1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jboslett, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jboslett

jboslett Member

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/lifestyle-features/id.1030/title./p.1

Kind of an interesting read. Surprised to find it where I found it, on a hip hop website. Thought I'd share

It’s not that Yao Ming doesn’t deserve to start in the February 17 NBA All-Star Game. With 22 points a night, nearly 11 rebounds and all sorts of havoc in the paint, the five-year vet should most definitely be in New Orleans with K.G., A.I. and the rest. But for Yao to have almost 1.3 million votes compared to fellow Western Conference centers Amare Stoudemire, Marcus Camby and Eric Dampier’s combined 1.2 million is just bananas! Of course, all the ballot stuffing for the Chinese legend is nothing new.

Yao’s had his countrymen’s full attention since his first growth spurt. That his Houston Rockets are playing pretty well right now and his native land is making its final preparations for the planet’s biggest sporting event, the 2008 Summer Games, only makes the spotlight on the 7-6, 310 pounder seem even brighter these days. Here the 27-year-old Yao spreads some Asian wisdom on being adored by millions, defended by five and married to one.

HipHopDX: Man, you’re swamped on the court and off of it...
    Yao Ming: I appreciate [that] people care about me and watch me and support me. That’s a good feeling, you know? That’s a really good feeling. Hopefully, that can continue. I will keep on working hard.

DX: On the court, you’re the center of attention for opponents, too...
    YM: When you play to a [certain] level, you’re going to get double-teamed and triple-teamed—as soon as you catch the ball. They’re coming, just like we do to another team. We will not let Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett or someone of that level catch the ball and leave our teammate to guard on him. We will double-team, too. I’m not frustrated. When I see them coming, I know my next move is to find an open teammate and move the ball out. Or feel the double-team before they’re coming. That’s the experience I’ve learned the last two years when they started double-teaming harder and harder. I do get frustrated with how sometimes I make the wrong decision.

DX: It must feel good having to play Kevin Garnett just twice now?
    YM: That’s not just good for us. That’s good for all of the Western Conference. For us, he’s a very tough match-up…

DX: What other centers are a handful for you?
    YM: So many people ask that same question. I would say since Shaq moved to the East, so many centers are on the same level. Some guys like Tim Duncan play with their back to the basket more. Kevin Garnett plays more facing the basket. Right now, they really don’t have that many real centers. It’s really a mix of players that play the 4 and 5 position. There’s not much players like me, Shaq and [Zydrunas] Ilgauskas that only play center. Eddie Curry [too]. When you ask me about centers, it could be hard because they don’t have that many centers left. It’s really a mix of players—and it’s not just the 4 and 5; some players are 1 and 2 or 1, 2 and 3. [These guys that mix] They get more chances. They get more opportunities. When you can play two different positions, obviously, you have more advantage. When you play against different types of opponents, you can make your own choice. When you play against a guy that’s stronger than you, you can go outside and then penetrate to the middle. Not just your back to the basket and try to pound it inside.

DX: This is your first year with head coach Rick Adelman. What are your early thoughts about him?
    YM: He’s a [player's coach]. He’s really good for listening to players and what they want. He didn’t just move his experience from the Sacramento Kings to Houston; he’s been changing. "Okay, I got success at Sacramento. I’m going to move 100% [of that] to the Houston Rockets." No, he didn’t do that. During the training camp, he let us play for free and he learned who could do what. Like McGrady, people know he can penetrate, he can shoot, he can defense. [Adelman] still wanted to learn what’s the best for him. And what’s the best for me. With the rest of the guys, he learned each one. And then, everybody feels comfortable.

DX: Yao, your overall numbers are great. But if there was one area you’d like to improve upon, where would that be?
    YM: I want to cut down turnovers. That’s a big part of it. That’s been very frustrating my last two years. My turnover rate is going straight up like the elevators. Of course, my scoring is going up. I still want to keep the turnovers down.

DX: As a big man, how are you able to shoot nearly 87% from the free-throw line?
    YM: Because I play so much inside, there’s going to be a lot of fouls. Sometimes [other teams] try to save even one point and they put me on the free-throw line. I still make it, which will be good for our team. In the last minutes of the game, I can play out there. Sometimes in the last minute on the court, people put their worst free-throw shooter out [of the game] to make sure that doesn’t happen. I still can help my teammates in the last minutes. How do I make them? We keep training. We keep practicing that since we played basketball. My Chinese coach says that’s free points; you have no reason to give up.

Page 2

DX: When Tracy McGrady is injured, a lot of pressure falls onto your shoulders. How do you handle it?
    YM: I do have that pressure. But that’s human nature. When you have a man down, particularly one like Tracy McGrady, you would feel pressure. The problem is handling the pressure. Obviously, last night I didn’t do well. I’ll do better the next game. Every important game comes with great pressure. You can’t say, I want to play in the NBA Finals but I don’t want the pressure. That’s impossible. Those important games cause a lot of people to concentrate on it. I would be honest and say, I have pressure but I know how to handle it. If you have pressure, you need to face it.

DX: Do you have a pre-game ritual?
    YM: Before I go to the court, I’m always repeating, “Today I’m facing…” Like last night with Stoudemire, I know he’s very athletic. He’s got a jump-shot outside. They’re going to put me in a lot of pick-and-rolls. Or like the next game against Dallas, I’ve already watched the film. It’ll be Eric Dampier. Maybe a lil’ bit of Dirk Nowitzki. There are mixed match-ups sometimes. I have to know what is my best game to try and beat them, like running down the court and trying to make them foul. Put them into foul trouble and make the free-throws.

DX: Yao, what exactly does it mean to have the Olympics coming to your country?
    YM: That was a big deal for us, for my country. Our put a lot of passion, energy into preparing for these games. When the games is closer and closer, everyone cannot wait until the people come to China and [we can say], We are ready for you. We will give you feelings like you were just at home. That will be one of the best Olympics in history.

DX: You recently got married. How has that been?
    YM: That’s a big step for me—even though I stayed with my wife for seven years already. The last couple of years before marriage we feel just like marriage even though we didn’t make that step. It just feel that way. After that, I still feel a lil’ bit different [now]. When I drive in the middle of the night, I know to slow down a lil’ bit. It’s not big changes; just small change. Hey, you’re a married man now. You need to slow down, calm down a little bit. That’s not meaning you’re losing passion; just know that you need to take care of people.

DX: Any advice for guys about to walk down the aisle?
    YM: I don’t have too much experience. I’ve only been married three, not four, months yet.

DX: Overall, what are your thoughts about American culture?
    YM: I can’t give you an answer right now. Actually, I’m getting used to it. I can’t say that I like it or love it. I still miss home a lot. If you were to ask me a choice, I still would like home better. I’m getting used to [America]. I like the people here. They’re very friendly, people in my neighborhood, people in Houston.

DX: What’s this fascination you have with war history?
    YM: I like war history. Well, for boys, they like to watch war movies. They like ships and aircrafts and soldiers. I don’t know what’s so interesting [to me] about history. When I was in high school, I enjoyed listening to stories. You can learn a lot of experience from that. Maybe you don’t be that big [and powerful] and lead a whole country, but you can learn something. How they handle the pressure. Don’t say I like war. I like war stories.

DX: Besides war history, what else do you enjoy?
    YM: Video games. A lot of NBA players like them, but I’m a lil’ bit different: I play the PC games. I play a lil’ bit of Playstation. I like swimming. Before I played basketball, I tried out for the water polo team. They kicked me out and said I was too slow: “Sorry, you can’t make it.” I went and tried out for basketball. This was a long time ago, seven or eight years ago, I would say in the summer. Children like pools.

DX: What about movies?
    YM: This summer my favorite movie was Transformers. I liked Transformers when I was little. A couple of years ago, there was a metal [toy] of the leader (Optimus Prime). You watched the movie? A couple of parts were frustrating. Megatron should have been a gun. Starscreen should be a F-14. It’s not a F-22! Bumblebee was the biggest mistake. He is a Beetle, not a Chevrolet!

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

man, how old is this article?

3. jboslett

jboslett Member

February 17, 2008. So what, 1 day?

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

LOL. Yao just replaced Arena as the biggest nerd in the NBA, literally.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The best part of this article.. is the fact that he was complaining that the transformers weren't correct in the movie! LOL I was the same way.

Thanks for sharing, I don't think we had seen that one here before.

Obviously since he was talking about playing Amare it was after they had played the Suns early in the season after Tmac was hurt.

6. devin23

devin23 Member

Woa from basketball player to p*rn stars, they really do interview just about anybody...

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

The interview part was pretty good, but the introduction seemed amateurish. They didn't even get his experience right (it's 6 years, not 5).

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And the "Chinese ballot-box stuffing" attitude is getting real old.

Even ESPN, a couple weeks ago, or maybe it was TNT, when posting the vote totals, just HAD to mention the Chinese vote, as if to apologize for the starting center who averages only 22 and 10 and 2 blocks (while adjusting to a new coach at that).

On the other hand, Yao's style isn't suited for the run-and-gun All Star game.

9. wink2moochie07

I personally think Yao Ming will get his due respect soon..I think the NBA itself finds it hard to praise players not North American or from US Colonies. I remember the media writing off Dirk early on and finally his game talked louder than his heritage. People can no longer look at Yao as a fluke, 7 years of defining a position isnt a fluke...its skill.

10. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

The article maybe dated February 17. But the interview was done November 18, which was at least 3 months ago. :rolleyes:

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Don't disrespect because someone other than you found it... not his fault the journalist is slow.

12. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

yao kiks ass. im gonna start calling him ming the merciless

13. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Hey, I'm not trying to disrespect the OP. I'm just pointing out the FACT.

Besides, some of the contents of the interview, particularly the part about he is starting to drive slower and beware of his responsibility to his family after he married had been talked about in quite a few interviews in the Chinese articles/interviews.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

In general, :rolleyes: = disrespect...and I know people on this board have told you that before.

15. tsunami

tsunami Member

public people have to talk the same **** repeatedly, otherwise there is nothing to say, no so much new material.

16. bbjai

bbjai Member

its still new information
    I found it to be clearer then any Chinese article that I've read from Yao Ming and thats probably because english is my native language. But either way I don't think it was needed to point out the date. Unless he really is posting a interview that is rehashing alot of stuff.

17. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Yaos responses in this interview are almost identical to the ones i read in the last slam mag i read. the slam mag article was not a straight up interview though. the talk of him liking war stories was in the slam article too. in the article they said he was conversating to one of the security personnel on the reebok commercial set.

this interview seems a little fishy to me.... :rolleyes:

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Good grief, pryuen.

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

lol

The Transformers Robots in Disguise -

Yao is actually Optimus Prime. How else does he grow so big.

20. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Nice. Thanks for translating. Yao's said a lot of this stuff before but its good to see the interview.