1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's 2007 Summer Schedule

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Mar 28, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

CBA has just announced a 22-men roster for the men basketball national team, out of which the final team will be picked for 2008 Olympics.

Yao Ming is on the roster.

And they also announced the plan for this summer, with lots of overseas tournaments, so as to train and gel this team, with an average age of 23, and average height of 6ft 7 in (2 meters) to be prepared for 2008 Olympics.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2007-03-28/11002832150.shtml

It is confirmed that Yao Ming will rejoin the national team in July, and will play

• in the NBA Summer League in USA in July
    • in the 3rd FIBA Stankovic Continental Cup in Hangzhou and Zhengdu, China July 28 ~ August 2 featuring Angola, Slovenia, Venezuela, New Zealand and China
    • In an European trip in August (There will be at least 2 4-Nation tournaments during this trip; one in Germany, one in Turkey. A 3rd tournament is being lined up in Spain.
    • As to the October tournaments in China (with CSKA Moscow of Russia, Benetton Treviso of Italy and Sydney Kings), Yao Ming most probably will skip as the new NBA season will begin by then.
    What do you guys think ? Is it advisable/wise for Yao Ming to substitute rest and training in the summer to play through such a hectic schedule for the new NBA season ?

2. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

:( I wanted Yao to train with Hakeem during the summer :(

3. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Yeah, me too! :(

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

China doesn't have to qualify for the Olympics this year correct?

And VSpan doesn't either, correct? Cause his team won the FIBA Basketball Championship?

He better not get hurt. He better see limited time. It's not like China's going to medal. :p

5. pryuen

As the host country, China does not have to qualify for the 2008 Olympics, but I think Greece needs to qualify for 2008 Olympics. Greece won the 2nd FIBA Continental Championship in China (which was irrelevant to qualifying for Olympics), but they lost in the 2006 World Championship to Spain. So Spain automatically qualifies as World Champion for the 2008 Olympics, but not Greece.

So VSpan has to play for Greece in the European Championship this summer to qualify for 2008 Olympics.

6. ShakeYoHipsYao

Uh... Why?

7. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

We'll see, my friend, we'll see. ;)

From Pryuen's link, the article did mention that CBA Official, Hu, doubted the actual date Yao would join his CNT teammates since the Rockets are probably going deep this playoff. And he also mentioned that Yao needs time to rest.

Considering that our season ends in June this year, in addition to the celebration events, Yao may not have good rest until end of July. :D I would say Yao should just join his CNT teammates for practices and skip all those Summer League games. He would not learn much from his Summer League opponents and it also leaves a precious sport for his teammates to learn and develop.

He should play in those European games though provided that he will be playing against their A teams.

8. pryuen

Well I guess you're right that his play minutes should be minimal or even DNP for the Summer League to leave the chance for his team mates to learn and develop.

As to the European tour, since Eurobasket 2007 (i.e. European Championship) will be held in Spain from September 3 ~ 16, alot of the European countries will be participating in these 4-nations tournaments in July/August so as to serve as warm-up/team gelling for the Eurobasket 2007, and therefore the teams that China will meet and play in those German and Turkish tournaments are very likely the A teams of the respective participating European countries.

9. FFz

FFz Member

so the chinese national team is going to be in the NBA summer league?

10. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I don't know about yall but I want Yao to play every possible bastketball game out there until he can't play no more.

That just makes sense to me!

11. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Lol my exact thought

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

yep.

and Yao playing in the summer league? Bunch morons, CBA officials. I really love to see China do well in the 08 olympics, but this is not type of planning that will make them do well.

Have Yao rest well, let young puppies play in the summer league. Hire Dream as the assitant coach to coach Yao and Yi. Then we are talking about medals.

13. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

players must really spent time playing together to find their on-court chemistry.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

By having Yao playin the Summer league a year before the 08 Olympics? What China need is Quality games. Let inexperienced players play in the summer league. Hire good coach to train hard. That's the key. China has been doing this year over year, improvements hardly seen.

15. smokefly

smokefly Member

lol. All-star Yao playing in the NBA Summer League...

16. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Wtf yao playing in the summer league? If that happens it will be so ridiculous. :rolleyes:

17. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

Same old craps...who cares anymore ! As much as i want Yao to stay here , get some rest and hone his skills by playing with other NBA players, i know it ain't gonna happen !

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

the Euro and FIBA trips I don't mind - Yao Ming is an <b> international </b> baller after all, not just an NBA star.

However, I find it questionable that he's going to play in the summer league where people like John Lucas III can average 28 points a game.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm confident that the line on Yao playing in the NBA Summer League was simply an ill-informed assumption. The European trip sounds like some worthwhile games. If he plays in the Continental Cup, I doubt he'll have to work very hard at all.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yao's not going to play in the summer league. Just misinformation.