1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Yao for ROY: anonymous poll this week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Mar 6, 2003.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heat06mar06,0,5365793.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Top rookie? Wrong year for Butler

By Ira Winderman
    Staff Writer
    Posted March 6 2003

MIAMI -- He leads the league in Rookie of the Month honors. He was among the hottest topics of discussion on draft night, when he slipped to the Heat at No. 10.

But when it comes to a shot at NBA Rookie of the Year, Caron Butler might as well be Melvin Ely, Marcus Haislip or Bostjan Nachbar.

Based on a non-scientific poll of potential voters, the three Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month honors garnered by the Heat small forward will not be cashed in for the bigger prize.

Just before the close of the regular season, 127 media voters will be asked to select the 2002-03 Rookie of the Year. Asked this week for their thoughts on the award, with anonymity offered for their responses, 31 potential voters replied to three e-mail questions.

The bottom line is the performances of Rockets center Yao Ming and Suns forward Amare Stoudemire, combined with the Heat's lack of exposure and 20-40 record, will leave the franchise without a Rookie of the Year through its 15 seasons.

In the informal poll, Yao, the No. 1 pick last June, received 58.1 percent of the vote. Stoudemire, selected No. 9 by the Suns, one spot ahead of Butler, received 25.8 percent. None of the respondents listed Butler on their ballot.

But that doesn't mean there isn't respect.

"If Butler had played like this during Mike Miller's rookie year," one national NBA writer said of when the then-Magic forward won Rookie of the Year in 2001, "Butler would have won the award easily, because he is complete."

The Heat and Cavaliers are the only teams without national television exposure this season. Stoudemire's Suns have been scheduled for 11 national appearances, Yao's Rockets for seven.

"It's not just Miami's record, it's the lack of exposure,'' said a Seattle-based writer. "I know we all can get NBA DirecTV, but games on ESPN, TNT, ABC carry added weight. Who didn't see the big Yao-Shaq matchup on ESPN a while back?"

Even should the Suns and Rockets fade from playoff contention in the competitive Western Conference, 74.2 percent of those polled said it would not elevate Butler in their deliberations.

"Probably not,'' said a Texas-based writer. "If you were to put Stoudemire or Yao on the Heat, I think they'd be a much better team. Don't get me wrong; Butler is a very, very good player."

However, 83.9 percent of those polled said they would not hold the Heat's overall struggles against the forward in their considerations.

"The Heat's poor record doesn't automatically rule out Butler, but I give a lot of credence to the importance of the games a player plays in,'' a Chicago-based writer said. "Miami doesn't play in any important games because of its record."

Said a New York-area writer, "Miami's record is insignificant, because they're not a tanking team that plays a pad-your-stats game."

Heat coach Pat Riley traditionally frowns on organizational campaigning for postseason awards. The Heat public-relations staff, however, has attempted to raise awareness of statistics that have Butler leading all rookies in scoring, minutes and steals, as well as among the leaders in assists, rebounding and free-throw percentage. A promotional push also is in the works.

"The thing that's really not in his favor is word-of-mouth hype, national TV exposure. Amare has the first, Yao the second," a New York-area writer said. "And no string of Rookie of the Month awards will change that when it comes to the national media, which probably doesn't even know there's a Rookie of the Month award."

That doesn't mean the potential electorate is not impressed.

"He has been the most consistent rookie, in my mind," a Florida-based writer said. "It's just that his spectacular moments haven't been as spectacular or as noticeable as those of Yao and Amare. But Caron has had the more even-keeled season.''

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@sun-sentinel.com.

Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

2. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

It might be a little too late in the season, but the newest threat to Yao winning ROY is Gooden. Since being traded and getting more time at his natural position, he's been doing very well. Will it be enough?

3. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

No way, maybe if Gooden didn't sit the bench, a wasted rooking on the edge of the wood, then he would be rookie of the year, but with the year going as it has, there's no way that neither YAO or Staudamire isn't ROY.

4. carayip

carayip Member

Gooden's season average is 12.8/6.6. But since his move to Orlando, he averaged 18.4/12.1. At this rate, his numbers at the end of season would be similar to Yao's and Stoudemire's. And because of the lack of competition in the East, Gooden's very likely to get the East ROMs for March and April which would give him 3 ROMs in total. Not to mention that Magic are certain to make the playoffs in the East while Rockets and Suns are less certain. So I say now Gooden is probably the favourite for ROY ahead of Yao and Stoudemire.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As impressive as Gooden's numbers are now.....the fact that he could NOT get those numbers in the WEST and that Yao and Stoudamire ARE Getting those numbers tells me that the numbers Gooden is getting in the East are fools gold. Fools gold in terms of the East not being nearly as strong as the West in the front court positions so Gooden's numbers are skewed a bit. What would Yao and Stoudamire do in the East? Probably a lot better. I am not saying Gooden is not a good player, he is doing awesome now with Orlando. But NO WAY is he overshadowing what Yao an Stoudamire are doing for the ENTIRE season in a tough Western Conference!

I think it is pretty clear that the voting will go like this:
    Yao, Stoudamire, Butler/Gooden

Chris

6. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Gooden may overtake Butler, but probably not YAO or Staudamire, mark my words,.....actually, don't mark my words, I'm not all that confident.:D

7. carayip

carayip Member

Gooden got West ROM for Nov with 15.1/6.4. He could compete in the West.

8. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Agreed, and I quote from a poster on espn board: "Yao would've been a ROY candidate on ANY team". Of cousre, Staudamire would do too.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, you're right. The problem came when they tried to move him to small forward and it didn't work out. So they started cutting down his minutes.

10. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

That's ridiculus, why didn't they just move him back to the 4? What a waste of a good draft pick if your gonna give up on him that fast. Oh wait, sounds just like Boki and Dunleavy Jr. :)