1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's non-playing time at the All-Star game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Feb 17, 2008.

1. GranvilleWaders

Ok..so it frustrates me to see yet again Yao not playing much in the all-star game. As a Rockets fan I voted to see him IN the game. He gets 2 minutes in the first half and ten minutes in the second..for a total of 12 minutes. Stoudemire gets 23 and Duncan gets 22...Nowitski seems to get a lot of minutes at C. I realize they run up and down the court basically playing pickup ball..but Geez..you'd think being picked a STARTER would get you more minutes. Do you think maybe he's just turning minutes down? I hope not...get in there for your fans. I was just disappointed.

2. GranvilleWaders

oops sorry..please put this in the all star thread.. thanks

3. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Personally, I don't think Yao really goes crazy over an All Star Game. He seems to be more into playing an actual game for a cause than to show off in front of the whole nation.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, Yao played 8 mins in the first half, and played 6 mins in the 2nd half.

He played well for the defense, but for the offense, it is hard for those players to pass the ball to him. I guess, if Tmac was there, both of them would play longer time.

5. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I'm sorry if you were dissapointed, but get over it. They aren't trying to slow down the game and throw it in the post.

If you want to see Yao play, watch him in the 82 games during the season where he logs his minutes.

6. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

eh, who cares. he's not built for the all-star game style of play. i'd rather see dunks and crap than yao's turnaround jumpshots. he did have a nice move on d. howard that got him to the line though.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

noone wants to watch a slow footed 7 footer in an all-star game. people want to see flashy fast breaks and dunks.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am sure he doesn't care much about the game. He sees it for what it is, a show for the fans. But that doesn't mean he should automatically be benched. Every starter (outside of Kobe who was injured) got at least 20 minutes. Yao got the least minutes on the west squad and only 2 players on the east got less playing time. That is just pathetic. I could tell Yao wasn't fretting over it but 13 minutes for a fan voted starter. I don't ever remember that happening before. Yao just don't get no respect! I hope the Rockets continue on their winning ways and kick some butt in the playoffs and meet Orlando in the finals and he makes Howard cry!

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I voted for him and I wanted to watch him play more than 13 I can assure you. ANd I bet alot of the people who voted for him wanted the same thing.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I voted for both Yao and Tmac. When Tmac was not voted in ASG, I knew this could happen, because It is hard for other players to pass the ball well to Yao! :(

11. tsunami

tsunami Member

noone my ass. I voted for him and I want to watch him play in ASG.

12. GranvilleWaders

The speedy Tim Duncan got 22 minutes...the Center reserve (Duncan) got 22 minutes and the starter (Yao) got 12? that just aint right...it has to be Yao giving up his minutes.

13. choujie

choujie Member

All star game is about entertaining, not about winning. Yao's game is the opposite. It's very reasonable not to play him much in this type of games.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Only Rockets fan would want to. I doubt even *** fans want Yao to be in the game. The game is all about marketing and showbiz. I rather watch Yao dominate against real teams than these fake fantasy all-star teams you people probably have orgasms over

15. demon77

demon77 Member

I gave up after the 1st quater.......

All Star is about the fan, but it was god damn painful watching it. If they had made the ALL star count for something, then maybe its worth watching the full game.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the game was tight in the 4th and both squads wanted to win.

yao is just not suited for this type of game. that is all. i don't know why people are getting all riled up over this.

for yao to be effective, he has to be the focus of an offense. he needs touches. i don't think the west is willing to wait 10-15s for yao to establish position and pound it in to him.

17. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I think Yao did very well in the ASG a few years in LA. He could well be on his way to the MVP if he stayed in the game. But since it was held in LA they had to put Shaq back in the game and Shaq went on winning the MVP, IIRC.

18. Phillips

Phillips New Member

Yeah, I think Yao is a kind of pragmatic player who shoots in the game and deserves our respect.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

If it's not about winning, put Yao on the court a little longer. All I saw was Dirk Jacking up shots, Ducan laying bricks, equally boring if not more. That spin move followed by a stop and reverse dunk, though fouled by Howard, was very very entertaining.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

That is because SF3 is pg, and he passed the ball to Yao!