1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao talks about the Lin and Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Nov 14, 2013.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Yao talks about the Lin and Howard

original link:
    http://sports.cntv.cn/2013/11/14/VIDE1384431601923923.shtml
    http://sports.cntv.cn/2013/11/14/VIDE1384430283187353.shtml

here is my translation

Q: after the game against lakers, some people say it was Lin who didn't defend well at the end, he was responsible for the loss, what do you think?

A: well, they lost the game at the last seconds, people would want look for a scapegoat. I watched the clip to look at each players' position. There was some problem with where Lin was standing. But, what it really reflects is what they were doing in the practice. Let me put it this way, if JVG was coaching that possession, his guards would not make that mistake. Where Lin was standing could easily be exploited by the opponents. But if the coach was really good at defense strategies, he would have already instructed the players where they should be standing in that kind of situation.

Q: who should start, Lin or Beverly?

A: Well, Lin can play good either as a starter or come off the bench. He can get his teammates involved. Beverly is good, but he can not do that. The starters do not need Lin to carry them, the bench does.

Q: How is Howard doing with this team?

A: Top of my heard, we all see his free throws. Basketball court is a strange place. A lot of moves and skills you do at there are not very like what you have practiced. There might be no defense in practice, in games there are, they push you to have to make adjustments. But there is one skill that remains the same: free throws. no defense in practice, neither in games. Other than fundmentals, free throw is all about mentality, to all of a sudden withdraw yourself from the intense atmosphere and find your peace of mind.

Q: Would you offer him some advice next time you see him?

A: What can I say? God is fair. Oneal was so badass, but free throw was his Achilles' Heel. I guess Howard might be his perfect successor, in every aspect. (laugh)

Q: What do you see from Rockets front court that needs improvement?

A: I think Rockets need a PF like Scola. Scola is so versatile, he fits into any kind of style. Having a PF like Scola near the free throw line would bring bigger advantage to Howard. To have someone who has midrange, can do some dirty work and set high quality picks would be great.

2 people like this.
  2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Wow. Yao Ming speaking the truth.

Very critical of McHale and speaking subtly of Howard.. comparing him to Shaq to save face..

3. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Thanks for sharing bob. Wow Yao made too much sense!

4. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

In summary:

McHale is not very bright.
    Like Shaq, Howard will always be a poor free throw shooter.
    Need a PF to set picks.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

But Sampson is our defensive coach right? LOL. Not really McHale.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yao with some love for Scolaaa

7. howo13579

howo13579 Member

For those think it's tl;dr.
    A1: McHale sucks.
    A2: Bev should start.
    A3: Howard's free throws suck.
    A4: There's no cure for Howar's free throws.
    A5: Get Scola back in Rockets uniform asap.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

let's hope DM gets a transcript of this...

9. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

10. Rudy

Rudy Member

Advice in FT would be nice.

Not sure why Dwight doesn't want help on his FT shooting.

He didn't want help from Steve Nash of all people, but he's constantly asking Dream advice on his post-up game.

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

D Mo is the closest thing to Scola we have on this team.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The starters do not need Lin to carry them, the bench does.

Lin should come off the bench - Yao

Good to see he has transcended the whole "loss of face" issue that LOF's here seem to struggle with even though he is a CBC

13. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I miss Yao!! We got his PG ABz waiting if Yao ever decides to make a return.

14. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I'm sure LOFs would also like to point out that Yao essentially said Lin is better than Bev and his talents would serve the bench more than the starting group (i.e., Bev adds 5 pts to starting group or 5 points to bench, whereas Lin adds 7 points to starting group but 10 to bench, hence putting him on the pine makes more sense).

I agree with that assessment.

1 person likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No, don't care what Yao say, ESPN say demotion, Lin lose face

-LOF in respond

1 person likes this.
  16. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Yao speaks nothing but the truth. Now Morey should execute the truth - we need a better coach and we should get Scola back. How about Lionel Hollin or the best coach of NBA but fired by the silly Nuggets or even JVG? But Scola is harder to get though. The way Indiana is playing and winning, he may not want to leave there. LOL.

17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Mind = Blown

18. hltiki

hltiki Member

Is everyone from Texas like this?

19. yummyhawtsauce

LOL @ god is fair, and Yao is 100% on the spot about the PF position. They need someone to do teh dirty work to set screens and run PNR. Hopefully Tjones can mold himself into that role. That would be great.

20. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Yao is seeing Lin beasting as the 6th man off the bench. I don't think he thinks it is face losing when you can torch the other teams 30+ scores in two successive games. He may be the player of the week the way he is scoring and dominating. That is not face losing. To see him playing 2nd fiddle to Harden & Howard and catering to their iso is more face losing to me.