1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carayip, Feb 1, 2003.

1. carayip

carayip Member

This interview is posted before (with my translation) but this is the official transcript. Check it out to see if I have made any mistakes! :p

http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/yao_confcall_030131.html

Tall Tales: Yao Ming Conference Call, Jan. 31, 2003

Houston Rockets rookie Yao Ming recently had a candid conference call with 23 members of the Chinese media in Mandarin. Here's what Yao had to say about being a starter in the All-Star Game, hitting the rookie wall, and his passion for video games.

Q: In the past, some players had given up their All-Star Game starting positions to other star players -- like Tim Hardaway, who gave up his starting position to Magic Johnson in 1992. Have you ever thought about giving up your starting position to Shaquille O’ Neal?
    Yao: Do you guys want me to give it up?

Q: Of course we want you to play. But what do you think about that?
    Yao: This is a rare chance that I cannot give up. You have to understand that there are some differences between the starting center and the back-up center in the NBA. A good center needs strength and skills, and all of you can see for yourself which of the two centers is better.

Q: It is now the halfway point of the NBA regular season and your recent performance is not as good as when you just entered the NBA. What happened?
    Yao: First, I am a rookie. It is normal for a rookie to encounter such a problem, and it is also my first time having such a problem. Sometimes even myself, I don’t know the exact reason. What I can say is that I could not find my rhythm and feel on the court. Also, maybe I have not played against so many strong players before. Please keep on watching me play. This is my first NBA season, and I think it is normal to face such problems.

Q: What do you want to do at the NBA All-Star Game? Who do you want to meet? What do you want to eat? Which player do you want to play against the most?
    Yao: Maybe those people I don’t want to meet with in Atlanta are the media. With so many media, I can imagine the scene like a roomful of bees homing in on the honeycomb. But that is what I have to face. Of course, I am just joking. There is no one that I want to meet especially. Many NBA stars will be at the NBA All-Star, and it is very good for me to meet them all there.

Q: You have been playing in the NBA for a while, what are the differences between playing in the NBA and in China? What is your most challenging experience?
    Yao: Playing in the NBA is more challenging to me. It is a matter of testing your skills, so I am not going to avoid that. In China, I scored easily with my height and skills, without having to fully use or exploit my skills to the fullest like what I do now in the NBA. In the NBA, the intensity of the game is not just the physical play but also the mental play. You have to read the game in any given moment, and study your opponent and then apply your skills accordingly. These were not my consideration when playing in China or Asia.

--Yao, on if he'd like to play for any other NBA teams
    Q: Recently your playing time has been shortened, does that mean you are exhausted or need further improvement?
    Yao: This is very obvious. My body condition was not at its best even when I was playing in China. Suffice it to say I am not in my best condition. But I believe the real reason is that after watching my past performances, the teams change the way they play defense on me. They have been rough on me (laugh), so I am facing the real NBA defense now.

Q: I heard there was an in-depth discussion between you and other coaches, including Rudy, regarding hitting the rookie wall, is that correct?
    Yao: Rudy did, so did Steve (Francis). He (Francis) said he had four fights in his rookie season, I said it happened in my fifth CBA season. He asked if I received a suspension, I said no (big laugh). Rudy (Tomjonovich) told me that in his playing days, he needed to wake up early in the morning to catch a flight, and in economy class, just like a regular passenger. It was very cold, but they still play ball.

Q: First of all, we have to congratulate you for being selected as the NBA All-Star Game starting center. It is a great honor for every player. However, those who are selected to play at the All-Star Game will lose their chance to rest. Like Michael Jordan, he prefers to have a week of rest rather than play at the All-Star Game. You have been playing since last summer and that is why I want to ask whether playing at the All-Star Game will affect your performance in the second half of the season?
    Yao: Just like what you said, it is a great honor for those players who have been selected to play at the All-Star Game. I really want to play at the All-Star Game, but I also need a week's time to get some rest. I must make a choice and just go with it. I just have to play one game that week, and it will be as good a week for me as any to take a rest when compared with playing three games within one week.

Q: Did your coach and teammates give you a few pointers on how to deal with the many activities during All-Star?
    Yao: What they told me is to have fun at the NBA All-Star and just enjoy it. They consider the All-Star Game as a kind of entertainment and not a regular game. They told me that I just have to enjoy it.

Q: I want to ask a question about your career in the long-term. Assuming that after four years, your contract with the Houston Rockets ended. Which team do you want to join besides the Rockets?
    Yao: It is difficult to answer.

Q: Assuming that there are three teams: the first team is able to offer you $10 million to $15 million as salary; the second team can’t offer you very good salary, but they can promise that you will be the key player on the team and give you the chance to be the MVP; the third team will not be able to offer you good salary and they can’t let you be the key player, but they are strong enough to be the NBA champion. Which team will you pick?
    Yao: I think it is not a good time for you to ask me this question. I am happy with the Rockets, and I have never thought about joining another team.

Q: It is your first season in the NBA and you are playing well. Is there still a lot of pressure on you?
    Yao: I have been facing huge pressure since I was selected as the No.1 pick at the NBA draft, and that is why I don’t mind if there are more and more pressure being put on me.

Q: Do you have any idol in the NBA?
    Yao: Hakeem Olajuwon.

Q: You signed a $18 million contract after being the No.1 pick at the NBA draft. How are you going to spend the money?
    Yao: I have dreamed of a lot of things, but in the end it is not just the money, it is the real things that I can get. I like the latest, up-and-coming things like computer and music CDs. What they have given me is the spiritual happiness, but not the numbers (money).

Q: It seems that you have brought a lot of video games in the US, is that true?
    Yao: Yes and they cost about USD $20 each.

Q: Everyone knows that you are excellent in playing video games among the basketball players in China. Do you think you can be one of the best video game players among the NBA players?
    Yao: I play a lot of video games, but they are different from what other NBA players play. I have seen my teammates played, too, but their styles are different.

Q: We heard Bo Outlaw is one of the best video game players in the league, do you want to play against him?
    Yao: (Laughs) OK, can you help set that up for me?

Q: After this season, do you have plans to have a Yao Ming Tour in China or Asia?
    Yao: How can I play by myself? (Laughs)

Q: You can team up with other players.
    Yao: They will not listen to me because I’m just a rookie (Laughs). But I think that the most important thing -- what I need most during the offseason -- is rest.

Q: Can you tell us something about your current life?
    Yao: My daily routine revolves around the training center and home -- that is my life (Laughs). And there is a jeep to take me between these two points.

Q: What will you do when you are having bad games?
    Yao: Try to relax as much as possible. Eat and sleep regularly.

Q: Anything else besides sleep and eat?
    Yao: Listen to music and read books. My friends brought me some books recently, so I will read them when I have time.

Q: Have you thought about how minutes you want to play in the All-Star Game?
    Yao: I am not sure. This is just my first All-Star Game.

Q: Do you think O’ Neal will have more play time than you at the All-Star Game?
    Yao: I really don’t know. It’s just like, how will you know the taste of the Szechuan spicy dish before eating it?

Q: You will be seen in a TV ad for China Unicom soon. Do you have any preference for selecting product endorsement.
    Yao: I prefer the ads to be creative and fresh. Hopefully, the products I endorse are hi-tech and trendy.

2. chenyg

chenyg Member

I have to say, some of the questions are just plain dumb. Take example, "how many minutes would you get in the all star game" then "how many minutes would Shaq get". I feel like watching Dumb and Dumber, the Sequel. And it's not like this is the first time Yao's being asked of these questions. I admire Yao's patience but I still feel bad for the big guy. He really deserves our love and respect.

Go Yao!!!:)

3. titaniumws

titaniumws Member

i'm glad he did'nt give up his starting position to shaq... would anyone in their right mind give it up to someone who just made fun of you??:rolleyes:

4. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Hakeem is his idol? Cool!
    :D

5. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

"I am happy with the Rockets" I hope he is still saying that in 4 years. give him the ball.:D