1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is honestly the nicest guy ever, anyone disagree

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SxAxTxAxNx666, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SxAxTxAxNx666

SxAxTxAxNx666 Member

Yao sues Coca-Cola China over picture on bottles

By AUDRA ANG, Associated Press Writer
    May 26, 2003
    BEIJING (AP) -- Basketball star Yao Ming is suing Coca-Cola's Chinese subsidiary in an effort to stop it from using his picture on commemorative bottles sold in his hometown of Shanghai.

According to Yao's Web site, he's seeking compensation of only 1 yuan (12 cents) for ``spiritual and economic losses'' and also wants Coca-Cola China to apologize in the Chinese media.

The lawsuit was filed Friday in Shanghai, where a court will decide this week whether to accept it, the Houston center's agent, Erik Zhang, said Monday.

What's new?

``The only purpose of this lawsuit is to protect Yao Ming's legal rights, his rights of image and name in particular,'' the Web site said. ``The amount of compensation is not a focus.''

Yao, who has an endorsement deal with soft-drink rival Pepsi, complained two weeks ago about Coke using his image and threatened possible legal action.

Coca-Cola China hasn't received court papers, but has asked to talk to Yao's representatives in hopes of settling the dispute ``in an amicable way,'' spokeswoman Brenda Lee said.

The bottles show Yao, San Antonio player Menk Bateer and Chinese player Guo Shiqiang in Chinese national team uniforms. Yao, the No. 1 draft pick in the NBA last year, and Bateer played for China last year in the Asian Games.

Coke says it has the right to show groups of at least three members of the Chinese national team under a sponsorship agreement.

``When the members are wearing the national team jerseys, they are not representing themselves, they are representing the team,'' Lee said from Shanghai. ``We just acted according to the legal right granted to us.''

The commemorative Coke bottles are part of a marketing campaign that will feature other members of China's national team in later designs, Lee said.

i honestly think this shows how great of a guy Yao is, I mean, he literally could sue Coke for millions and win but he knows he doesn't have to. He only wants them to stop using his picture, I dunno, maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I honestly love this guy and I think more players should be like him.

Alan

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.