1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's practice partner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rm365, Sep 26, 2004.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Now that Kelvin Cato is gone, how is Yao gonna continue to improve his offensive game without legit defenders during practice? Who is Yao gonna hone his post-moves against? Slow-mo Mutombo? I dunno about that... Mo-T? too soft and short. I hope this doesn't have any adverse effects.

2. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

Motumbo can still block, and he is a legit 7-2........ this may be even better for Yao. He'd learn to keep the ball high and not get blocked as easily. He'd also start to get aggitated at the elbow being thrown at him by mutombo so he'd figure out a way to deal with that against opponents.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

rest assured, with the state of centers in this league being what it is.....Motombo and Ewing are more than enough to get Yao ready for the season.

thats a little over 14 feet of experience to work against. ;)

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Good point.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, it's a shame Yao won't get to practice againt Cato's lightning-quick lateral movement anymore.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I still remember that NY game where Mutombo elbowed Yao in the throat. :mad: I wonder if Yao still remembers that.

I know 'Cato's lightning-quick lateral movement' isn't an official oxymoron but it should be. :D

7. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

By the way, in the past week, there were 4 diferent articles on sina.com saying Yao may have serious injuries this season, his toes, knees, and elbows all in trouble.:(

8. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Getting blocks is great, and Cato might look slow (esp when guarding power forwards), but Mutombo is like the San Andreas fault, and there's more to post-D than getting blocks. Look at Cato's excellent defense against Shaq last playoffs. Can Deke at his advanced age do that??! Yao burned him for 28 pts last season I believe. I guess I'm a worry-wart.

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Are these the same writers that claimed that Yao had hypertension last year. :rolleyes:

They're just overreacting to nothing. If Yao did have serious injuries, he wouldn't be working out like has been doing with Falsone and the rest of the team. End of story.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Cato wasn't the one that contained Shaq last year. I remember numerous times where Shaq rolled over Cato on the way to the basket. It had more to do with JVG's double teams and getting the ball out of Shaq's hands. Hence Malone beating us bad in that one game of the series.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Yao should be practicing against a guy 6'10" who has a good strong lower body. His problem isnt with big centers, its with the smaller gyus who always wind up making him look silly sometimes

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

We need to get Najara!:D

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

we had him but let him go:mad:

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

And since Mutombo is a 4 time Defensive Player of the Year, I imagine he knows a little about defense.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

God i still remember those years that Hakeem won and all Deke could do was whine and cry how he did this and that and deserved it. I mean he was good on defense cause he was blocking a lot of shots but Hakeem was all around better at defense.

He eventually got his but it was just annoying hearing him whine about it.