1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yardbarker-What might a Rockets overhaul look like this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 26, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

[​IMG]

Originally posted on Sportsnaut | By Vincent Frank | Last updated 5/26/19

Report of tension between James Harden and Chris Paul comes on the heels of their Houston Rockets losing in the second round of the NBA Playoffs.

Said loss was especially devastating in that it came against the Golden State Warriors with Kevin Durant sidelined for the final game with an injury.

All the while, Rockets head coach Mike D’Antoni has indicated he’d like to coach two or three more seasons. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

On the court, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey could look to reshape the roster in a big way. Here’s how this might play out.

No draft capital: Houston is without a pick.

• This could ultimately hurt the Rockets’ chances of pulling off a blockbuster trade. While Morey has noted that they have their full complement of picks beyond 2019, that’s not going to help in June.
    • From a pure roster standpoint, this will also hurt the Rockets as they attempt to get younger.
    • This means Houston will again be relying on aging veterans who have been tapped out for some time.
    The Chris Paul dynamic: He might not be a tradable asset.

• At 34 years old, Paul is well past his prime. He averaged just 16.7 points and less than six assists during Houston’s six-game series loss to Golden State.
    • Paul is set to count north of $124 million against the cap over the next three seasons. That includes a $40-plus million cap hit in each of the final two years.
    • Could the Rockets find a team dumb enough to take on this contract when it’s apparent that Paul is in the back end of his career?
    There might be one: Despite his contract, Paul might already be drawing interest.

• Reports out of the des
      • ert indicate that the Phoenix Suns could be interested in adding a veteran point guard of Paul’s ilk.
      • Phoenix has long been in the market for someone to team up with star shooting guard Devin Booker.
      • The Suns currently have nearly $25 million in cap room to work with. This makes is possible to pull off a trade.
      The trade: How it might look?
      • Phoenix would send the expiring contract of Tyler Johnson ($19.25 million) and talented small forward T.J. Warren to Houston in order to make the money work.
      • From there, Houston might ask for former No. 4 overall pick Josh Johnson and draft pick compensation.
      • It would unlikely be the Suns’ first-round pick (sixth overall). Instead, maybe the team’s second-round selection (32nd overall).
    • Now that Paul is gone: This trade would force Houston to look for a point guard.
      • There’s options here. Houston could potentially use its mid-level exception on a stop-gap option at the point.
      • Names in that category include Rajon Rondo, Ricky Rubio, Patrick Beverley and Derrick Rose.
      • All four of these players would be better fits with Harden in the back court than Paul. They are not ball-dominant guards.
        Rounding it out: How the rest might look.
        • Flush with perimeter players such as Tyler Johnson, Josh Johnson and the unnamed veteran point guard, the Rockets would have the luxury to potentially trade Eric Gordon.
        • He’s a tremendous asset in that the 30-year-old guard is still playing at a high level and is set to count just $14 million against the cap next season.
        • This would help the Rockets net a starting power forward to go with Clint Capela and Josh Johnson in the front court.
        • Pure hypothetical here, but the Lakers could make for a solid trade partner with stretch forward Kyle Kuzma being used as bait.
        It’s rather clear that the current version of these Rockets can’t compete with Golden State out west. They couldn’t even come out on top in a win or go home Game 6 without Durant in the mix.

It’s time for Houston to change things up. What we listed above were simply ideas. Morey is one of the best general managers in the game. He’ll do what’s needed to improve the Rockets behind soon-to-be two-time MVP James Harden.
    • https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/arti...rhaul_look_like_this_summer/s1_12680_29176664

Y2JT and MiddleMan like this.
  2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Man I love the idea of sending Cp3 to Phoenix. And I think it makes A LOT of sense for Phoenix to do this. They still have Ayton on a super cheap deal and gives them a distributor to get Booker + Ayton going. The age doesn't matter as much since they need to find a PG for the future still and this gives them 3 years to groom one.

For us, I love the idea of snagging Warren and Jackson. Josh Jackson is a complete wild card but he has all the potential in the world and a change of scenery surrounded by vets (Tucker/Harden) could be a great environment for him to succeed. We get younger and more athletic which is going to be imperative for us competeting while Harden is still in his prime.

I think we need to build for 2021 and next year will be a transition year. I do not believe we can afford to go "all in" again next year.

tc0330 and Y2JT like this.
  3. jboslett

jboslett Member

That was a dumb article.

Trade CP and EG for players who aren’t ready to compete for a title in Harden’s prime? He’d be asking for a trade, rightfully.

Remlap, Omer, tycoonchip and 3 others like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Can't believe people are still running with that Zach Lowe's *off the cuff admittedly goofy spitball idea of CP3 and the Suns.* He said it in jest and people aggregate it like there is teeth to it?

Also, Yardbarker?

juanm34, napalm06 and HP3 like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is a repackaging of a couple of other recent opinion articles.

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

suns don’t have josh johnson.

Those suns and Tatum go to pelicans, Davis and tons of peanuts to c.
    Rockets get rozier and horford.

#6 BigBum, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Theking and topfive like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

He obviously meant Josh Jackson.

Still, hard to take the writer seriously when he bases his entire article on an imaginary scenario (the Suns "trying to acquire" CP3) mentioned by another writer.

#7 topfive, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Williamson likes this.
  8. rockets13champs

I couldn’t trust this once he said Josh Johnson

Theking likes this.
  9. rgw20014life

rgw20014life Member

Does this guy know something we don't know? I'm talking about the soon to be 2x MVP James Harden part. I thought the consensus was Giannus took most of the votes.

10. Garner

Garner Member

Stop posting threads.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

What's next? Jeff Van Gundy to be defensive coordinator thread?

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

How long do you think Harden is going to continue playing at this level?

NO team with an elite player in his prime can just wait another year....

13. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Van Gundy is not going to run a defense. He will be a head coach but not an assistant.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not that this article has a shred of truth to it ….. But are you against moving CP3 ?

I'm not …. for the right deal , you can have anyone not named Harden.

I really don't think Harden and CP3 are the ideal fit. You'd be better off with a combo guard type next to Harden than a ball dominant point and using that 30% of the cap to improve the 3 or 4 spots - players that play off of your MVP , not taking the ball out of his hands.

Imagine Rivers (or someone similar) as your secondary facilitator with Harden , Kuzma (or someone similar), Tucker and Capela …. That's a solid defensive starting 5 that can score a lot of ways , you still have EG on the bench and space under the tax line to build a strong bench.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Morey has had to give up prime assets to dump other contracts, yet we're supposed to expect something valuable in return for a declining Paul? I'm not holding my breath.

saleem likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

would be funny if mauri suddenly jumps ship and signs with another team. no one would have experienced as much voodoo sent their way as mauri will.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trading Harden to the Pelicans for Zion would be an overhaul.

Shuffled assistant coaches to MDA, and shuffling vet min role players changes very little.

It’s still D’Antoni, and it’s still a Harden/CP3/Capela driven offense. Not that much can realistically change without breaking up the core. The Rockets are likely going to be who they’ve been and hoping for a break in the West next year with GS maybe losing some players or imploding in the locker room.

So changes are coming of course to the supporting elements but let’s be honest here about how much it really changes.

J.R. and saleem like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My guess is that they will attempt to re-sign Rivers. I think they will fail to do so, they might go after a backup center and then try to trade Capela.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So if I understand this correctly, the Rockets could get Jack Johnson?

Remlap likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Only thing Trading Capela means is a doubling down on Harden iso ball and quicker threes.

I think if they trade Capela that doesn’t shift the makeup of the team necessarily but it certainly makes them more predictable.