1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming doing his Les Alexander

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As most of you know, Yao Ming is now running his old Chinese basketball club, which had fallen on hard times since his departure. I've curious as to how he, and his team of advisors, are going to apply what they learned in the NBA to the running of a team in a club in a lower level foreign league.

Here are some of the moves Yao has made while taking over the basketball operations for the Shanghai Sharks:

- Having originally intended to purchase the club for $2 million (U.S.), Yao instead entered into a 5 year "management agreement" that allowed him to take over the operations of the team (with the responsiblity to fund such operations) without the transfer of ownership. This was done because there were other bidders for the team who would have outbid Yao-- the team was government owned property and it would be hard legally selling it to him for $2 million when others would have offered more.

- After taking control of the team, the first major announcement Yao made was the firing of the head coach, who, by the way, was Yao's first pro coach at the junior team level and the head coach when Yao and the team won a CBA championship. The replacement was Bob Donewald Jr. a youngish former NBA assistant who is a 2nd generation basketball coach. Donewald was brought in to develop younger player and tigtent the D.

The old coach was ostensibly relieved of his duty due to health issues, and will be paid the same salary only to work as a "senior consultant."

- The next thing that happened was that the new management apparently pissed off the whole roster, most of all Liu Wei, the team's star PG and Yao's old teammate, over communications and salary issues. Liu was apparently upset that Yao referred him to his managmeent team regarding salary discussions rather than talking with him directly. Liu made a trade demand, but was convinced to stay after being talked down after speaking directly with Yao and through mediation effort of city officials.

- On the foregin players front (each team is allowed 2 of them, and one more from an Asian country), the team worked to add Americans Tim Pickett and Olumudie Oyiedeji (sp?), each has had success in the CBA in past years. However, once made public, this players' last CBA team, who had "first dibs" on resigning them, decided to bring them back.

- The Sharks settled on ex-Rocket John Lucas III and 300 lb former Augusta State center Garrett Siler as their two foreign player. They added Jordan's Zaid Abbas, a 6'8'' forward as their Asian foreign player. In addition, Johnny Yan, a 33 year old PG from Taiwan and a former boyband member, who doesn't count as "foreign" in the CBA (because he is from Taiwan, not because of the boyband thing) was added. Apparently Yan was signed to provide a veteran presence, and the fact that he's expected to be popular among the many Taiwanese businessmen in Shanghi does not hurt.

Garrett Siler, by the way, was the 1st round pick (5th overall) by the Utah Flash in the DLeague draft. I liked watching the guy play in the Summer League, where he shot nearly 80% from the field (yes, the field). I think he also shot close to that from the field in college. Huge guy-- 6'11', nearly 300 lbs with long arms that allows him to dunk without jumping much. Atheletic for his size. The guy was beasting Joey Dorsey in the Summer League.

It's kind of an interesting to see the clash of cultures and the transformation of Yao's view of basketball operations.

From a guy who was shocked at the fact that teammates could get traded in the NBA, Yao has come a long way now that he's firing his old coach. The move, to me, seems straight out of the Les Alexander playbook (reminds me of Rudy T's firing... and wasn't JVG offered a "consultant" job, too?)

It's also interesting how an effort to reform even a floundering team met with resistance. Liu Wei could not understand when Yao wanted to separate business from the personal. Anyhow, I am wondering how NBA style managemnt (and maybe even "moneyball"?) translates to China.

1 person likes this.
  2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

nice piece. thx for sharing.

3. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Very interesting what Yao does off the court, thanks.

4. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I wonder if he will pull a Jordan after he retires and starts playing for them?

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

With John Lucas III there they really don't need Yao's friend anyways. I seen both of them play and John is a way better player then he is. But I'm surprise John decided to play in china instead one of the top Euro leagues. He's certainly good enough to do so.

6. rockets119

rockets119 Member

man who cares about what yao ming is doing in china
    he should be studying films and figure out how to limit his turnovers and not be a liability defensivly all the time
    this is sad, all this business crap during the day and he spend the rest of his time playing video games
    i mean, he has plenty of time for these things later on when he retires
    anyways, don't expect a improved yao ming next year if he even returns

1 person likes this.
  7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Interesting post, Carl Herrera. You put some good effort and thought into that. I don't have much to add myself but I did laugh at the boy band comment.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

You disgust me.

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Wow, I didn't know Yao was doing all of this. Wasn't he in Houston sitting behind the players bench jsut a few games ago? What a busy man.

10. Carl Herrera

Yao had a team of folks doing it. The CBA team is no Houston Rockets, but it's not such small operation that Yao had to personally scout players and do everything else.

Also, new team management mentioned that they will strive to use more advanced statistical analysis in their operation. So, it would seem that they might be trying to be "minor-league Moreys."

Yao did do one thing personally though: John Lucas III said Yao personally called to recruit him for the Shanghai team. Luas said got a phone call from Yao saying "Hey John, this is Yao, wanna play for my team?" and thought "What team?" before Yao explained that he now runs the Shanghai Sharks.

I wonder if JL thought for a moment that Yao was calling to ask him to play for "his team" the Houston Rockets.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Yao is at hear a very matter of fact type of guy.

What you see of him in the press, is probably not indicative of him as a business man.

Any move the Rockets have made or are making, probably includes his blessings.

DD

12. albuster

albuster Member

Good luck Yao but please come back healthy and refreshed in the 2010 NBA season.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Weirdly, this reminds me of Revlon duty under Unocal standard. :grin:

Does China have similar law in that area?

14. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

are you serious right now?

15. rockets119

rockets119 Member

why not
    this topic is not generating any interest whatsoever
    consider the amount of the time OP put in to research, translate, and type it up in his own words. its quite sad
    oh, and most fo the replies are like not thoughtful at all
    ex "interesting..."
    "ahh.. cool"
    "nice story about yao" type of comments..

the forum seems to agree with me
    who the hell cares?

16. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Yeah, I would have to agree with you...He needs to be focused on the ROCKETS. Finding ways to improve his game and focusing on his current employer and how he is going to be a productive part of the team next season. Thanks to to OP for the info, but it is pretty sad to see he is being distracted...it's like he knows he won't be back so he is occupying his time with his new career. All he needs to do now is start a record label and start bustin some freestyles! :grin:

17. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I would like to piss on your shoes! :eek:

18. Carl Herrera

Who the hell cares about your replies to this topic? Not me, for one. I post what I found interesting, that's all. Not everyone has to share my interest. If you think the best use of your life is to post "who cares?!!!!?!!!?!" replies to everything you are not interested in, so be it. Have a nice life.

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

um I found it quite fascinating. As a Rockets fan you're not curious at all what Yao is doing with his time off? you sound like a huge douchebag sir!

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Not to mention that Yao is ahead of schedule in his rehab.