1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Why isn't Patrick Ewing working for Knicks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Yao Ming: Why isn't Patrick Ewing working for Knicks?

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:00 AM

Count Yao Ming among those who don't understand why Patrick Ewing isn't working for the Knicks.

"It's hard to believe," Yao said. "But hey, Hakeem (Olajuwon) doesn't work for the Rockets right now. He taught me some things over the summer. But it's not like Patrick because Patrick wants to be a coach."

Yao and Ewing worked closely together for three seasons in Houston. Yao credits Ewing and Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau for helping his develop into one of the NBA's elite big men.

"Patrick was able to teach me a lot," Yao says. "He's been very good for my career."

Ewing, who is an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic, has also worked for Washington, Houston and NBA TV since retiring as a player. He has expressed a desire to return to the Knicks, but the club has never offered him a coaching position.

When asked if Eddy Curry could benefit from working with Ewing, Yao said: "Look at me. He helped me. Look at Dwight Howard and the all the improvement he's made."

2. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

Yao might receive some backlash by his comments.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nah. I mean, what else is he supposed to say? It's against basketball etiquette to say anything otherwise.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ewing is better off sticking with a Van Gundy and the most dominant force since Yao...

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

a few thoughs:

1. The author of this article, Frank Isola, is a NY reporter and frequent critic of the Knicks (who isn't nowadays, though?). I think his intention is to further criticize the Knicks for failing to hire a guy loved by Knicks fans who he thinks may be be able to help Eddy Curry more than the current staff.

2. I also think Pat is better off in Orlando rather than being stuck on that sinking ship. Dwight Howard is probably a more eager student than Eddy Curry, too.

3. I've often heard that Tom Thibodeau did far more detailed work with Yao than Ewing (who taught him more about general mental approaches to the game rather than techniques and tactics... I also doesn't think he sounds like a great communicator on TV), so it's interesting to hear Yao praise Ewing so openly. It's good to hear that Ewing deserves some credit.

4. I don't know if Yao is just trying to be nice or not. Doesn't sound like it. He went over and beyond what is required for being polite. Besides, what he said can well be construed as taking a shot at NY management. It's the kind of stuff that might get a "Yao Ming is a good player but should not talk about our business, which he knows nothing about" response from Isiah.

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with what Yao said. It is a league-wide consensus that the Knick management is terrible and he could take as all the shots he wants at them. It's not like he's saying anything false or ill-spirited. If his comments were misconstrued then so be it.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

TheFreak: Why isn't Rudy T. working for Rockets?

8. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

The celtics management was terrible until the kevin garnett trade

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lakers are holding him hostage. They know that if they let him go, he'll come back to coach Houston to another title or TWO.

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

he could have not done it without a friend in Minnesota. It was a inside-job robbery now that McHale is going to join Celts.

11. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

he signed that huge deal witht he lakers soem time agao and is still in it.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure he signed a 2 year "consulting" contract when he left. That would mean he is no longer employed by the Lakers. He's director of scouting for USA basketball or something, I think.

13. Bustnani

Bustnani Member

Lazy Fat Eddy Curry or athletic freak Dwight Howard, who would you rather coach? Yao and Howard will make Ewing look better as a coach then he should be.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudy T is a scout for the Lakers.
    Hmm, Andrew Bynum sure turned out ok.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I would guess because Les doesn't want him back. I can hear it now:

Rudy T: "I am interested in coming back to the Rockets."
    Les: "Can you scout us some players that will make us into the Suns by next season"
    Rudy T: "probably not Les but I think you might be underestimating the heart of a Champion"
    Les: "The what? Heart of a who?"
    Rudy T: *click* pours another glass of scotch