win the chip around Harden + Barnes.

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He fills the gaps we are missing plus he hasn't had the opportunity to step into the robin role. He could pan out very well and is still young. He has a good pedigree coming from UNC.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's about to show the world his level.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Everyone expect the salary cap to sky rocket next season, but we don't know the number. If it indeed went up high, that means every team also have enough cap space for max contract. Durant wants to win. If I'm him I'll try to get superstar to join him and Westbrook in OKC. Barnes seems like a lay back guy. I don't think he want to be the #1 or #2 option. As long as GSW is paying him, I don't think he's leaving. Who doesn't like on winning team and get paid? Unless GSW not paying him his market price and/or he want to be the main guy. If we are keeping the same team. We should go after Mike Conley and Ryan Anderson.

5. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Barnes is basically a Danny Green level player. Good shooter, good defender. He really isn't worth the max unless he proves a consistent ability to get into the middle of defenses and either create for himself or others.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As I said, it's a tough situation.

I tend to think what you're thinking... which is Barnes has not proven he's good enough for a max deal, or that imperative to the Warriors. He's more part of the rest of the team after Curry/Green/Thompson.

But ... IF they win this year, it's not hard to see them go for it and not care about the luxury tax. Keep Barnes, and continue to have the depth.

7. malakas

malakas Member

He had the opportunity to show more by being the leader of the bench => FAILED. That's why Iggy had to come off the bench and he be a starter.

And as far I know he did nothing in UNC and his hype is from highschool. The most hyped player who has done absolutely nothing to warrant it right now.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't think a lot of people are seeing how much Barnes has significantly improved and what he does but that's ok. He can continue killing teams and hitting big shots and just be labeled as some "Danny Green type"

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, he's hardly a HOF in the making but he's shaping up to be a very nice player. The same folks that thought Draymond's deal was a joke are back for more. I'd put Barnes at the very top of the emerging tier of SF that includes Middleton, Parsons, Hood, etc...

10. malakas

malakas Member

the big shots are hit either in clutch or when the player is guarded and respected by the defence. How guarded was Barnes when he hit his shots?

Green is an elite shooter, Barnes isn't. The good is that he is versatile and that is now a skill in extreme demand. But he isn't even elite defensively.
    He isn't elite at playmaking or pnr or rebounding. So what is he elite at?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was guarded as good as can be last night when he took over in the post. That's a regular thing for them. Anytime HB gets a smaller guy on him they immediately go to him and absolutely kills it. He doesn't necessarily have to be elite at anything to be a very nice player. He's solid in all those areas right now not to mention he can defend multiple positions. This is especially valuable since the league has gone to small ball. Oh another plus is this guy is still improving. One definite "elite" quality he definitely has is that he impacts winning. That's the #1 quality I'm looking for in a young upcoming player.

12. ibm

ibm Member

the weakest link of the gsw starting 5 can somehow be the key missing piece for our championship run? based on what? just because he had 19pts and killed us in the 4th quarter last night?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

funny thing is there isn't a weak link in the GSW championship lineup of DG at the 5. If that's a weak link to you then its no wonder the GSW are absolutely killing teams these days.

Also if you're talking about the opening starting 5, Bogut is the "weak link"

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Shoot for the stars. Even if you miss you'll land Harrison Barnes.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those 4 won't would diddly without Bogut.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's why their best lineup is without him right lol

17. malakas

malakas Member

yes he's versatile. That's undeniable I said so in my post. But he's not even extremely veratile (guarding 4 positions) or an elite defender.

He was as well guarded as anyone? Really? When Klay and Curry have some of the most respect by the defences? There is actual evidence on how much Barnes is left unguarded when he hits his shots you know. (One of the biggest % in the league. Last year it was I think around 70%).

In the Rockets system Ariza got 40% open. Not 70%. Put Barnes in our system..or any other system for that matter who does't have two elite shooters like klay and curry and his shooting % will dip undoubtably.

So he can post up some smaller players and bullyball? Good for him. When he can post up some of his own size then we can talk about an elite skill.

If you think that a player who is versatile but not elite in any aspect of his game is someone our team should give 22 per then ok. I disagree.

And his efficiency this year too is with a usage of a roleplayer. When a player ups his usage his efficiency DROPS. Thats a fact. Unless that player suddendly develops much more.
    But if Barnes had showed the potential to handle more usage he wouldn't have to make his coach take Iggy to the bench because he would be able to be the leader of the bench and lead the second unit.
    Here is Zach Lowe's analysis on Barnes game
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/harrison-barnes-2016-extension-free-agent/

Some quotes :

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's not MAX MONEY good. IF you're basing your opinion on his game against us, that would be an extremely skewed view of what he's capable of.

He's a Chandler Parsons IMO. In any system where the team is not running like crazy, his value is further reduced. Standing around the perimeter for Harden to pass him the ball would make him no better than Ariza IMO, although I don't think Ariza can do what Barnes does on the Warriors.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

never once threw out any numbers on what I think this guy is worth. Is he going to get a big pay day? Yup. Would I like to have him on my team? Yes I would. The bench issue is way in the past and HB is a far better player now compared to then. He's way past that and is a starter in this league. That's not questionable at this point in his career. You have your opinion on him and I have mine. By no means am I calling him some future HOF but I am impressed by him as the player hes becoming thus far and see a very legit wing player who would fit nicely next to JH.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

lets be honest. we bring up the max money issue how many times. Who truly is worth max money. Only a handful of players are.