1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao needs...everyone to chill, it was just one off game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EssTooKayTD, Nov 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Yao needs this, Yao needs that. Why wait until he has one off game to come and say all this? Didn't feel that way in the offseason? Didn't feel that way in the 3 previous games?

Like you guys are having epiphanies now or something.

I know, worthless thread, but I wanted to say it.

All Yao needs is another game to play. The guy averages 20 and 10. 8 point nights are the exception. 20 and 10 is the average/norm.

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Its been two straight games but yes, we need to move on

3. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Yao needs us to stop thinking he's the best center in history, because he's not.. he's not even the best center in the league. He's just a really good player who happens to be a little inconsistent.. that's the truth, he's a very good player, I like watching him when he's on, but he frequently has horrible games in which he essentially destroys our team's chances of winning (see: missing the last 9 straight shots in a game against the world champs)

that's the thing, when he misses 4 straight, pull him out, don't keep him out there to be embarrassed/humiliated.. forget "regaining confidence", think "winning games"..

4. ibm

ibm Member

what have been said about yao by all of us here since last night is nothing new, at least not in the sports world. it happened in the past, it happens now, and will happen again in the future. could happen to any player (or coach).

5. killer instinct

Rockets need better fans......

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Can we please stop making Yao thread after another Yao thread. It is getting ugly and I am tired of that.

On the 1st page there are 5 threads about Yao. Not enough? Sure, he played bad but what? It is not the end of the world.

Chill out

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

So true.

8. EssTooKayTD

I figured we didn't have enough, I even tried to title it similarly to the others. And our message is the same..."chill out."

9. ibm

ibm Member

yao himself thinks he's the best center in history? where did you get that valuable piece of confidential information?

and "he frequently has horrible games in which he essentially destroys our team's chances of winning"????? wow. i agree. one bad game out of 4 games is 25%, that qualifies as "frequently", doesn't it? some say it's 2 games in a row, so it's 50%. let's look for yao to destroy our chances at that rate for the remainder of the season.

and when yao misses 4 shots in a row, pull him out. how brilliant. leave those rockets who have missed n times in a row (routinely, or not) on the floor. put in our wonderful backup centers who are 6'9 and watch them battle the 7-footers of the opponents and expect our backups to hit n times in a row. what a brilliant strategy, you should at least be hired by morey to be amongst adelman's top aids.

10. Asian Sensation

You're just adding fuel to the fire by starting a new thread. Since you made this thread I've said it before and I'll say it again. When Yao plays bad everything is BAD. 8 points is bad but at least make up for it by grabbing rebounds, playing better defense, not getting used and abused by Kendrick frickin Perkins, picking up stupid fouls and doing his best audition for a Sprite commercial by getting rimchecked with nobody around. :eek:

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who aren't satisfied with horrible performances by their best players
    who know the difference between playing the NBA Champions and the Oklahoma Thunder
    who know its 41 years of tradition, not 6 years of tradition
    who aren't blind
    who know where Houston is on a map

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Wherever Yao ranks in the pantheon of great centers it's pretty clear that this Rockets team is going to be reliant on him to be the centerpiece of the offense. With that in mind it doesn't make sense to bench Yao this early in the season. He needs to stay out there, get his minutes and get his rhythm back. And all of the big three need practice/minutes with each other.

13. DPballer

DPballer Member

If you don't think Yao's performance raises a giant red flag for a possible Rockets vs Celtics Finals matchup, you're in denial.

This was no fluke. Tom Thibodeau knows exactly how to stop Yao, and he has the personnel to do it. Smaller but stronger, athletic bigs that can play defense, rebound, and shoot the midrange jumper are Yao's weakness, and everyone saw it last night.

I'm sure you will tell me how dumb I am when Yao explodes on the Blazers. "See look! It was just one game!" Yeah, except Portland != Boston. What if more teams emulate what Boston did last night? Will Adelman be smart enough to stop running the offense around Yao if that happens?

Yao reminds me of the Phoenix Suns team the last few years. They dominate in the regular season and put up monster numbers, but when the going gets tough against strong, disciplined, defensive teams, they fall apart. Yao has a lot to prove.

14. Coob5

Coob5 Member

I agree, people on these boards overreact about one regular season game. If this was the post-season that it would be different. It is the freakin 3rd game of the season. Yao will prove the haters wrong in the games to come.

15. ibm

ibm Member

valid points. but you're overstating the celts a little bit. at their full strength, they got us by 4 pts. and we still have 78 regular season games and many playoff games to go through before we meet them in the finals.

16. EssTooKayTD

A programmer in the house? Portland != Boston, haha.

I'm not delusional enough to say that if Yao has a good game against the Blazers it's the same deal. I do realize that Tom Thibs knows Yao's weaknesses. I'm also willing to bet, almost anyone who is in the NBA and does any kind of scouting whatsoever, knows Yao's weaknesses. Definitely nothing new here. Fronting Yao is nothing new. Putting faster guys, bigs that can shoot on Yao is nothing new.

Although players like Boozer and Okur are nightmare mismatches for Yao, Perkins most certainly is not. Perkins was hitting at a high percentage. I'd put money down that that is the exception, not the norm. I also don't think Yao being so ineffective against him is the norm either.

I'd also put money that if the Rockets were to play Boston in a series of 7 games, that Yao would average the same type of performance.

That's all I'm really saying.

17. EssTooKayTD

Well, KG and Pierce did have an off nights. 6 for 15, and 5 for 15 respectively. We are conveniently dismissing that it was only Allen that went off on us. Oh, and Perkins hahaha.

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I dont care that he had a bad game becasue even great players have them. But what really got me mad was the two miss dunks he had. I mean at 7'6 you shouldn't miss a wide open dunk he don't even have to jump that high.

19. EssTooKayTD

I think that's part of the problem. It's obvious he can't jump very high. He blocks shots via what coordination he does have and timing. When he does dunk, he's not exactly skying. His dunks look like he skips and then throws it in.

It definitely is weird to see him get hung by the rim so bad though. Usually if he got hung in the past, he was fouled, in a hurry, whatever. This time...he just got stuffed by the rim. I know he'll bounce back, and I hope when we play them again he'll play much better. I'm assuming we play them once more in Boston.

20. DPballer

DPballer Member

I think we will beat Boston if Battier and Mutombo are playing, but I don't see Yao playing a big factor in these wins. The worst thing we can do against Boston is play Yao extended minutes. This was no anomaly. His poor performance was a direct result of the Celtics gameplan on him. He's just not a good matchup against them. We can kill ourselves and continue to expose Yao and embarrass him out there, or we could go with the more favorable matchup and play Deke more and perhaps Dorsey once he starts getting playing time. Landry's/Scola's midrange game would force their bigs to leave the paint as well.

And when Yao is on the court, we shouldn't necessarily be treating him as the #1 option unless it's actually working. He's clearly being frustrated by the smaller, peskier Boston big guys. We would be wise to bring Yao out of the paint and punish them with T-Mac and Artest. We should really be able to expose Ray Allen on offense. Taking Yao out of the paint opens more room for cutters.