1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao once thought about retire after last game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by boby, Nov 20, 2008.

1. boby

boby Member

This is from Chinese website, reported by one of Yao's best buddy, so I think it's quite credible.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2008-11-21/09534083091.shtml

I will try to get the main idea here:

During the game, Yao felt the soreness come from the same spot where he had surgery this year. However after the game, he felt much better and even told the reporters that he will certainly show up in the next game.

The next day, Yao went to get his MRI done just in case, and went to Chinatown to get his hair done in a very good mood. When he was about to have dinner with his family, he received a call from Jones who told him the MRI result was out and he need to "get another surgery done and rest for three months".

Yao was so shocked by this news and he felt like the end of the world. He was so frustrated and mad at himself that the idea of 'retire' even occurred to him. Before he went to bed that night, Jones called again said doctors studied again and they thought one month was enough and surgery might not necessary. Yao felt slightly better however still like in the hell. He didn't get any sleep that night.

The next morning, Yao went to the hospital with several experts hired by Rockets. They studied his MRI for a long time and Yao watched them like a scared boy. After several hours of debate, experts finally agree that "3 days is enough."

Yao felt like mentally went thorough the Hell to the Heaven. That night, when Yao met JVG at Toyota center, he told him that docs said he need to rest three months. JVG was totally shocked. Yao looked at his face and laughted:"no, just three days!" then they laughed together.

Man, that was a tough 24 hours for Yao!!!

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm far from a medical expert, but it's a little scary hearing the doctors go from surgery and three months rest to only three days rest. Hopefully this isn't true.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Somebody needs to be fired.

4. devin23

devin23 Member

You've got to be kidding...

5. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Sina is not a credible site.

6. devin23

devin23 Member

oops this is directed at the OP's article.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like a Yao joke on JVG got completely lost in translation

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope this is the usual credible stuff from sina. Otherwise, this season would go the way of the Houston Texans---start with hope, quickly fade to, Well, that frees up my time, anyway.

9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

wow, i hope this is not true. dude curse of the toyota center man. we gotta tear that thing down.

10. conquistador#11

If this were true, those doctors should have their practice licenses revoked and removed from the country. How are they going to do that to a man, to yao? That's my center man! :(

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

I don't even care if yao "thought of retire (sic)". if this story is true, our docs are the biggest group of jackasstic idiots on the planet. how the ... do you go from

1) surgery & 3 mos off, to
    2) no surgery & 3 days off

????????

if true, our docs don't know there fibs from there fibulas.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

jvg this has to be 2 seasons ago. Is this related to his injury this week?

13. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

yep, its related to his current injury. article date is 2008-11-21. i think he just met jvg at toyota center since jvg was commentating on the game.

14. heypartner

JVG did the ESPN game Wednesday. He was at Toyota Center. What it sounds like is he asked Yao about the injury and Yao made a joke, and sina.com confused that with reality and wrote some lost in translation convoluted story. Makes me think Yao must get surprised how serious his jokes are taken, so he plays along to see what sina will write.

15. boby

boby Member

Based on Yao's comments on ESPN which everyone saw, I think this is very true. Yao said on ESPN that we should allow "doctors to make mistakes, because I make 3 turn over each game".

16. boby

boby Member

If there is any lost in translation, it;s me. Not Sina. Yao met JVG that night and talk with him for long time. Pics can be found everywhere.

17. jackie_moon23

jackie_moon23 Member

Hahaha...if there's any truth to this I'd be shocked/in tears. If a doctor thinks Yao needs surgery and will be out 3 months, changing his mind or not, then I'm not confident in the status of that foot. "Hey bud you need surgery and 3 months rest...ohhh nevermind I guess no surgery and 3 days outta do it." Huh? I like to believe Rockets players have availability of better physicians than that! :eek:

18. heypartner

it isn't true.

aside from the fact doctors would not do that, I don't know why you'd assume such a thing would not go reported to the US media.

19. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

It was reported that Yao sought a second opinion before the game.

20. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

are you kidding? I listen to sporting news radio last night and they kept reporting on Yao's "ankle injury"